Mailing letters/postcards from onboard?

katanna

Hey guys, I want to send letters/postcards from onboard a cruise (we have lots of ports of calls so they should get out easily). If I remember from my last cruise they had easy access to "mailboxes" to send letters from, but I wasn't 100% sure I remembered correctly.

Also I was wondering about the price. We are doing an Alaskan cruise so only the last day (Vancouver) will be out of the U.S.. At any time do I need to pay more than usual ($.29 for postcards)?

I have been on two cruises in the past 5 years but I feel like such a noob asking this question!

Matthew

Matthew, we mail our post cards on the cruise ship all of the time. They normally charge the same amount no matter where we are sailing.

You would be best to ask the question on the cruise line board for the line you are sailing since prices likely vary cruise line to cruise line.

If we are in the USA we bring stamps with us and usually just find a mail box ourselves.

Keith

Looks like you are on Princess. They give outgoing mail to their agent a little before sailing. I think they say to have stuff to the purser's desk 60 or 90 minutes before sailing. You can supply your own stamps or buy them from Princess.

On HAL ships, you can go to front office (or Neptune Lounge if staying in a Deluxe Veranda or Penthouse Suite), purchase local stamp and drop mail in the 'mail slot' right beside the desk. Port Agent delivers and picks up mail from every port and your postcards will be removed from the ship at the next port after you drop it in the box.

How long it takes to receive it in the mail is a whole different thing. It can take a very long time.

Be certain to purchase the stamp for the port from which the mail will be sent.

You have to use the stamps from whatever country you are in - a 29cent US postage stamp won't be any good. The ship will normally have the appropriate stamps. Most countries have much higher postage rates than the US. I have paid up to the equivalent of $1 to mail a postcard somewhere in South America - I think Chile but not sure of that.

Marianne

My first and second cruise I mailed postcards from the ports we were in that day from the ship, and I was home several weeks in one case before the person received the card in the mail. Now I save the stamp and postcard and bring back keychains or fridge magnets. lol

Hey guys, I want to send letters/postcards from onboard a cruise (we have lots of ports of calls so they should get out easily). If I remember from my last cruise they had easy access to "mailboxes" to send letters from, but I wasn't 100% sure I remembered correctly.

Also I was wondering about the price. We are doing an Alaskan cruise so only the last day (Vancouver) will be out of the U.S.. At any time do I need to pay more than usual ($.29 for postcards)?

I have been on two cruises in the past 5 years but I feel like such a noob asking this question!

Matthew

Yes Matthew, Alaska is one of the 50 United States and standard U.S. postage applies in all ports in Alaska.

Scott & Karen

Yes Matthew, Alaska is one of the 50 United States and standard U.S. postage applies in all ports in Alaska.

Scott & Karen

You don't have to be snarky about it (especially since it has been answered five times over), but even then my question was about mailing from the ship not mailing from the port, so your snarky reply was useless.

Matthew

Originally Posted by CaveDiving

You don't have to be snarky about it (especially since it has been answered five times over), but even then my question was about mailing from the ship not mailing from the port, so your snarky reply was useless.

Matthew

Hello Matthew,

Tsk, tsk. We are a bit sensitive and embarrassed about asking a really stupid question, aren't we.

BTW, until my post, your question had not been answered.

Scott & Karen

Archived