Quick tipping question

User Error

We're planning on leaving the autotip on of course but I was wondering, when we board the ship and meet our cabin steward, do they have to submit monies that I would give them straight away.

I was thinking of giving them a few bucks to keep them sweet with the promise of more at the end of the cruise...

I agree with Happy ks. However, I have tipped mid sailing if the steward followed up on a request. For example on one sailing I asked my steward if he would be sure to have 4 clean wine glasses in my room each day. He replied that I could get as many as I want at the bar. Ok not a problem. The next time I sailed I asked my room steward the same thing and after the third day that wine glasses were brought to my room I thanked him and gave him $10. I did give him $10 less at the end but at least he knew that I appreciated his service mid way through the cruise.

We're planning on leaving the autotip on of course but I was wondering, when we board the ship and meet our cabin steward, do they have to submit monies that I would give them straight away.

I was thinking of giving them a few bucks to keep them sweet with the promise of more at the end of the cruise...

Rather than starting yet another tipping thread, might I suggest that you'll get a more expeditious response in checking the two or three existing threads on this subject. Using the CC browse feature will allow you to access these very quickly.

Happy Cruising, and...

Ciao for now!!!

Yes, they have to turn it in.

I've always felt that if you pre-tip, you'll never know whether that made a difference. Which is why I always tip at the end for overall service.

“Quick tipping question”

There's no such thing as a quick tipping answer!:p

See the following thread with 93 posts (and darn near as many different opinions):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1429360

It is kept in their name by a "custodian" (usually cabin deck supervisor). At the end of the cruise, they get it all if the auto-tip for the cabin is not removed. If you are sure that you do not intend to remove auto-tip, just casually mention when you give this tip that it is extra tip that you will be giving from time to time and you do not remove the auto-tip. This will reassure them. We give extras during the cruise -- for example for return of laundry. The next laundry gets express treatment although we do not mark it express! Also if "Stewart" replaces wine glasses (which is really to be requested each time from Room Service).

do they have to submit monies that I would give them straight away.

We also leave our auto tips on. One of my biggest gripes are those who remove them.

We also tip the steward and our waiter. We do this on the last day.

Only my opinion, but I have always felt that tipping before the service is insulting, as if buying the service.

Archived