CPAP Machine Usage on Flight

madcitymaven

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with using a CPAP machine on an extremely long flight (over 10 hours) to be able to say that it's possible. We'll be flying an American Airlines 767 (in coach) to Santago, Chile in 2012 and it would be nice to be able to catch some "safe" zzzz's during the flight. Normally, I would just resign myself to the need to stay awake, but if I could possibly use my CPAP, I'd arrive much more refreshed.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!:confused:

A friend of mine has a battery operated CPAP machine he uses on overseas flights. He's had to convince a few flight crews of its safety (he carries an Rx and letter from his doctor and the battery's tech specs/service manual) but has never had a serious problem.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with using a CPAP machine on an extremely long flight (over 10 hours) to be able to say that it's possible. We'll be flying an American Airlines 767 (in coach) to Santago, Chile in 2012 and it would be nice to be able to catch some "safe" zzzz's during the flight. Normally, I would just resign myself to the need to stay awake, but if I could possibly use my CPAP, I'd arrive much more refreshed.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!:confused:

I can tell you that AA would not let me use my CPAP on our flights from LAX to Rome. I bought a battery pack thinking I could use it that way, but no. Not allowed to plug it in on the plane. Oh well.

Interesting posted thread (above) which basically confirms my experience last October.

From AA's webpage:

CPAP machine

• Medical clearance is not required for the carriage or use of CPAP machines (used in the treatment of sleep apnoea) as fitness to travel will not be in doubt.
  • CPAP machines can be plugged into a laptop power-point, where available, with a suitable adaptor.
  • Maximum power output from the laptop points is 75 Watts and, if your equipment draws more than this, the outlet will be automatically deactivated.
  • We cannot guarantee that any of the laptop points will be serviceable. If you intend to use one in flight, we recommend that you use a dry-cell battery-operated device.

From AA's webpage:

CPAP machine

• Medical clearance is not required for the carriage or use of CPAP machines (used in the treatment of sleep apnoea) as fitness to travel will not be in doubt.
  • CPAP machines can be plugged into a laptop power-point, where available, with a suitable adaptor.
  • Maximum power output from the laptop points is 75 Watts and, if your equipment draws more than this, the outlet will be automatically deactivated.
  • We cannot guarantee that any of the laptop points will be serviceable. If you intend to use one in flight, we recommend that you use a dry-cell battery-operated device.

This is the reason I went out and bought the adapter - so I could use it on the plane. However, the wording is deceiving. Apparently only certain machines use 75 watts or less - like special travel ones. I contacted the special needs department to make sure before I left and was told in no uncertain terms that I would NOT be allowed to use my CPAP on board. So the best advice is to call them in advance and tell them what kind you have and see if it will work.

Archived