Passport for kids questions?

Lynzchat

Help, our first Disney cruise?

Are passports mandatory for your kids? We have one back from one of our kids, but the other one is still pending. What kind of ID is mandatory for our kids( 6 and 9)?

Are passports mandatory for your kids? We have one back from one of our kids, but the other one is still pending. What kind of ID is mandatory for our kids( 6 and 9)?

Passport is required. I know of no other alternative form of identification at this point.

We are still waiting for passports for some members of our party, but we've still got some time left.

It depends on which cruise you're taking.

:)

Dishy cream 4 night Bahamas

At this time, you are only required to have a certified birth certificate for your kids on a closed loop cruise (a cruise that leaves and returns to the same US port.) This is the minimum, if you have passports, you don't need the birth certificates.

You may get several comments about how a passport is REALLY necessary, but, since you are apparently in the process of getting the passports, I don't think you need that lecture.

At this time, you are only required to have a certified birth certificate for your kids on a closed loop cruise (a cruise that leaves and returns to the same US port.) This is the minimum, if you have passports, you don't need the birth certificates.

You may get several comments about how a passport is REALLY necessary, but, since you are apparently in the process of getting the passports, I don't think you need that lecture.

Thank you! I meant to type Disney Dream. This auto correct is awful.

This is direct from Disney site

U.S. Citizens

All Guests claiming U.S. citizenship, including children, who board a cruise ship within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present one of the following documents as proof of U.S. citizenship for each member of their party:

A valid, unexpired U.S. Passport

A valid, unexpired U.S. Passport Card

State Issued Enhanced Driver's License - this is a special type of license that provides proof of identity and US citizenship; not all states offer Enhanced Driver's Licenses please visitCenters for Disease Control and Prevention website.

By reading this they will require passports since children don't have drivers licences and those are your only options there is no mention of a birth certificate at all. I assume they want photo ID that's why no BC?

I was told by my that my 11 yr old son did not need one that he only needed his orginal birth certificate. I already had my passport and i went ahead and got him one anyway.

I was told it is not needed to take the cruise but if something were to happen and you needed to be flown out of the port for some reason then there would be problems without the passport. I am not sure how accurate that is but that is what i was told by my travel agent.

I was told by my that my 11 yr old son did not need one that he only needed his orginal birth certificate. I already had my passport and i went ahead and got him one anyway.

I was told it is not needed to take the cruise but if something were to happen and you needed to be flown out of the port for some reason then there would be problems without the passport. I am not sure how accurate that is but that is what i was told by my travel agent.

That's correct. Everyone arriving by air must have a passport. If you're somewhere outside of the US and need to fly back, you can get a temporary emergency passport from the US embassy or consulate but that might take a few days.

This is not as clear as it might seem but it may be a reason why Disney is moving the start of their Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Seattle for 2012. It is clear to us that we need one because we are flying into Vancouver.

Immigration law changed back in 2009. Cases that in the past where you may have been able to show a drivers license and/or birth certificate now require a passport.

Take a look at this link:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis_pa_tw_2223.html

It includes the "get you home" link provided earlier in this thread.

From that link there is a definition of "closed loop crusies"

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Note in the above that a passport may still be required to disembark the ship when it arrives at a foreign port.

Brief update. It appears that passports are taking about 3 weeks to be issued. We just recieved one of them in the mail and it took almost exactly that long from when we went to the post office and filed all the paperwork. We did them all at different times based on when each kid was available, so we'll see how long the others take.

Archived