First Sunshine class ship to replace Explorer in Cape Liberty?

Just got back today from the latest nine-day cruise on the Explorer and there was something interesting said in the Crown & Anchor Q&A.

This isn't verbatim, but gives the general jist of the conversation:

The question was asked whether the Liberty of the Seas (or other same-class ship) would be coming to replace Explorer in Bayonne.

The Royal spokesperson replied that they had heard the rumours of a new ship like anyone else.

A second question was asked about when the Explorer would leave Bayonne.

The Royal spokesperson said point blank that the Explorer was leaving Bayonne in April 2013.

At that point, and without prompting, the Royal spokesperson started talking about their new Sunshine class of ships and how that they were being specifically designed with coldwater ports in mind and that the class would be able to fit under the Verrazano bridge unlike the Oasis class.

The spokesperson ended the discussion with a smile and said take that information as you will.

All the other people at our dining table were at the same Q&A and we all were unanimous in that Royal was giving a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" response to what their plans were post-Explorer in Cape Liberty.

And I was on two weeks prior and was told that Explorer would be in Bayonne through 2013.

Ya' just never know. ;)

We will have to wait two more weeks to hear the latest rumor RCCL has to offer about Bayonne.

(NOTE to OP: This post is not aimed at you, it is directed to RCCL) :)

Tim

On a thread I started about Project Sunshine, someone posted something to the effect that the Sunshine ship(s) would be for Europe. I think even if they are, they will debut here in the States for a while ala Independence or Solstice (which goes back and forth between markets along with her sisters).

On a possible Bayonne connection, the Celebrity Silhouette (a Solstice class ship) is having it's USA debut by wintering 2011-2012 in Bayonne and doing 12 nt cruises to the Caribbean (I'm on one of them!). So maybe the Sunshine will do something similar for it's debut before (possibly) returning to the European market. Celebrity Silhouette will return to the Med for spring/summer/fall of 2012 then head to Florida for winter 2012-2013. She is not returning to Bayonne (so it's your big chance, folks in the NE!). :(

Interestingly, the Solstice class and Sunshine class are all built at Meyer-Werft...

... and conjecture on my other thread is turning to Sunshine being a sort of Super Solstice (although, I'm still betting on a Oasis-ized Freedom). The plot thickens...

:D

Cheers,

Paul

At that point, and without prompting, the Royal spokesperson started talking about their new Sunshine class of ships and how that they were being specifically designed with coldwater ports in mind and that the class would be able to fit under the Verrazano bridge unlike the Oasis class.

Didn't the Oasis stop in New York on its delivery trip across the Atlantic?

Until not very long ago plenty of people had European cruises booked on Navigator until RCI suddenly decided to bring the ship home. So, somehow, I tend to doubt that anyone is exactly sure what is going to happen with a ship that isn't even built yet.

Just got back today from the latest nine-day cruise on the Explorer and there was something interesting said in the Crown & Anchor Q&A.

This isn't verbatim, but gives the general jist of the conversation:

The question was asked whether the Liberty of the Seas (or other same-class ship) would be coming to replace Explorer in Bayonne.

The Royal spokesperson replied that they had heard the rumours of a new ship like anyone else.

A second question was asked about when the Explorer would leave Bayonne.

The Royal spokesperson said point blank that the Explorer was leaving Bayonne in April 2013.

The spokesperson ended the discussion with a smile and said take that information as you will.

All the other people at our dining table were at the same Q&A and we all were unanimous in that Royal was giving a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" response to what their plans were post-Explorer in Cape Liberty.

Well the first Sunshine class ship will not be delivered until the spring of 2014. I have learned to take what the crew states with a grain of salt. Most of the time they're wrong. I'm nost saying that one of the two new ships are not coming to Bayonne but the timing is off according to your post.

Well the first Sunshine class ship will not be delivered until the spring of 2014. I have learned to take what the crew states with a grain of salt. Most of the time they're wrong. I'm nost saying that one of the two new ships are not coming to Bayonne but the timing is off according to your post.

It seems to me that staff onboard the ships are among the least reliable sources of accurate information. I am sure that working onboard a cruise ship, one hears many different rumors, many of them being totally inaccurate. Like in any work environment, rumors are the lifeblood of their daily existence. Unfortunately they too frequently serve up these rumors to unsuspecting (should I say gullible?) passengers who take those predictions as gospel. Few,if any of the ship's crew, staff, or officers have access to the thinking of the cruise line executives, whose job it is to decide such matters. Until an official announcement is made, nothing is guaranteed.:)

I think oasis was in ny for a travel agent preview and some celebrities were on board as well

You may be thinking about Freedom because Oasis came directly across to Ft. Lauderdale and, in fact, only when it arrived there was all of the greenery etc. installed on the ship. No visit to New York or any other US port when she debuted.:)

Archived