Copenhagen- walking & boat ride?

Heppy

Hi,

We will be in Copenhagen Fri 12August 11, and would like to see the following in the limited time we have. Could anyone advise if this is 'do-able' in 6-7 hours. We have average fitness levels, but fail miserably when it comes to map reading!

• Little Mermaid - 10 minutes
  • Resistance Museum - about 1 hour inside
  • Ny Carlesberg Glyptotek Art Gallery - about 1 hour inside
  • Konges Haven (Kings Garden) see statue of HC Anderson
  • Roundetaarn (round tower – panoramic views)
  • Radhuspladen (Town Hall Square)
  • Nyhavn (New Harbour) boat ride 40dkk Netto Blue Bus

Heppy

You should have no problem doing this unless you get lost because of your bad map-reading skills! The museum is great. If you make that your last call, you can catch a #26 bus back to the ship nearby (Nybrogade & Stormgade). It was 22 or 24 DKK. We walked into town and took the bus back.

I believe the statue of HC Andersen is actually beside the Radhus on HC Andersens Boulevard, at least that's where he was a few weeks ago. :)

Another tip: take the canal boat tour that leaves from the middle of Nyhavn, not the one at the end. It's cheaper. And very worth it.

Have a wonderful time--Copenhagen is great!

Thanks for the advice Linda,

I guess HC Anderson's Boulevard will be well marked on the map::D

I will have to copy this to my itinery as I won't remember to choose the boat from the middle at Nyhaven if I don't.

As you might have guessed I am trying to plan ahead for this cruise, but am suffering abit from 'information overload' just now.

Heppy (Val)

they stopped at all major sites,,,and canal for tours,,,and quite prompt in picking up another,,,waited 5 min.at Little Mermaid,,or just take next one..good for those that get lost easily and not wanting to deal with bus or taxi...only $33.00 and worth it...we took canal boat at end of pier and same charge,,we checked,,plus it was filling up and other not there,,so either one is similar and good...worked for us,,,sat on top and really enjoyed it....why walk?? Can start at tourist office near Tivoli,,or just pick up if you see it....:)

Thanks for your advice,

just had a look at the websites for HO HO buses, they look to provide a good service, and we should be able to spend our time looking at the attractions rather than looking for them! 'Isango' are coming up as the cheapest at £15.50 each.

Can you reserve seats on the canal tour ahead of time or online? Also - is this the same as wht is offered with the HOHO tours?

I'm not sure if you can reserve a seat, but usually there is no waiting time. There are two companies that do the Canal Boat tour and the boats hold a lot of people. They sail very frequently also. Our boat was more than 1/2 empty on our tour. You can just walk up to the ticket window and get tickets for whatever the next ride is.

Here are a few pics and a short video of what to expect from this wonderful experience

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster358.mp4

On the boat tour you will have to duck your head to go under some very low bridges

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster281.jpg

You see some wonderful things along your journey

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster276.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster277.jpg

And you get a much different perspective of this truly magnificent city

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster284.jpg

Cheers

Len

Isango....but name of bus thats around the most,,,was City sightseeing,,,big red one with top deck,,,and no need to reserve canal tour,,lots of boats,,,can buy next one coming...used HOHO in almost all the cities in Norway,, and Denmark,...very convenient....and can pay with credit card....:D

Isango....but name of bus thats around the most,,,was City sightseeing,,,big red one with top deck,,,and no need to reserve canal tour,,lots of boats,,,can buy next one coming...used HOHO in almost all the cities in Norway,, and Denmark,...very convenient....and can pay with credit card....:D

Isango - is one of the agents that you can book tickets through on the internet. You pay in advance and receive your ticket via email. I found them when searching for HO HO tours.

Val

Thanks for the advice Linda,

I guess HC Anderson's Boulevard will be well marked on the map::D

I will have to copy this to my itinery as I won't remember to choose the boat from the middle at Nyhaven if I don't.

As you might have guessed I am trying to plan ahead for this cruise, but am suffering abit from 'information overload' just now.

Heppy (Val)

You can't miss HC Andersen's Boulevard, it's the big main street next to Tivoli.

I know what you mean about information overload, but just keep reviewing your information and you'll be surprised at how well you do in each town. I had maps and usually a copy of the Rick Steves walking tour and we did just fine. It's a great but very intensive cruise--you'll need another vacation when you get back!

Can you reserve seats on the canal tour ahead of time or online? Also - is this the same as wht is offered with the HOHO tours?

You can book the more expensive boat trip (70 Dkk) at the information centre in the centre of the town if you know you want/need say the 1 pm trip, but as Len says, it seems easy enough to walk onto these things if you can be a bit flexible, and if you do that you can take the cheaper one.

I didn't know about the cheaper one at the time :mad: but all I've since read suggests they are very similar. As Linda says, it's a great way of seeing the city

Similar-style vids for several other Baltic ports are also on that YT account.

All the best Tony

Has anyone been to Tivoli Gardens? We only have about 7 hours to see Copenhagen and don't want to spend any time on rides. It will be during daylight hours so we can't enjoy the lights. Should we spend time and money going through Tivoli Gardens?

park with rides,,,we went at nite,,and lites ok,,but most rides were filled with kids,,and not worth it for just wandering around,,,unless you want to eat at the many restaurants,,but why pay to get in,,to pay for food,,when can get better with less hassle outside park,,thats what we did...so it was a disappointment to us...for only 7 hrs..would do HOHO bus and then canal tour,,,just my opinion,,but thought Tivoli was overated in guidebooks,,,but ,,hey,,I m from Orlando area with Disney in back yard,hahaha:o

Tivoli is nice, but with a very limited time in Copenhagen, I would opt for others things to see and do. Especially if you aren't into rides.

7 hours isn't much time to see a major European city, but we all try and do our best to cram as much into that short time as we can. If Tivoli is on your so called 'Bucket List' then do it. If you don't and come home and really wanted to see it and didn't, yopu will hate yourself. Then again, if it is just a thing to maybe see, I would pass and concentrate on the many other things to see and do. Save yourself some decent money also.

Cheers

Len

Yes, with so many shore days together there won't be much time for planning whilst we're cruising, it makes me wonder how cruiserers planned before the 'internet', I suppose they had to read books!!

Val

We just returned from our cruise, ending in Copenhagen. Although we stayed overnight, we chose to limit time in the City to the 6-8 hours noted by the OP. We had been there before, and spent lunch in Tivoli, did the HOHO bus and visited the Rosenborg Palace. Each stop was great; the Tivoli is very touristy and pricey, but we wanted to see Walt Disney's inspiration for his theme park. The Palace was excellent, and can be done without a guide. The park behind the palace is also a good place for a picnic or to rest and recharge.

This time, I contacted Richard Karpen at Copenhagen Walking Tours (Google for URL) and arranged a private tour for 8 people. He does regular tours at 1030 many days of the week starting at the Tourist Office across from the entrance to The Tivoli (in addition to an afternoon tour at the Palace). This was the best part of the day, and two couples mentioned it was the highlight of their entire cruise (a feat considering we had been to more than a dozen ports on the Oceania Marina). Richard dresses and becomes Hans Christian Andersen, and the 2-hour tour was informative, fun and engaging.

Our walking tour ended at the Stock Exchange; there is a dock for the canal tours across the street. It is for the lesser expensive boat company (the difference is the more expensive one has a plexi roof, whereas the cheaper one is open- same route for both). We did the hour for 40 DKK, and then walked to a pastry shop recommended by locals. Afterward, we walked The Stroget t people watch and window shop. The day took about 6 hours.

For others considering a similar clump of things, you could add a bus ride to the Palace for the tour or go to the Tivoli (but probably not both). For lunch, there is a very nice casual restaurant next to the palace of justice just east of the Stroget where you can order the traditional open-face sandwiches; in fact, they give you the bread and an array of toppings, and you can build your own.

I might think about doing the walking tour, and then the canal boat. Do lunch, then ride the HOHO to the Palace for the tour. Stop for pastries (it is, or should be, a law to eat a "danish" in Denmark...) and then walk one of their pedestrian streets or visit the Tivoli if you must. You'd start about 1000, and can do this by about 6-7pm without rushing. The City is easy to move through with a tourist map, and is safe and clean with friendly folks who speak English almost everywhere.

Archived