Summit Review Week of 6/12-6/19

BOBfromNJ

I guess with all types of people answering questions on CC you get many opinions. I have found just getting off the Summit that some are true and many are NOT true.

1. Getting on the ship was a piece of cake. Having gone out of Bayonne more than a few times, it seems it is better to get there a little bit later. We arrived at 11:00 and there was almost nobody there. Where checked in and on the ship in 20 minutes.

2. Did not find any ware and tear on the ship as others have reported.

3. YES, you do need a jacket on formal nights in the MDR. Only saw two gentlemen who entered the MDR without jackets and they were promptly stopped. They were supplied jackets. These were the only two we saw on both formal nights without a jacket.

4. As far as tuxedos’ go… could only count about a dozen on both formal nights. Most had jackets and ties or suites.

5. Food in the MDR was very good but not really great. Portion sizes have definitely gotten smaller.

6. Dinner at the Normandy was fabulous. Great service, great food and to die for desserts.

7. Entertainment was really great. Very talented performers.

8. There were a lot of events for Select and Elite members as well as Captain Club events. Of course one of the Captains Club events which was by invitation clearly stated on the invite that it was “Smart Casual and Above” no shorts, T-shirts, flip flops. Well, you guessed it. Two guys showed up in shorts. I really don’t get it! They stood out like a saw thumb.

9. Getting off the ship was a bit of an issue being that there seemed to be a shortage of Customs Agents.

10. Only regret…Wasting all our trips on RCL instead of Celebrity. Found X to be so much better in all areas. Even the staff were much friendlier. Even the Captain was always around doing some lectures and was extremely knowledgably and friendly.

11. Also found very few children on board. Good timing on our part. Very quiet.

12. Oh, and Bermuda was great. Good weather

I guess with all types of people answering questions on CC you get many opinions. I have found just getting off the Summit that some are true and many are NOT true.

1. Getting on the ship was a piece of cake. Having gone out of Bayonne more than a few times, it seems it is better to get there a little bit later. We arrived at 11:00 and there was almost nobody there. Where checked in and on the ship in 20 minutes.

2. Did not find any ware and tear on the ship as others have reported.

3. YES, you do need a jacket on formal nights in the MDR. Only saw two gentlemen who entered the MDR without jackets and they were promptly stopped. They were supplied jackets. These were the only two we saw on both formal nights without a jacket.

4. As far as tuxedos’ go… could only count about a dozen on both formal nights. Most had jackets and ties or suites.

5. Food in the MDR was very good but not really great. Portion sizes have definitely gotten smaller.

6. Dinner at the Normandy was fabulous. Great service, great food and to die for desserts.

7. Entertainment was really great. Very talented performers.

8. There were a lot of events for Select and Elite members as well as Captain Club events. Of course one of the Captains Club events which was by invitation clearly stated on the invite that it was “Smart Casual and Above” no shorts, T-shirts, flip flops. Well, you guessed it. Two guys showed up in shorts. I really don’t get it! They stood out like a saw thumb.

9. Getting off the ship was a bit of an issue being that there seemed to be a shortage of Customs Agents.

10. Only regret…Wasting all our trips on RCL instead of Celebrity. Found X to be so much better in all areas. Even the staff were much friendlier. Even the Captain was always around doing some lectures and was extremely knowledgably and friendly.

11. Also found very few children on board. Good timing on our part. Very quiet.

12. Oh, and Bermuda was great. Good weather

Thanks for the review:) and glad you had such a good time:D

The guy who stood out like a saw thumb? Did someone use an

electric one?;):)....I am guessing you meant a sore thumb;).

... my hubby (the other "Bob from NJ") was one of those dozen or so in the tuxedos on the first formal night! :D Second formal night he opted for jacket and tie!

.... we zipped through customs, got our town car, and got home in time to make it to 10:30 am Mass!!!

I will try to write a review by the end of the week... right now I am knee deep in laundry!!!!

.... we zipped through customs, got our town car

This is why CC is some times not real...to many differant opinions of the same event.

I guess we weren't as lucky as you going through customs. The lines were extremely long and backed up. Oh, and we didn't have a "town car" just a neighbor in a "regular" car. Maybe that's what was wrong!

Thanks for the great review. I always take the negative reports with a grain of salt and it's refreshing to see positive reviews. We love the Summit and can't wait to sail on her in December.

As far as the different reports about embarkation and customs, that happens depending on the time you are attempting to get off the ship. On our cruise in December, we had friends that walked right off with their own luggage very early with no wait at all, while we waited since we were staying an extra day and not in a hurry. By the time we got in line for customs, the lines were very, very long and it took a long time to get through them. Apparently some foreign nationals were having to get finger printed or something like that so it held everyone up.

This is why CC is some times not real...to many differant opinions of the same event.

I guess we weren't as lucky as you going through customs. The lines were extremely long and backed up. Oh, and we didn't have a "town car" just a neighbor in a "regular" car. Maybe that's what was wrong!

The car service had nothing to do with it - we actually had to wait for him to enter the loading area.

Our disembarkment time was 8:40 am , that might have been part of the reason.

The MAIN reason I think is that there was a backup at the US resident Customs area. Our luggage porter was booking it around the line to the Non-Resident area. We were having trouble keeping up with him. LOL I said to the customs officer watching the area "umm...we are US residents...." and she smiled and said go ahead, and pointed us to an empty line. Apparently they were trying to clear the backup by moving residents to the non-residents line.

We got "lucky". So - yes this is a "real" CC story, not an "opinion". ;) ::wink::

Singing mom waiting for your review. Are you the Same singingmom from disboards?If so.... You have always been right on. Cant wait for the review:)

Yes, it's me! :p *and thanks for the compliment!

I have to get my thoughts in order and get that review started! I'm still putting away clothes and suitcases! Note to self: DO NOT BRING ENOUGH CLOTHES FOR TWO CRUISES when you are only taking ONE! LOL

Haha - I think I brought enough clothes for three cruises. We just came back this Sunday and from Cabin to Car I don't think was more than 15 minutes. We had an 8:15 time and by 8 am they were calling our number to go down. Luggage was ready and we got one of the men with the carts to take our too too much luggage. Just like at the airports - when you get the guys with the carts they take you to the counter with no line and wiz you through in a sec. It was worth the tip. Could not have been easier.

Haha - I think I brought enough clothes for three cruises. We just came back this Sunday and from Cabin to Car I don't think was more than 15 minutes. We had an 8:15 time and by 8 am they were calling our number to go down. Luggage was ready and we got one of the men with the carts to take our too too much luggage. Just like at the airports - when you get the guys with the carts they take you to the counter with no line and wiz you through in a sec. It was worth the tip. Could not have been easier.

yep that was our experience, too! I had trouble keeping up with him and the luggage, he moved so fast! :p

Archived