Visa requirement questions for Chinese passport holders

We plan to take our relatives to a cruise in Caribbeans sometimes later this year. They are Chinese citizens with valid U.S. tourist visa (for multiple entries, I believe).

I have read discussion in this forum about document requirements for cruise but could not be sure if my relatives will need visas from the countries where the cruise ship has ports of call - which may include Cozumel (Mexico) and/or other Caribbean ports.

Are there any country/countries in the Caribbeans that do not require a visa for cruise passengers?

I would appreciate if anyone can provide info or share their experiences on this.

Thanks.

Are there any country/countries in the Caribbeans that do not require a visa for cruise passengers?

Thanks.

It all depends on what country's passport you are travelling under. Every country will make its own rules and no one here can truly advise you. U.S. passport holders don't need visas, but other nationals might. I can't give you specific advice.

The best thing to do is go online to the countries involved OR call the embassies here and make sure that if visas are required or not. There is a thread on the NCL boards right now that a foreign national did not have a visa for Canada and they were not allowed to board in Seattle. Do a search for visa requirments for Chinese nationals for the countries you will be visiting.

It is up to you to do the homework, I realize you're being proactive here, but for piece of mind ask the proper authorities as they will give you the correct information.

I searched on the websites of some embassies of the countries on the Caribbeans and could not find any specific info for a visit that may take only a few hours such as those for cruise port excursions. Cruise lines do not seem to provide such information either.

May be making phone calls are the way to obtain "official" information.....

Anyway, any info that can be shared by the members of this community will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Since you say Carribbean I have no idea what countries you will be visiting other than Mexico. Here is what I have found out so far:

Mexico

Starting May 1st, 2010, all foreigners, regardless of their nationality, visiting Mexico as tourists, transmigrate or for business matters will not need a visa for Mexico as long as they hold a valid US visa and arrive in Mexico from the United States.

Belize

1. Do I Need a Visa?

All visitors must travel to Belize on a valid passport (non-expired). The passport must be valid for no less than six months after the intended period of stay in Belize.

Nationals of the following countries do NOT require a visa to enter Belize as a tourist for a period of 30 days.

- Citizens of the European Union Member States (EU) and their dependent territories.

- Citizens of the Caribbean Community Member States (CARICOM) with the exception of Haiti.

- Citizens of the United States of America and dependent territories.

- Citizens of Costa Rica, Chile, Guatemala, Iceland, Mexico, Norway, South Africa, Tunisia & Uruguay

- Citizens of the Commonwealth Realms & Monarchies, and their dependent territories.

- Citizens of Switzerland

- Citizens of the Commonwealth Republics with the exception of the following:

Bangladesh Nauru

Cameroon Pakistan

Chad Sri Lanka

India Mozambique

- West African Countries

Nationals of all other countries REQUIRE a visa to enter Belize.

This Wiki Link might be helpful but still make sure you are looking at visa requirements from each country as you can't believe everything you read on the internet....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Chinese_citizens

If they need a visa to enter it doesn't matter if the visit is for a period of days or hours.

I know US citizens can contact a visa service for information regarding visas. Maybe there is such a company for Chinese citizens?

Since you say Carribbean I have no idea what countries you will be visiting other than Mexico. Here is what I have found out so far:

Mexico

Starting May 1st, 2010, all foreigners, regardless of their nationality, visiting Mexico as tourists, transmigrate or for business matters will not need a visa for Mexico as long as they hold a valid US visa and arrive in Mexico from the United States.

Belize

1. Do I Need a Visa?

Thanks very much for the information, which will help us to plan on our cruise trip. It looks like the 4-night western caribean cruise that stops only at Cozumel, Mexico - in addition to Key West in Florida, can be a safe choice for my relatives if they only have U.S. visa on their passports. We did this route several years ago for our first cruise, it was fun!

Thanks again.

As the poster said previously, you need to find the facts yourself from official sources.

I'd suggest the Chinese equivalent of the US Dept. of State, to establish the official rules for Chinese citizens visiting each country. Also, do make sure that the US visa allows for multiple entries.

Good luck. :)

http://www.learn4good.com/visa.htm

click on the country you are visiting to see if they require a visa. Also it will give you the embassy phone/contact info. Contact that embassy to verify if a citizen of China requires a visa for their country.

Very useful link, thank you. I have sent emails to the embassies to obtain official info.

OP

Be very careful. The only valid information comes from the embassies. You are dealing with an entirely different set of rules that few if any on CC are qualified to discuss. One thing to be aware of is that if you get to boarding without the correct visas, you are not getting on the ship.

Carnival will not be able to help you, it is your responsibility. Your best bet might be to book with a TA who is extremely knowledgeable in foreign travel and travelers.

Archived