Quebec City Questions

I would like to take the funnicular to Haute-Ville and tour around before visiting La Citadelle. Can I reach the Promenade des Gouverneurs from the Citadel?

It has been recommended to walk the Promendade down towards terrasse Dufferin. If I can't reach it from the Citadel, where can I join the path to walk it down verses up?:confused:

I believe what you are referring to as the Promenade and Terrasse Dufferin are the same thing. When you get off the funicular, you will be at Haute-Ville (or Upper Town), and on the promenade/Terasse Dufferin. The huge Fairmont hotel (Le Chateau Frontenac) will be right in front of you. If you face the hotel, to your left will be the Citadelle. It is within walking distance of the funicular.

We were in Quebec City in 2009 on a cruise, and we are going back next year. It is a beautiful city! Here is a link to some of the photos I took of Quebec City.

Be sure you time your touring to be at the Citadel for the changing of the guard in the morning. It's a very interesting event. The Royal 22nd Regiment is dressed similarly to the British guards units, with red jackets and bearskin hats, but are commanded in French, which makes it a rather unusual sight. The regimental band plays for the event, which takes place on the parade grounds. Unfortunately, my cruise is in October so the daily event will have ended for the year. :(

I was, however, fortunate to see it a number of times in 2008 when I spent the better part of the week at the International Festival Of Military Music in Quebec when there was a different guest band every day. Seeing the Canadian troops marching to the music of a Chilean naval band one morning and a Polish or German army band the next, was well worth the trip. :D

Archived