First time on HAL

DLepard

I have done 2 cruises previously with Royal Carribian. I am booked on the 6/18 sailing of the Zuiderdam with HAL. HOw does HAL compare? I hear the crowd is a bit older, which is fine, IM pretty laid back and not all about partying... I am 34, look 18, but know how to act my age... I THINK ;)

I had a great time on both Cruises with Royal Carribian even when people complained at the littlest thing, so I am sure i will have a great time no matter what cruise line.

HOw does the cuisine stack up?

Activites? etc...

Entertainment?

Looking at pictures... HAL seems a bit more elegant.. but I know very little about the line. I am going with a friend... so I dont even know if we have inside or outside cabin, as that person is booking the cruise. Of course I dont care if we sleep in the boiler room!!

We enjoy the product HAL offers. Being on the Zuiderdam, you will probably find a slightly younger demographic since it sails (for now) Caribbean itineraries. But I've been on a Coral Princess sailing that was "older" than any I've encountered on HAL. Just never can tell. Even then, we had a wonderful time. So don't pay much mind to demographics per se.

The Zuiderdam is in the largest class of HAL ships, but still features the line's hallmarks: elegant surroundings, artwork and fresh flowers everywhere, and a crew eager to please. You will not likely find wet t-shirt or belly flop contests around the pool. Other than that, entertainment and activities should be similar to what you experienced on Royal Caribbean.

I believe you'll have a great time.

I have done 2 cruises previously with Royal Carribian. I am booked on the 6/18 sailing of the Zuiderdam with HAL. HOw does HAL compare? I hear the crowd is a bit older, which is fine, IM pretty laid back and not all about partying... I am 34, look 18, but know how to act my age... I THINK ;)

I had a great time on both Cruises with Royal Carribian even when people complained at the littlest thing, so I am sure i will have a great time no matter what cruise line.

HOw does the cuisine stack up?

Activites? etc...

Entertainment?

Looking at pictures... HAL seems a bit more elegant.. but I know very little about the line. I am going with a friend... so I dont even know if we have inside or outside cabin, as that person is booking the cruise. Of course I dont care if we sleep in the boiler room!!

Welcome to HAL! I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise on HAL, just keep in mind they are different and try not to compare too much and you will have a great time!

So is there anything NOT to miss on this ship? My favorite spots on Royal Caribbean are the Champagne Lounges... I am getting excited... in 3 months I will be on another cruise :) I love cruising... I think I am hoooked. (this will be my 3rd in 4 years)

So is there anything NOT to miss on this ship? My favorite spots on Royal Caribbean are the Champagne Lounges... I am getting excited... in 3 months I will be on another cruise :) I love cruising... I think I am hoooked. (this will be my 3rd in 4 years)

You may want to read up on the HAL secrets thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=50922&highlight=HAL+Tips

We just booked our first HAL cruise. The Zuiderdam 12/30/05 NewYears. We'll be traveling with our 6 year old son who has two experiences with the childrens program on RCCL.

We hear that HAL is making attempts to attract a younger crowd and in particular have improved their Club HAL program for Children. We're hoping they are successful in that regard.

My family of 3 cruised on Zuiderdam last August. (We were 32 + 32 + 12 years old ;) although I wouldn't say we look 18 :( )

Anyway, that cruise saw alot of young people/families and about 400 kids.

I am not in to partying and pool contests, but it was nice to see several of them while reading the magazine.

I think rooms/beds are nicer than on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity.

Food is definitely better than on Royal Caribbean... (both buffet and dining room). We also liked selections from room service.

Service is slower in both DR and staterooms, but still friendly and nice.

I've now idea on which RCI ships you sailed, but don't expect huge atrium on Z. It's very different, but very nice. I loved all the paintings and art!!!

Have fun! :)

(You can check our pictures from the trip in my signature.

Archived