Just got of Liberty, June 11th sailing, our review (very long+pics)

Thanks for the wonderful review.

Did you have to pay the 8%VAT during the entire cruise?

Yes, on everything that required a bill singsoff , like alcoholic drinks there are always VAT and gratuees added…And than even still you can add a tip to your bill :D.

In my opinion the end price of the drinks was more than enough every time, we only tipped extra two time the entire cruise, both times for a waiter that went out of their way.

Thanks for the wonderful review.

Did you have to pay the 8%VAT during the entire cruise?

Yes, on everything that required a bill singsoff , like alcoholic drinks there are always VAT and gratuees added…And than even still you can add a tip to your bill :D.

In my opinion the end price of the drinks was more than enough every time, we only tipped extra two time the entire cruise, both times for a waiter that went out of their way.

I would like to add a few things to this review, the question on the VAT opened a memory connection on the tipping :D

Since I had a few discussions here prior to our cruise, mostly users stating that Europeans are bad tippers…

We prepaid our tips, so we already did what we had to do. But I have to add that everybody on the ship that did a good job, we tipped extra, mostly talking about 1 Dollar.

Our room attendant who really went all the way received 3 days extra tips worth, and we didn’t wait till the end of the cruise to give it to him…Most where extremely happy.

At the end of the cruise, when the envelopes are used, we added a few Dollars as extra to the preprinted tips. We saw a lot of European guests do the same thing, and I mean really a lot…So I don’t think it’s that bad for the staff and crew as some state here.

Another subject…MANNERS, learned to children!

If there is one thing that I CANNOT stand, than it is that food being thrown away!!! At so many occasions we saw (small) children ordering food and than just playing with it and letting it go the waste!? Sometimes, and this is even worse, the parents where even present!

The best example I can give, was on the last sail day, we were at Sorrento’s enjoying some pizza when three kids came along, they were American, I think the ages where between 9 and 12, no parents in sight…They were walking around with TWO Apple I-pads, we all know what those cost!?

All three of them ordered 2 slices of pizza and some extra side things, plus drinks. Once on the table next to us, the side dishes where used as food to throw to each other, they drank a few sips of their drinks, two of them ate one bite of the pizza, then they just left…………!?

Everybody that was there just looked at each other in unbelief, there was a full table of food just laying there, and the floor was dirty. The staff even asked if we thought they would come back.

A second example, on another day, in Olive or Twist there was an Indian family with small children (ages 5-6), I think an aux-pair was present, the oldest boy in the family had a disagreement with the parents…The aux-pair remarked something to the boy he just started hitting her with his hands and feet!? Nobody said something until he started shouting and the entire bar was looking at them, then the dad took actions.

If these where my kids………….We saw situations like these on numerous occasions over all nationalities onboard, I am not that old, that overall manners are not thought anymore, or am I wrong!?

Another subject…MANNERS, learned to children!

If there is one thing that I CANNOT stand, than it is that food being thrown away!!! At so many occasions we saw (small) children ordering food and than just playing with it and letting it go the waste!? Sometimes, and this is even worse, the parents where even present!

The best example I can give, was on the last sail day, we were at Sorrento’s enjoying some pizza when three kids came along, they were American, I think the ages where between 9 and 12, no parents in sight…They were walking around with TWO Apple I-pads, we all know what those cost!?

All three of them ordered 2 slices of pizza and some extra side things, plus drinks. Once on the table next to us, the side dishes where used as food to throw to each other, they drank a few sips of their drinks, two of them ate one bite of the pizza, then they just left…………!?

Everybody that was there just looked at each other in unbelief, there was a full table of food just laying there, and the floor was dirty. The staff even asked if we thought they would come back.

A second example, on another day, in Olive or Twist there was an Indian family with small children (ages 5-6), I think an aux-pair was present, the oldest boy in the family had a disagreement with the parents…The aux-pair remarked something to the boy he just started hitting her with his hands and feet!? Nobody said something until he started shouting and the entire bar was looking at them, then the dad took actions.

If these where my kids………….We saw situations like these on numerous occasions over all nationalities onboard, I am not that old, that overall manners are not thought anymore, or am I wrong!?

You are not wrong, this is one thing I detest and see every single day regarding manners and the behaviour of children. It is appalling and the parental control is non-existant because they are on holiday and think they don't have to do anything!

Sorry, my opinion and this is only my opinion, is that you had the children, it is your responsibility to care for them and control them, not someone else, even if you are paying someone to look after them. They should not be subject to abuse from a small child. And others should not be subjected to their appalling bad manners.

As for food waste, I cannot abide it, but to be fair, the children will have learnt from their parents. On a cruise the food is 'free' so they see no harm in wasting it. I see it all the time in the Windjammer and it offends me, as it is the adult population who are the main culprits and so children learn from them.

I cannot understand why adults have to load a plate with so much food only to have it thrown away. Is it greed? Do they not realise that if there was less waste for the cruise line to deal with, then prices may be lower or quality improved?

This is down to the 'fast food' culture IMHO.

You are not wrong, this is one thing I detest and see every single day regarding manners and the behaviour of children. It is appalling and the parental control is non-existant because they are on holiday and think they don't have to do anything!

Sorry, my opinion and this is only my opinion, is that you had the children, it is your responsibility to care for them and control them, not someone else, even if you are paying someone to look after them. They should not be subject to abuse from a small child. And others should not be subjected to their appalling bad manners.

As for food waste, I cannot abide it, but to be fair, the children will have learnt from their parents. On a cruise the food is 'free' so they see no harm in wasting it. I see it all the time in the Windjammer and it offends me, as it is the adult population who are the main culprits and so children learn from them.

I cannot understand why adults have to load a plate with so much food only to have it thrown away. Is it greed? Do they not realise that if there was less waste for the cruise line to deal with, then prices may be lower or quality improved?

This is down to the 'fast food' culture IMHO.

I fully agree with you that is a fault of the parents in the raising the children…Like I said, I am turning 31 next week, so in lifespan measurement it’s not that long ago that I was still travelled with my parents…

If I would have dared to do something like, I would have heard it for ages…So indeed that’s where I guess is the difference is with these days.

I was one of the lucky ones back than, that got a Nintendo GameBoy for when we were traveling, we did it a lot due to the occupation of my parents, if I would have dared pulled the Gameboy at dinner or lunch they would have thrown it overboard :D let alone that I would get it dirty with food…

Thanks for confirming my thoughts Pete!

I fully agree with you that is a fault of the parents in the raising the children…Like I said, I am turning 31 next week, so in lifespan measurement it’s not that long ago that I was still travelled with my parents…

If I would have dared to do something like, I would have heard it for ages…So indeed that’s where I guess is the difference is with these days.

I was one of the lucky ones back than, that got a Nintendo GameBoy for when we were traveling, we did it a lot due to the occupation of my parents, if I would have dared pulled the Gameboy at dinner or lunch they would have thrown it overboard :D let alone that I would get it dirty with food…

Thanks for confirming my thoughts Pete!

No problem. I've posted a thread regarding this to see people's thoughts. I'd better get the flame proof suit on now!

• 1 month later...
I could not see a mention of the cabin grade for the balcony stateroom the one in your images.............

That's a D cabin.

D2 to be exact :)

I will be goin on LOS in December and had some questions about the romance package thing? How do you get it? How much does it cost? And what all comes with it? Thanks for any info!

The cost of the romance package was 150 Euros. This includes a bottle of chilled Veuve Clicquot champagne, it is a very brut champagne so it is an acquired taste in my opinion...The vanilla (6 pieces) cupcakes are delivered to your room on embarkation day, a fresh bouquet of flowers in your stateroom. Two RCI robes, a tray of elegant canapés delivered before dinner and decadent petit fours after dinner on both formal evenings, a breakfast in bed one morning during the cruise with a bigger menu than the regular room service menu and a silver-framed, 8" x 10" keepsake portrait (which looks pretty good with our formal picture in there ;) )

Trust me it is worth it ;) My girl is still running around with the robes every night :D

Archived