Referral coupon credit refused by Seabourn

casperthecat

Several months ago I passed a coupon on to another member but did not have a current booking myself. A few days ago I booked for later this year and sent Seabourn UK an e-mail just to double check that the referral credit was on my account. They have just refused to honour the voucher because I have booked a Veranda Guarantee grade rather than a specific cabin.

Is this a new condition they have just invented or has it happened to anyone else? I don't recall anyone mentioning this previously so I'm not sure whether to take it further or not. They have said I can use the credit on another voyage as long as I do not book a discounted grade.

I would call your TA and have him/her take this up with a supervisor at SB. What you were told is totally insulting.

Host Dan

BTW GTY rates are NOT discounted.

I would call your TA and have him/her take this up with a supervisor at SB. What you were told is totally insulting.

Host Dan

BTW GTY rates are NOT discounted.

I agree - however, at least in the UK you get a cheaper price if you book a guarantee rather than specifying your suite. And of course often get a higher grade than you were expecting - but do not rely on this!:)

I agree - however, at least in the UK you get a cheaper price if you book a guarantee rather than specifying your suite. And of course often get a higher grade than you were expecting - but do not rely on this!:)

Thank you for the clarification. It still doesn't seem fair at all.

Host Dan

Thanks for your responses. I have never seen it written anywhere but apparently the refusal came from Seattle, not the UK. I asked for a copy of the note on my booking but they refused to give me any more detail. She told me to contact my TA, but I said that the referral credit and my latest booking were separate and therefore nothing to do with the TA.

I will call my TA, but I first wanted to check if this was something experienced by other travellers or a new way to annoy people who have already booked and therefore who will lose a lot of money if we cancel (I realise US bookings can be cancelled with no charge but not so here).

Just to be sure I was correct, I have looked up on the UK Seabourn website for a cruise on Odyssey on 22nd August. Sure enough, an 'oceanview' suite (which means guarantee) is £1599, whereas a grade A suite is £1999. A 'veranda' suite is £1799, a V1 is £2199. I know some people do not believe that guarantees are cheaper - maybe they are not in other countries. Obviously if you book through an Agent you should get some discount, but I think the differentiation still aplies.

However, I completely agree that not to honour a referral credit is appalling.

Lincslady, you are absolutely correct. I paid less for my Veranda Guarantee than I would have for a specified V1 cabin and I also got a discount from my TA. However, what concerns me is that this policy has come from nowhere. It probably wouldn't have stopped me booking, but it leaves a nasty taste in one's mouth in that I have been penalised for taking a lower priced offer. I am fulling expecting to be allocated a V1 (I never win anything in a raffle!!), and I am fine with that. I just think that this policy is underhanded and duplicitous.

I don't think Seabourn aka HAL should change policies like that without notification and a start date. Seems illegal, contract-wise. While we may not like it, with prior notice, we can at least follow the rules. Doesn't appear that they are.

I just booked a guarantee and got the Amex credit, though it was a last minute purchase, and there wasn't anything left but guarantees. TA did have to argue to get the added credit promised in the promotion.

What kind of marketing genius spends millions on advertising the luxury, exclusivity, and top notch service of their product, then ruins it all with a bottom level employee insulting the customers over $300? Take some of your advertising budget and train the people who have first contact with your customers for heaven's sake.

I don't think it will happen with the Amex Platinum OBC because that comes from Amex, not Seabourn. One's TA has to call Amex to get the tracking number for the credit then give that to SB. Always wise to follow up to make sure it has been applied.

"I don't think it will happen with the Amex Platinum OBC because that comes from Amex, not Seabourn."

wripro- no problem getting the Amex OBC, but as stated in my post above, SB does not like to honor any other OBC in addition to the Amex one. It makes me wonder who does pay for the Amex OBC- are you sure it is Amex?

Archived