Norweigan Star to Alaska Disaster

mwh27

I think you have to realize that NCL would have a very difficult time staying on top of every countries immigration laws and keep their website current.

Oh no, they do keep up to date with all countries immigration laws. How could they not? When I was told we couldn't board without my wife having a Canadian visa I was shown a list of all countries that need a Canadian visa. Not only that, i was handed a piece of paper explaining that I would be able to fly ahead and meet the ship after proper documentation was secured. This piece of paper was handed out 20 times that day and probably 20 times today when people were unable to board without a Canadian visa. The Star heads to Alaska every Sat.

I was getting on a cruise ship in Seattle and going to Alaska. i didn't even pay attention to the fact that the ship would port in Prince Ruppert Canada or wherever it ported in Canada. Yes, I will accept 50% of the blame here.

I have found out from other sites that yes, indeed other cruise lines do send you and email/call you on the telephone when you will need a visa for one of the passengers.

We ended up flying to Vegas for the week and still had a solid vacation. I just think that all cruise lines should have some fail safes in place for this type of a situation. Perhaps a Canadian customs agent there on site that can do a quick background check and issue a 7 day Visa? Damn, i would have paid $500 for that visa right then.

To the person that said how did I speak to the concierge if I didn't go on the ship, there was also a concierge office at the port where you could leave luggage and such.

I'm not trying to over dramatize this incident. As I stated. I do accept some of the blame. But, how can NCL not give me cruise credit for a future cruise? That's all I am really asking for. They still haven't responded to my fax and when I call customer service they just tell me to fax it again and wait 15 days.

This was my 2nd NCL cruise and I actually preferred NCL over RC up to this point.

Also, they obviously have a list of people that were unable to board for whatever reason on every cruise. How do I not get a courtesy email saying we are sorry or what not? They sure knew my email when they were shooting off spa promotions.

Life will go on if I don't receive a cruise credit, but I sure think I should and I will never sail on NCL again if I don't.

I'm not trying to be the bad guy that some of you are trying to make me out to be.

When I booked my air reservations to India from the US I had to enter my passport number. They did not ask for a visa number at any point of the reservation process. However at the airport I needed that visa in order to fly. How did I find out I needed a visa? I looked it up on-line. I went to the Indian Embassy on-line and they provided the forms and listed all the required info/paperwork I would need to get that visa.

Congratulations.

I am not sure anybody thinks you are a bad guy. You and your wife made a mistake. a big mistake. you did not research the requirements. You did not even read the info NCL sent you. evidently your wife did not read it either. Expensive lesson, your expensive lesson, not NCL's.

My husband has tried to get visa info from other cruise lines. They will not give it to him, evidently because they don't want the responsibility. They state clearly that it is the passenger'sresponsibilty. DH finds it frustrating, but we suck it up and research it ourselves or we try to find a really good travel agent. It is not just NCL. In the future do the research so you have the documentation you need.

I would say the same to an acquaintance in person, as politely as possible, but they need to hear it.

I am glad you had fun in Vegas.

Regardless whether you feel the poster is personally irresponsible for not insuring he had completely researched the particulars of this cruise..or not....and even if you feel that you personally would never have found yourselves in this situation, because you never let anything slip past you, beside the point. It's about marketing a product, service, or whatever. If...you have a unique situation that is a particular situation, in this case port or sailing, that is causing repeated occurrences that are leaving your customers unable to readily comprehend what, to you, should be obvious, then you seem to have an issue that should be addressed (just good business). I will assume the poster is correct when he said that this happened to 20 or so persons. Now, if it was happening to just one person every third cruise , then we (a company) could just say, "well, what an idiot we left standing there on the dock". But we (a company focused on customer service) just can't look down at the 20 or so persons left standing on the same dock as our ship sails away each week and say, "look at those 20 idiots again this week". If it is indeed recurring, and the reason can be determined to be a unique situation as it apparently is in this case, then we (the company) can within our marketing and resources depts conjure up a more user/customer friendly method to correct it. Just good business.

Regardless whether you feel the poster is personally irresponsible for not insuring he had completely researched the particulars of this cruise..or not....and even if you feel that you personally would never have found yourselves in this situation, because you never let anything slip past you, beside the point. It's about marketing a product, service, or whatever. If...you have a unique situation that is a particular situation, in this case port or sailing, that is causing repeated occurrences that are leaving your customers unable to readily comprehend what, to you, should be obvious, then you seem to have an issue that should be addressed (just good business). I will assume the poster is correct when he said that this happened to 20 or so persons. Now, if it was happening to just one person every third cruise , then we (a company) could just say, "well, what an idiot we left standing there on the dock". But we (a company focused on customer service) just can't look down at the 20 or so persons left standing on the same dock as our ship sails away each week and say, "look at those 20 idiots again this week". If it is indeed recurring, and the reason can be determined to be a unique situation as it apparently is in this case, then we (the company) can within our marketing and resources depts conjure up a more user/customer friendly method to correct it. Just good business.

You just summed up my points exactly. Thank you for doing so.

Not only did I see with my own eyes a family of 8 crying with all their luggage sitting there on the curb in front of the port, but also, the taxi driver that took us to the airport to go to Vegas saw my wife crying a little. He asked what was wrong and we told him what happened and he said he sees it every week. I really don't have any reason to lie about this.

I'm glad that most of the people here are a lot more vacation savvy then i am. Congratulations on that. I could not be more proud of you. However, when you take a vacation in North America from start to finish you just don't think you need a Canadian visa and I never thought to even check. Yes, my bad. But, when NCL is sending me out spa promotions, perhaps they could have sent me one special email that said "The Mexican passenger will need a Canadian visa." That is all.

You just summed up my points exactly. Thank you for doing so.

Not only did I see with my own eyes a family of 8 crying with all their luggage sitting there on the curb in front of the port, but also, the taxi driver that took us to the airport to go to Vegas saw my wife crying a little. He asked what was wrong and we told him what happened and he said he sees it every week. I really don't have any reason to lie about this.

I'm glad that most of the people here are a lot more vacation savvy then i am. Congratulations on that. I could not be more proud of you. However, when you take a vacation in North America from start to finish you just don't think you need a Canadian visa and I never thought to even check. Yes, my bad. But, when NCL is sending me out spa promotions, perhaps they could have sent me one special email that said "The Mexican passenger will need a Canadian visa." That is all.

Having read through this entire thread, I have to agree with the majority here... it is entirely the OPs responsibility. In fact, the following was copied from my confirmation; & it was right there on the 1st page. I've taken the liberty of coloring the pertinent statements in red so the OP can see where the statement is.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

For general questions please contact a Personal Cruise Consultant at 1-866-234-0292.

Ground Transportation:

Ground Transportation is available for purchase on all Air/Sea and Cruise-only reservations; transportation request for cruise-only guest will require guest’s independent air information to be given to NCL and be within the recommended flight arrival and departure times for your cruise. Ground Transportation is subject to standard cancellation policy. To make arrangements, please contact NCL at 866-931-6743.

Documentation:

A valid passport is strongly recommended for all guests for any itinerary where there is a stop in a foreign port. In addition to your passport, a visa may be required. Visa requirements vary by country and are subject to change. For the appropriate requirements based on your itinerary and nationality please contact your travel professional, local immigration office or www.ncl.com/traveldocs. It is the guest's

responsibility to obtain required visas and other documentation prior to sailing, including vaccinations for infectious diseases.

So... man up dude! It's time for you to bear 100% of the responsibility, as NCL actually did let you about potential problems before you traveled to the port of departure. As for your statement that you didn't realize the ship stopped in Canada... didn't you look at the itinerary? Of course you didn't... that was on page two! :rolleyes:

Some posters responding here start off with "I am sorry......". This may sound harsh, but I have no sympathy for you. I see all over NCL documentation that sez "It is the PASSENGER'S RESPONSIBILITY to have the proper documentation" You should have done more homework to find out what documentation your wife, being a non us citizen would need to travel. Depending upon a script from a web site form to inform you what you would need above and beyond a birth cert. or a passport is negligence on your part!

Sometimes people just like to show compassion for other people who have been through an ordeal, regardless of whos fault it is. It's pretty obvious that he didn't read his documentation properly but who would wish this situation on anyone. I hope the next time you make a mistake, you don't get jumped on. And I'll say I'm sorry in advance just in case you don't want to mention it in a forum.

Well, apparently I am not a very seasoned traveler either (hint: I am), because I can easily see how this can happen.

LEGALLY, NCL is not at fault. The OP was sent the docs, should have read them all, and didn't. That is legal.

Practically, I have NEVER, ever read all of the docs sent to me. Not once. I have cruised several times when we had one of these types of cruises where it was primarily North American with a stop in another country. I honestly would never think about that particular country's requirements (I will now).

I do agree that the OP's method of dealing with this is probably not the wisest. Just simply based on tone alone, NCL will see this as a legal matter completely, and they will not see it as a customer service matter (hint: a more courteous tone gives them the idea you may sail with them in the future. Based on your fax, it is obvious you will not). Legally, they are free and clear and threatening them will not help at all.

I do feel terrible that this happened to you, and certainly hope NCL does a better job clearing this up for future pax.

Final ? to the OP: You mention wanting to be reimbursed for your travel, etc (which will not happen). Were you reimbursed for the cost of your cruise?

Best post of the thread. The way things have been going downhill, it's likely the best post of the year.

NCL doesn't want to assume that responsibility, just as many travel providers don't. Yes, they could. They don't want to. They put the information out there and it is up to each traveller to arrange the appropriate documentation. Yes, it is a recurring issue but it is a recurring issue to a statistically insignificant number of passengers (I know, if it happens to you it's a statistically significant 100%, but I'm talking about from corporate's perspective).

And even if they did have some sort of system in place they would still have people showing up with the wrong documentation (how many people show up with a hospital certificate in place of a state issued birth certificate?).

I'm not trying to over dramatize this incident. As I stated. I do accept some of the blame. But, how can NCL not give me cruise credit for a future cruise?

While you say you accept 50% of the blame in NCL's eyes it's 100%. From a legal standpoint they owe you nothing (and from a legal standpoint is the only way they are likely to look at this issue now). If you are persistent you may be able to receive some sort of credit for a future cruise from them. It will take a while but you might. I only doubt that you will get anything close to a full cash refund.

Oh no, they do keep up to date with all countries immigration laws. How could they not? When I was told we couldn't board without my wife having a Canadian visa I was shown a list of all countries that need a Canadian visa. Not only that, i was handed a piece of paper explaining that I would be able to fly ahead and meet the ship after proper documentation was secured. Which is clearly stated in your cruise documents from NCL. Along with the fact that it is the guest's responsibility to obtain required visas and other documentation prior to sailing, including vaccinations for infectious diseases.

I was getting on a cruise ship in Seattle and going to Alaska. i didn't even pay attention to the fact that the ship would port in Prince Ruppert Canada or wherever it ported in Canada. Yes, I will accept 50% of the blame here. You didn't even know you were stopping in Canada? How on earth did you not know? The itinerary is right there in front of you, no matter how you book. Even if you would just call the 1-800 number to book, they state the itinerary of the ship. 50% of the blame? I don't think so.

I have found out from other sites that yes, indeed other cruise lines do send you and email/call you on the telephone when you will need a visa for one of the passengers.

We ended up flying to Vegas for the week and still had a solid vacation. I just think that all cruise lines should have some fail safes in place for this type of a situation. Perhaps a Canadian customs agent there on site that can do a quick background check and issue a 7 day Visa? Damn, i would have paid $500 for that visa right then.

To the person that said how did I speak to the concierge if I didn't go on the ship, there was also a concierge office at the port where you could leave luggage and such.

I'm not trying to over dramatize this incident. As I stated. I do accept some of the blame. But, how can NCL not give me cruise credit for a future cruise? That's all I am really asking for. They still haven't responded to my fax and when I call customer service they just tell me to fax it again and wait 15 days. Not trying to over-dramatize? Just the name of your thread is dramatizing...you know people would be drawn to a thread with a title like that. How can NCL not give you a cruise credit for a future cruise? Because you don't need one. The responsibility for correct documentation falls SOLELY on the guest. NCL shouldn't have to hold your hand and make sure everything is there. You are a responsible adult, right?

This was my 2nd NCL cruise and I actually preferred NCL over RC up to this point.

Also, they obviously have a list of people that were unable to board for whatever reason on every cruise. How do I not get a courtesy email saying we are sorry or what not? They sure knew my email when they were shooting off spa promotions.

Life will go on if I don't receive a cruise credit, but I sure think I should and I will never sail on NCL again if I don't. Well, have fun sailing on another line. But, I would be willing to bet money on the fact that you will make sure you have all of your documentation, won't you? Oh, and who's fault would it be that you actually have learned to have all of your required documentation????? That would be NCL - maybe you should be writing them a thank you note.

I'm not trying to be the bad guy that some of you are trying to make me out to be.

I just want to add that I do feel for your wife not being able to go on the cruise, but for something like an Alaskan vacation (which many people never get to experience in their lifetime), I would think you would have been better prepared. Would I have been mad and upset if it happened to me? Certainly, however I READ all of my documentation PRIOR to going on a cruise so I don't get left standing at the dock on embarkation day.

I just can't imagine going anywhere these days without making sure you have all of the correct paperwork/documentation completed and in hand.

Well, I AM sorry this happened to you, and I'd call it a disaster too.

Anyway. One thing I've concluded in the past 15 years or so is that modern business is understaffed with poorly trained help. While I can certainly see why it would be to NCL's (or any other lines) benefit to watch out for you in cases like this, I never-Never-EVER depend on a company for something as important as this. Don't read into that. I'm not trying to paint you as anything at all. Just my observations. Modern business is a shell of what it used to be, and the folks running big companies don't even seem to realize it, because it's been so thinly run for so long now.

I don't imagine you're going to get a refund at all. In the old days they may have offered you some type of discount to get you back. Wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Before I get punched in the face for that comment. My thinking is that they don't make any money on the fare. It would be to a cruisline's benefit to have you on board spending money, and being happy enough to rebook. YMMV

First of all: you are right about many customer service agents (centainly not all) not being trained and companies being understaffed but no one can expect any company to be prepared to handle every detail on country doc requirements and 2-of course the ship would like to go out full, but they can not allow anyone to sail without the government required documents.

Nita

Hey Nita, although I agree this guy really messed up. The reservation form does ask for country of birth and what passport you are using. Given that, you hit the nail on the head, there are so many possible situations the cruise lines or airlines could never keep up. We are all responsible for our choices. I think these folks were trying to drum up a little support, and of course, that's not going to fly on this board. Most here will call it as they see it I think.

It's an unfortunate situation for these folks, but should be a learning experience for a lot of future cruisers.

Cruise on!!!;)

Hi, hope you are having a good summer. Yes, the online check-in does ask for the infomration, and it would be wonderful if the computer was set up to flag something like this> I am sure someday they will be, but rules and requirements change so often. I know I wouldn't want the pressures associated with trying to keep each country's requirements straight.

Nita

and you do not understand the concept of legal. It is not up to airlines, cruise ships or anyone to take it upon themselve to advise someone of what docs are needied. They are doing nothing but opening themselves up to a law suit it they give poor advise.

Nita

I believe you are once again providing your opinion without any imperical data to support the statement. Your previous emplyoment prior to being a travel agent did not include a law degree, right? If you look at the following link from NCL's web site, you will see that NCL does advise the required documention. http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=VisaRequirements

Oh no, they do keep up to date with all countries immigration laws. How could they not? When I was told we couldn't board without my wife having a Canadian visa I was shown a list of all countries that need a Canadian visa. Not only that, i was handed a piece of paper explaining that I would be able to fly ahead and meet the ship after proper documentation was secured. This piece of paper was handed out 20 times that day and probably 20 times today when people were unable to board without a Canadian visa. The Star heads to Alaska every Sat.

I was getting on a cruise ship in Seattle and going to Alaska. i didn't even pay attention to the fact that the ship would port in Prince Ruppert Canada or wherever it ported in Canada. Yes, I will accept 50% of the blame here.

I'm not trying to over dramatize this incident. As I stated. I do accept some of the blame. But, how can NCL not give me cruise credit for a future cruise? That's all I am really asking for. They still haven't responded to my fax and when I call customer service they just tell me to fax it again and wait 15 days.

Life will go on if I don't receive a cruise credit, but I sure think I should and I will never sail on NCL again if I don't.

sorry, this is not totally true about other cruiselines always notifying the cruiser about requirements, In fact most of the time if you ask them they will refer to the state Dept. I deal with these issues from time to time. The only thing I agree with you on is: NCL should at least send you a letter or email saying how sorry they were about this. Other than that, you say it was 1/2 your fault, I would say it was all your fault. This isn't saying it could not have happened to any of us, but it is still your fault.

I just ordered something from E-Bay last week. In was something I had wanted for quite awhile and the price was great. Long story, when it arrived I opened it and was about to raise holy You know what, because instead of being what I had order or thought I did, it was bunch of parts, no base, no nothing. It was offered in an area where you would not expect only part of something. When I went back to check (before calling the seller or emailing Ebay) I realized indeed the description did say parts, not total appliance. Should it have been clearer? sure, was it my fault, you better believe it.

Even if it was only 50% your fault as you seem to think, remember also, if a company offers anything it can be considered them assuming some responsibility and now we have the sue happy people saying, Look x and x admits such and such.

Nita

How many people ever read all their documentation, or any kind of agreement from beginning to end. How many times have you installed software and just automatically check the "I Agree" box. You have no idea what you are agreeing to. You're always told read the owners manual first when you buy something. How many people do. Does this mean we are off the hook....nope. We have to take and accept responsibility. Having said that though, if NCL knows this is a common problem, maybe they could put a little extra effort into notifying passengers of such. IMO this is just good customer service, which I think is something we are all looking for.

Maybe if the passenger's approach was to "ask" for partial credit as a result of an unfortunate situation, NCL may have been a little more understanding. I would be very interested to know what their final position is.

I agree 100% that I was given something in fine print at the bottom of one of the emails they sent me about needing a Canadian visa. However, when they asked for the passport info and I typed in that one of the passports was from Mexico then why wasn't I immediately asked for the Canadian visa number? That way I would have known for sure that my wife needed one. Does that make sense? I should have never even been able to register for the cruise without typing in the Canadian visa number.

Also, if my wife was the only one that wasn't able to board that day I would have probably accepted a little more of the blame, but when there are near 20 people sitting there unable to board for the same reason, then there is an NCL problem.

Plus when the NCL concierge tells me that it happens every week, then there is an NCL problem. How they don't have a Canadian consulate rep there for an immediate temporary visa fix is beyond me. Background checks take less then 5 mins.

If its any consolation....and I'm sure it is not, I saw the same thing happening on the opposite coast last week in NYC. I wasboarding a Carnival Ship bound for Canada and there were no less than 20 people crying in the terminal being denied boarding. It seems to be an industruy wide problem because Carnival owns Princess, Holland America and Cunard. I doubt it is any better with them. This is a terrible thing and feel horrible for you and your wife........

I wasboarding a Carnival Ship bound for Canada and there were no less than 20 people crying in the terminal being denied boarding.

That is exactly what I saw in Seattle.

According to the majority here, it's 100% the customers fault and the cruise companies are doing the best that they can to make the customer aware of what visa they need. What a joke.

I'm not saying this is just an NCL issue, but one poster said that Princess sent them an email and gave them a phone call to make sure they were aware that they needed a Canadian visa. Now that's customer service.

Like I said many times before. They knew a passenger with a Mexican passport would be boarding. They knew that passenger would need a Canadian visa. They sent me and my wife many emails about spa promotions and other promotions, but not one email to let us know that the Mexican passport holder would need a Canadian visa.

Even as a U.S. passport holder that travels often overseas I routinely check the countries I plan to visit in case a visa is needed. Laws change and often without fanfare if you aren't checking the local news websites. This next cruise is to the Bahamas so nothing needed there, but I did check to make sure. (I never figured I would have to have one for Australia, but I did!)

So, if I were a NON-U.S. passport holder I would be constantly checking what I personally need to enter a foreign country before leaving home, and at least 3 months in advance in case of delayed (read slow) officals. Your wife should be aware of that, as Mexico doesn't have the preferred nation status of many other countries.

Sorry things didn't work out for your cruise, but the cruise line did their job by not allowing you to board without the proper documents. Sorry, but now you know. U.S. citizens get a lot of breaks when travelling, many other nationals are not so lucky.

First of all: you are right about many customer service agents (centainly not all) not being trained and companies being understaffed but no one can expect any company to be prepared to handle every detail on country doc requirements and 2-of course the ship would like to go out full, but they can not allow anyone to sail without the government required documents.

Nita

Whatever.

While I have a great deal of sympathy for the poster one has to take responsibility for their actions. We just finished a cruise on the Jade and prior to going despite the information found on the NCL site we sent an email to all of the countries we were visiting to confirm visa requirements. We wanted to make sure there would be no surprises. The information is also clearly spelled out on the NCL web site. This is also a reason to book with a reputable travel agent. People going on cruises must remember they are visiting a number of foreign countries and each of these countries have their own entry requirements set out in their laws.

That is exactly what I saw in Seattle.

According to the majority here, it's 100% the customers fault and the cruise companies are doing the best that they can to make the customer aware of what visa they need. What a joke.

I'm not saying this is just an NCL issue, but one poster said that Princess sent them an email and gave them a phone call to make sure they were aware that they needed a Canadian visa. Now that's customer service.

Like I said many times before. They knew a passenger with a Mexican passport would be boarding. They knew that passenger would need a Canadian visa. They sent me and my wife many emails about spa promotions and other promotions, but not one email to let us know that the Mexican passport holder would need a Canadian visa.

The emails they send out are emails to everyone, not personalized to you.

Seriously, this is ridiculous. Imagine NCL did have the capability to send you a reminder email, but somehow it got lost in your junk folder. Should it be their fault that you didn't read it? Someone else said that people never read all of the documentation. In this case ALL YOU HAD TO DO was read below the itinerary in your e-docs. If you couldn't even be bothered to read that, then why should it be even a tiny bit of NCL's fault?

And yes, I would say all of this to your face as it isn't rude - it's just the truth. Should NCL also have sent you an email to say "LOOK - THIS IS YOUR ITINERARY - TAKE A CLOSER LOOK." Of course not.

Archived