Maho beach

paulekrause

We also did Maho when In St. Martin a couple of weeks ago. We had time to first go to Marigot and explore the French side's capitol for nearly 3 hours before heading to Maho around noon. Stayed at Sunset Grill with a shady patio spot overlooking the bay, the beach and the landing strip and had a good lunch while watching many planes take off and land for 2 hours. Leaving at 2PM we had plenty of time to return to port and shop in the quayside stores and make it back to the ship well before our 4:30 last call.

I would suggest leaving at 2:30 to be safe. You have to cross a bridge that opens to allow boats to pass. As a result automobile traffic can back up and be rather slow in the afternoon. You don't want to risk missing your ship.

See my post above regarding traffic and the bridge.

gary

I too don't get it, don't we usually go to the beach for beauty, solitude and relaxation? You could see those big, noisey machines anywhere in the states. The planes fly over the freeway in San Diego so save yourself some money and go there. This must be a guy thing.:DWhen we go to St. Maarten in November we will be on beautiful, and much quieter Orient Beach!!!:)

I too don't get it, don't we usually go to the beach for beauty, solitude and relaxation? You could see those big, noisey machines anywhere in the states. The planes fly over the freeway in San Diego so save yourself some money and go there. This must be a guy thing.:DWhen we go to St. Maarten in November we will be on beautiful, and much quieter Orient Beach!!!:)

Most of the big jets that I see are six to seven miles away. At Maho Beach they are much closer. :)

It's not just a guy thing. :D I loved watching the planes land in St Martin with my DH and friends in September 2010. We did a private tour with Bernard and requested 3 hours at Maho Beach to watch the planes land. The majority of our group were women and we could care less about shopping or Orient Beach...we are plane nuts! :D

Oh, and we will be watching the planes again in January.

Lisa

We definitely plan on heading to Maho to see the planes! Approx how much does it cost for a taxi from the pier? Also how do I get a taxi back? Are there plenty around or would I be able to make arrangements with the one that brought us there? Thanks.

Taxi rate chart:

http://www.taxistmaarten.com/images/stories/Destinationsnew.JPG

We were just there. We were quoted $9 pp for my family of 5. 2 other passengers joined us. When we got out, I asked the price again, and he told me "$9.00 pp". I listened as he told the other 2 people, $8 pp. (see chart prices).

In the future I would ask to pay the stated rate based on how many passengers were actually in the vehicle, because they do try to pack you in. Do this before you leave so things are clear.

Our driver actually stayed and waited for us, although we told him that we did not know how long we would be at Maho. The other couple was ready to go about 1/2 hour before us, but he made them wait until we were looking for a ride. There were several other taxi cabs waiting around as well. Our ship was the only one in port so maybe that made a difference.

Archived