Cruise DVD--utter rubbish!

I'll agree with the money involved RC can step up the video camera quality and perhaps offer a blue ray edition, that would make the stock footage more tolerable. My experience has been that the shorter the cruise, the more stock footage and less actual cruise footage. On our Freedom 7 day cruise we were in the video a lot and there was a nice balance of actual cruise footage and stock pieces.

Probably what angered me the most was on our Navigator 5 day cruise. We wouldn't have bought the DVD at all, except the Quest game was especially memorable and the RC minions were right at the exit of the game selling the DVD which implied to me that there would be footage of the event on that DVD. There wasn't. That DVD was a huge disappointment.

I didn't even think to buy in on our last Allure cruise as we were very low profile and didn't do much other than relax and have a good time. We never even considered the DVD for our Majesty cruises. I might have bought the Allure one if it was Blue Ray.

Got a Cruise in Review DVD on the Navigator in 2005. This one was GREAT! Lots of stuff from our own cruise, including interviews from people who were actually on our cruise. Got it on the Oasis, and there was literally NO FOOTAGE from our cruise, and this was the INAUGURAL!!!!!!!! They told us that they forgot to take any video of that cruise...??? Granted, it was free...but still. Got another one on the Navigator in April thinking that it would be a good one again. Nope, I could have made it in iMovie. Didn't get one on the Allure.

We were at the photo shop ordering Christmas cards on the Allure last Saturday afternoon when my husband said, "Oh, we forgot to order the DVD". One of the photo shop employees heard me tell DH that I didn't want it because I heard it was almost all stock footage, and she just grinned at me - she didn't say a word to try to sell us on it. BTW, the Christmas cards were very nice and a reasonable price - $25 for 25 cards.

Maybe it is RCL thing. My mum bought one from a Princess cruise. Not only was it a very good quality DVD, we found that it was definitely our cruise, as she happened to be filmed several times.

BTW the port sequences were on a different DVD that we did not purchase.

Did not know it is a "newbie" thing. Have been on this board for more then a year and is the first time I have heard of it. Which is good, as probably my Mum would not have this great memento.

Maybe it is RCL thing. My mum bought one from a Princess cruise. Not only was it a very good quality DVD, we found that it was definitely our cruise, as she happened to be filmed several times.

Not just an RCL thing, though they are related.

Bought the DVD from a 14 day cruise on Celebrity, and it was about 2/3 stock footage, with the only new bits a couple of days where the ship hadn't gone before. It kinda stood out as one port was mostly closed down when we there, yet in the video was completely busy, and another port had plenty of rain, but the video had sun everywhere! Worse was the 'info' segment where they'd dubbed over the voiceover with some muzak, so you couldn't even understand what was being said; it was mostly inaudible.

Archived