Questions about booking an excursion on your own?

ninneman

I know this has probably been asked but here I go again.:D

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I would like to book a dolphin encounter in Cozumel on our own but have some concerns. What happens if the ship missed the port or there are other problems?

Also, should I book all of our excursions on our own or do some through Carnival? Belize - zip lining, Mayan ruins, etc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!!:)

We booked a sea lion encounter in Nassau on our own so know your concerns. If the ship is late, I think you are just out of luck as far as the money you spent, but I would check with the dolphin people and ask them specifically what happens in that situation.

I would never book any ruins on your own, as most are farther away from the port. Too much risk for me.

If its a private excursion with good feedback, go for it. Cozumel is a island, so any excursion off Cozumel will involve a ferry ride more than likely, so add that into the risk factor.

some dolphin encounters in cozumel you cant book privately. I forget which one.

Do not ever pay for any excursion up front, as it can be a hassel to get money back .. if at all.

Ships miss ports all the time, especially if its hurricane season, so just plan on plan B.

I would never book any ruins on your own, as most are farther away from the port. Too much risk for me.

If its a private excursion with good feedback, go for it. Cozumel is a island, so any excursion off Cozumel will involve a ferry ride more than likely, so add that into the risk factor.

some dolphin encounters in cozumel you cant book privately. I forget which one.

Do not ever pay for any excursion up front, as it can be a hassel to get money back .. if at all.

Ships miss ports all the time, especially if its hurricane season, so just plan on plan B.

Never thought about paying up front. So, I can pay the balance when we get there?

We booked a sea lion encounter in Nassau on our own so know your concerns. If the ship is late, I think you are just out of luck as far as the money you spent, but I would check with the dolphin people and ask them specifically what happens in that situation.

Can we just show up and go on an excursion or do we have to reserve a spot?

Can we just show up and go on an excursion or do we have to reserve a spot?

Some places, but Id check with the excursion before you go, as some fill up or maybe dont run that day if you have a particular one in mind.

One more questions. Are there some excursions (Dream-Western Caribbean) that we go on when we get to the port or do we need to make reservations/book early? I did read the dolphin ones sell out due to a limit on number of people in the water.

We do almost all of our excursions privately, check ports of call pages for more info and reviews of tour guides.

Would never pay in advance we alway pay at the end of the excursion.

Only time we have paid is a small deposit for Nachi Cocum with un derstanding that if ship misses the port we get our deposit back.

Make sure the excursion is due to come back minimum of 90 minutes before sailing just in case.

I book almost exclusively independent of Carnival. I read reviews (go to the ports boards and I use trip advisor). I look for well known vendors that a lot of people have used. I do pay minimum deposits, but never full in advance (most vendors want the balance in cash or credit upon arrival). I avoid companies that will charge a surcharge if you do not port. Good vendors will state that you get a full refund of your deposit if the ship does not port there. I have always had good luck.

In Roatan (if you go there) I recommend the South Shore Canopy zipline. It is professional and GREAT! You book it thru Island Marketing, a very reputable company.

I like Shark/Ray Alley in Belize thru Coral Breeze.

I make reservations ahead of time, but most ports you can get off the ship and vendors are waiting for you. I don't do this, because I never know who they are, but that's just me.

Just do a little work, and you will find great excursions.

I book almost exclusively independent of Carnival. I read reviews (go to the ports boards and I use trip advisor). I look for well known vendors that a lot of people have used. I do pay minimum deposits, but never full in advance (most vendors want the balance in cash or credit upon arrival). I avoid companies that will charge a surcharge if you do not port. Good vendors will state that you get a full refund of your deposit if the ship does not port there. I have always had good luck.

In Roatan (if you go there) I recommend the South Shore Canopy zipline. It is professional and GREAT! You book it thru Island Marketing, a very reputable company.

I like Shark/Ray Alley in Belize thru Coral Breeze.

I make reservations ahead of time, but most ports you can get off the ship and vendors are waiting for you. I don't do this, because I never know who they are, but that's just me.

Just do a little work, and you will find great excursions.

Thank you so very much. I will look into these companies :)

We have never had to pay for any excursion booked with an Independent Tour Operator (ITO) in full up front - the only ITO that we know of who requires a deposit is Island Marketing, and this is only to reserve your spot. You pay the balance due right before you leave the meeting spot.

We have never EVER been left behind - we always return to the ship at least two hours before it sails.

Best of luck with whatever decision you make!

We have never had to pay for any excursion booked with an Independent Tour Operator (ITO) in full up front - the only ITO that we know of who requires a deposit is Island Marketing, and this is only to reserve your spot. You pay the balance due right before you leave the meeting spot.

We have never EVER been left behind - we always return to the ship at least two hours before it sails.

Best of luck with whatever decision you make!

Have you done a dolphin encounter? Or know of anyone who has? That's the #1 request on my daughters list.

Thank you

Sorry everyone two more questions.

Which company and port has the best dolphin/swim encounter on the Western cruise? #1 request on my 18 year old daughter's list of things to do on this cruise.

Also, which port has the best zip-line (company/outfitter ???) for an 18 and 15 year old? They're very athletic and not scared of heights.

Thanks a mil everyone for answering my questions. :p

My fiance and I have never gone on an excursion booked through the ship. We always book ours independently and they are much cheaper and definitely more intimate. For example, in Grand Cayman last year we did an independent tour for Sting Ray City. Good thing we did not book with the ship because I would have never been able to even see a sting ray. Our boat had about 10 people on it and we got personal time with the sting rays. I got to take a picture, to feed it, lift it up, etc. The other boat had upwards of 20-30 people and it looked like a huge mob standing in the ocean. I can't imagine how they even got to rub a sting ray let alone have all the experiences I did.

When you book most independent tours they ask what ship you ar ein on and what the itinerary is. They always try to get you back in time but, $h*% happens, and occsionally you get screwed. No, the boat will not wait for you, no it is not their fault, yes you have to get your own transportation to the next port. It's a chance you take, but as long as you don't leave it up to the tour guide to be responsible for you getting back in time, you should be good. In other words, make sure you stay on top of them. If people get upset with you, let them be leeft behind.

My fiance and I have never gone on an excursion booked through the ship. We always book ours independently and they are much cheaper and definitely more intimate. For example, in Grand Cayman last year we did an independent tour for Sting Ray City. Good thing we did not book with the ship because I would have never been able to even see a sting ray. Our boat had about 10 people on it and we got personal time with the sting rays. I got to take a picture, to feed it, lift it up, etc. The other boat had upwards of 20-30 people and it looked like a huge mob standing in the ocean. I can't imagine how they even got to rub a sting ray let alone have all the experiences I did.

When you book most independent tours they ask what ship you ar ein on and what the itinerary is. They always try to get you back in time but, $h*% happens, and occsionally you get screwed. No, the boat will not wait for you, no it is not their fault, yes you have to get your own transportation to the next port. It's a chance you take, but as long as you don't leave it up to the tour guide to be responsible for you getting back in time, you should be good. In other words, make sure you stay on top of them. If people get upset with you, let them be leeft behind.

Thanks, good advice!:)

We never book thru the ship. It is way to expensive and crowded. We did the dolphin swim in Cozumel a couple of years ago. I booked it straight the Chaakanaub. Got a much better swim encounter at a better price. I believe in my paperwork there was a refund policy if the ship did not dock.

I have never had a problem. Most of the tour companies are the same ones that tour for the ship. They know that there can be issues and they will usually work with you on it. They do not want the bad press. There livelyhood depends on the tourists.

Just got back from Dream western itinerary yesterday. We only booked one excursion through Carnival---snorkeling at Goff's Caye in Belize. Although the beach they take you to is about the size of a football field, it's 12 miles out at sea and incredibly beautiful. The best part was the excursion picked us up right at the boat (about 12:45 PM) and took us directly to Goff's Caye. Never had to tender into port. Had plenty of beach time after 45 minutes of snorkeling with a guide. We had been to Cozumel before, so we stayed on the ship--which was like an excursion unto itself--we had the entire serenity area to ourselves all afternoon. We used Victor Bodden tours in Roatan--a little pricey, but totally private--just the two of us and our driver for the day. The greatest excursion ever was our visit to Maya Chan beach in Costa Maya. Must book it in advance--sometimes they fill up 6 months in advance. They only allow a max of 50 people per day, and basically you are the guests of an American couple for the day who have created an amazing, relaxing getaway--all food and drinks included. They also arrange all transportation to and from the port. First class operation. As far as swimming with dolphins in Costa Maya--looked like dolphin torture to me. They are held in little pools right by the cruise ship. The owner of Maya Chan told us the dolphins are brought in from the Atlantic Ocean and held in those tiny pools into which the cruise passengers go when they buy the "excursion."

Archived