Dining in Victoria

If you go to Butchart Gardens, eat lunch there, either at their restaurant or cafeteria. It's nowhere near the pier and if you search you'll find several related threads.

Victoria used to have more restaurants per capita than any other Canadian city; unsure if it still does. The downtown area is walkable. Look around downtown and pick something that appeals to you - it'll be hard to go too far wrong.

If you like curry, check out the Bengal Lounge in the Empress Hotel - fabulous curry buffet all day long.

Butchart Gardens is about 45 minutes from the pier. They have some lovely restaurants out there from a coffee bar up to the formal dining room in the old house.

We will be in Victoria all day need good place to eat lunch and dinner that is not to far from the pier/gardens area?

Butchart Gardens is 15 miles north of downtown (where the ship docks). Which were you looking for?

If you're looking for great casual, there are two fish and chip places ON the waterfront, Barb's at Fisherman's wharf, and Red Fish Blue Fish on the downtown of the inner harbour.

If you're looking for pub food, (and great local beer), either Spinnaker's or Swan's would be just the ticket.

And the previous poster for Sam's Deli is right, they make great Deli fare.

Let us know what you're looking for, I lived in Victoria for 25+ years

Oh man, if Sam's Deli is still there on Government Street, they have the biggest and the best roast beef sandwich I ever had in my life. Apple pie, too. Insane! :D

Sam's Deli changed hands a few (three?) years ago when the owner retired and it's not the same place. I have nothing against its current offerings, they're just not the same.

I don't remember anyone mentioning Samuel's on this board. Samuel's Restaurant is in the Queen Victoria Inn, on Douglas Street a half block south (towards the pier) from the Empress Hotel. It's not your typical hotel restaurant in several respects. The staff have been there forever, always a sign of good management. The ambience is nice and the tables are far enough apart that conversations don't interfere with each other. Prices are better than one expects for the seating and the food is always good - one of the best seafood chowders in town. It's one of my favourite spots in Victoria for a nice lunch and the place I tend to go with a small party. You won't find many tourists there.

Sam's Deli changed hands a few (three?) years ago when the owner retired and it's not the same place. I have nothing against its current offerings, they're just not the same.

I don't remember anyone mentioning Samuel's on this board. Samuel's Restaurant is in the Queen Victoria Inn, on Douglas Street a half block south (towards the pier) from the Empress Hotel. It's not your typical hotel restaurant in several respects. The staff have been there forever, always a sign of good management. The ambience is nice and the tables are far enough apart that conversations don't interfere with each other. Prices are better than one expects for the seating and the food is always good - one of the best seafood chowders in town. It's one of my favourite spots in Victoria for a nice lunch and the place I tend to go with a small party. You won't find many tourists there.

I think I'd take the JBI over Samuel's. Spinnaker's have opened a small tasting bar next to Thrifty's on Simcoe, which is also likely to be excellent (although I haven't tried it). Also next door to the cruise terminal is the Ogden Point Cafe; which isn't bad either.

It really depends what you're looking for.

the JBI is the James Bay Inn - good unpretentious food. They have a restaurant and a pub. Try to find the local weekly newspaper and they offer a second main course for only $2 - but you need the coupon.

We have out of town guests who go to the pub at least once every trip for the halibut and chips.

Just back from Canada and ate at both these establishments. The pulled pork sandwich at Sam's Deli was scrumptious and our dinner (party of eight) at Samuel's was one of the best evenings on the trip.

Just back from Canada and ate at both these establishments. The pulled pork sandwich at Sam's Deli was scrumptious and our dinner (party of eight) at Samuel's was one of the best evenings on the trip.

Nice! Isn't that funny that the recommendations on this board actually worked out for you! Glad you enjoyed. :)

Archived