HAL MDR Dinner menus

rafinmd

I have a couple of questions about the menus on HAL.

Is there a standard day by day menu for a given length or does it vary from cruise to cruise? ie, as I understand RCCL, any 9-day cruise will have the same day 1 menu whether it's ship A going to NE/Canada, or ship B in the South Pacific. Other lines seem to vary the menu based on the destination and perhaps what's in season. Where does HAL fit into this spectrum?

On some lines (Crystal and Cunard for sure) our waiters will generally give us a souvenir packet of the menus for the cruise on the last night, while on others you never see the menu again once leaving the MDR (unless of course you sail with them again). Does HAL usually give out these souvenirs?

FWIW, I have early fixed dining on the Rotterdam and Prinsendam.

Thanks

Roy

AFAIK, the only people who normally get copies of the dinner menus are suite occupants (SC, SB, SA or S depending on the ship). We snagged an upsell to a suite for our last cruise and I wanted to copy the menus. The first dinner menu of each sailing is not usually provided, or so we were told when I asked where it was. As half the passengers disembarked in Los Angeles, the 3-day coastal was "a new cruise" and we didn't get a copy of that evening's menu either. When we did the "Behind the Scenes" tour, we were provided complimentary copies of all the menus up to that date which included the first night's menu.

As you have seen the blog for that trip, if someone else has recently posted copies of menus from another sailing, it might be easier than either of us thinks to get the answer to the question about whether or not they are all the same by comparing a couple to the copies on the blog. ;)

Will be interesting to learn the answer to that question! :D

On HAL, the menus are mostly standardized. There is a little variation from cruise to cruise depending on what was available or not available for order (one week maybe they have to substitute chicken for duck or different types of fish).

Also, some items on the menu are location specific (Alaska themed items like extra salmon and basked Alaska, Mediterranean casseroles, etc.). However most of the items are constant from sailing location to sailing location.

The first and last formal menus are also common from ship to ship, although the timing of those two nights can vary sooner or later, so the order in which the menus are served does vary.

Archived