Mens Formal Wear for Hire?

leswor

Anybody had any experience of hiring a tuxedo on a celebrity cruise? Cost and quality?

Yes you can rent a tux.

Heres the link to the Celebrity portion of the web site, just press continue and it will take you to the third party web site they use. Did not want to give you the actual link as it would be against board guidelines.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/misc/interstitials.do?pagename=interstitial_page&location=http://www.cruiselineformal.com

If you have B2B cruises they will allow you to keep the tux for both at no additional cost. I keep one for a B2B2B2B at the same cost as a single cruise.

Thanks for the heads-up... It sure will come in handy in the context of future plans!

OP... It works well--I've done it three times now and will do it again in the future--and costs about $100 including shoes if you choose to rent them too... If I have any advice it is to tell your Steward about the rental on the day you board the ship and ask that he/she deliver the tux--for try-on--as early as possible... There is a tailor aboard who can perform minor fitting tweaks if needed but you don't want to discover them as you're dressing for dinner on the first formal night...

I have rented through the ship or through the third party vendor on every cruise I have taken.

One one occasion they delivered the wrong jacket, I called the tailor and they brought the right one up immediately. Although I was a little upset at first, the jacket was brought immediately and there were no problems after that.

I will continue to rent through the ship no matter where we sail, so much easier than schlepping aroung another piece of luggage!

Please don't expect top quality. Trousers will have adjustable waist, shirt will have "fake" French Cuffs (cufflinks will work, but sleeve is not a foldover type). Studs and cufflinks are very basic. No brace buttons, so you might want to bring your own clip-type suspenders. I don't rent shoes, so I can't express an opinion. Be sure to bring your own socks.

But with all those caveats, I still rent a tux on lines like Celebrity and Princess. After all, I only wear it for about 12-14 hours on a 10 day cruise, and, even though it's not the best quality, I (and DW) still like the way I look. And I avoid the hassle of having to bring a suit or tux and being concerned about whether or not it has to be pressed. And with weight limits for luggage on airlines, renting a tux makes packing easier.

Archived