NCL Dawn ?? re tips/service charge

LizG12

I only cruised a free-style cruise once before and I don't remember how the tips/service charges went.

Who has to be tipped in cash (besides the dockside porters) and who can be tipped with the charges going to the room?

IIRC, the cabin steward tips (service charge, whatever) can be on the room, and I think there was a general waitstaff charge to the room too. What about bar charges? The drinks are charged to the room, what about the tip? The maitre d & head waiter? I don't remember if they were cash-only or not. And it's been a few years so maybe all the cash-only people back then aren't cash-only anymore.

Room service I remember was cash tips, but some of the guys were in&out of the room so fast you didn't have time to give them a tip.

I'm just trying to get an idea of how much cash-for-tips I need to bring. I checked the NCL FAQ page but I didn't see this info out there.

Thanks!

I only cruised a free-style cruise once before and I don't remember how the tips/service charges went.

Who has to be tipped in cash (besides the dockside porters) and who can be tipped with the charges going to the room?

IIRC, the cabin steward tips (service charge, whatever) can be on the room, and I think there was a general waitstaff charge to the room too. What about bar charges? The drinks are charged to the room, what about the tip? The maitre d & head waiter? I don't remember if they were cash-only or not. And it's been a few years so maybe all the cash-only people back then aren't cash-only anymore.

Room service I remember was cash tips, but some of the guys were in&out of the room so fast you didn't have time to give them a tip.

I'm just trying to get an idea of how much cash-for-tips I need to bring. I checked the NCL FAQ page but I didn't see this info out there.

Thanks!

NCL now calls it a "service charge", or in one instance, a "hotel service fee"....which are the tips for the room stewards, waitstaff in the dining venues (main dining room, buffet, pizza stand, etc.) The head waiter is included in that fee. The maitre'D is not -- but I usually don't tip him unless it's obvious he does something special for me...not just walk around the last night, palm extended! (which seems to be the only time I've seen him!) The service charge (last time I cruised NCL it was $11 a day..may be more now?) is billed to your account, payable at the end of the cruise.

Every bar drink, including soft drinks, comes with the charge for the drink, and a 15% gratuity. You sign the slip, and it gets charged to your account. If you want to leave a tip, you can, but it's not necessary.

Generally it's nice to tip the room service delivery person. But you're right..they're in/out so quick I don't always catch them. But that's about it.

Have a great cruise!

Archived