RCCL Summer Southern Caribbean Route for 2012 gone

Perfer Royal..Yes...Loyal to Royal...No.

We book where we desire to go and that meets our buget.

Royal is pushing the price point boundry...and with RCCI reducing thier US fleet...we will be spending our vacation $$$ and time with other cruise lines.

Just finished a 7 day on the Carnival Pride in a Vista Suite for 1/2 the price of a RCCI Jr. Suite on comparible intineraries.

In the end both Providers and Patrons make choices...RCCI makes theirs..DW and I make ours.:D

Adam stated that RCI was following the growth. RCI is no different than HAL, Princess and other cruise lines that pull most if not all of their fleet out of the Caribbean during the summer.

The point I was trying to make is that it is not consistent. And the time of year I am looking at is not summer but rather fall. Year after year the ships and itineraries have been there and then all of sudden is gone.

Look, I can completely understand following the growth, but without diversity, the model is bound to fail. You need to look no further than the Big 3. Back when oil prices were low, pickups and SUVs were big sellers. They had huge margins and the Big 3 devoted a majority of their resources to the manufaturing of these vehicles. Then we saw gas prices spike and the allure of these vehicles dropped dramatically. Since the Big 3 were not properly diversified in their model lines, they suffered dramtically and eventually found themselves sitting before Congress asking for a bailout(Well, with the exception of Ford... they never asked nor accepted any gov't money). The cruise industry doesn't have the same issues in changing markets but it still can't react overnight to changing trends. Its itineraries are usually scheduled 2 years in advance. While they always reserve the right to cancel cruises and change itineraries, logistically it would be a nightmare if they had to divert the itineraries of a handful of ships overnight to other parts of the world should something catestrophic were to happen in some part of the world. And I am not talking about like dropping one port for another. I mean literally having to move ships elsewhere. I know my example may be a bit extreme, but it is merely an example of issues of what a lack of diversification can net you. The Big 3 never expected their cash cow to dry up either.

Perfer Royal..Yes...Loyal to Royal...No.

We book where we desire to go and that meets our buget.

Royal is pushing the price point boundry...and with RCCI reducing thier US fleet...we will be spending our vacation $$$ and time with other cruise lines.

Just finished a 7 day on the Carnival Pride in a Vista Suite for 1/2 the price of a RCCI Jr. Suite on comparible intineraries.

In the end both Providers and Patrons make choices...RCCI makes theirs..DW and I make ours.:D

And I think your sentiment will be the same as others. Some that may have only ever sailded Royal and were happy to do so. However, now that Royal has stepped away, these people find themselves looking for other options. Eventually Royal will come back... but how many bridges have they burned? How many people who would have picked Royal over another line will still do so when Royal does return? Some will but I am sure Royal will find it hard to get the cash out of others who used to freely give it to them.

I have written to RCCL and expressed my disappointment with their decision. I would hope all you summer cruisers that enjoy the Southern route would do the same. You might be surprised what might happen if enough people complain.

We have sailed the Destiny with Carnival out of San Juan and it was not bad but after taking the Adventure, there was a difference and RCCL was our preference.

I have to tell you that we have sailed Carnival twice. Both times, we LOVED the ports of call and the prices, but we HATED the ambiance (or lack therof). Try as I might, and I gave it my best effort, I don't ever want to sail Carnival again. The noise, the atmosphere, the smoking, the food, and so many other things were just not my cup of tea. But, we are very conservative. We don't drink much, we don't stay out late, we don't gamble, and we really enjoy spending alot of time (on our loungers-lol) watching the ocean, the stars, the sunsets and sunrises. I'm jealous that others (family and friends) have a great time on Carnival. All that to say that if I'm not given any other options (we are teachers so we can only sail during Spring or Fall Break or during the summer), we might have to join you! We're getting tired of the East/West itinerary and we don't like the Megaships. I guess we'll try Bermuda in the summer and try NCL, Holland, and Disney if RCI and Celebrity pulls out.

I cruised Carnival for many years without trying another cruise line. Decided to give RCI a try and have never been back to Carnival and until they finally decide to build a new design, we won't. Their ships are the major drawback for me. I like trying other lines from time to time but so far each time we have stepped out, it has made us appreciate RCI even more.

Royal does not owe the people of the USA a living!

They are a business that must make decisions to make money. The people who are responsible for making these decisions have there heads on the firing block should they fail. Look at the prices in Nov/Dec 2010 for cruises out of Dubai and Sydney compared to Fort lauderdale and San Juan. They are interested in more $$$ per bum in a bed then pleasing Crown and Anchor with cheap cruises and the free 1700 drinks.

If I can fly 15 hours to be on the Serenade in January 2013 why cannot the people of the USA?

Glen

Australia

As you can see by my signature below, I am not loyal to any one cruise line. If money were no object, based on the lines that I have sailed to date, I would hands down be a mega loyal Disney cruise line customer, but I'm not.

I recently sailed Carnival for the first time and LOVED it!!! The ship was beautiful, the price was outstanding (I snagged one of the secret balconies that is 3 to 4 times larger than others in it's class), the itinerary was great and the customer service from embarkation to debarkation was exceptional.

I also love that I can bring my own soda/water/wine/champagne on board Carnival cruises. I loved the entertainment in the main dining room at dinner.

I am trying RCCL for a 2nd time although I'm not off to a great start since they cancelled my cruise and moved my ship to China with less than 11 months notice. I rebooked the Southern itinerary with them since they offered me "we're sorry for the screw up" on board credit. But if I were wanting to sail this itinerary in the summer I wouldn't hesitate one second to book the Carnival Liberty.

Happy sailing everyone!

Gina

If I can fly 15 hours to be on the Serenade in January 2013 why cannot the people of the USA?

Glen

Australia

Because it takes us 15+ hours and costs $1,400 for ONE round-trip ticket to Venice or Barcelona from Oregon, USA. That $1,400 airfare will buy you 3 cruises in the Caribbean :D. I don't know any couples willing to drop $3,000 on airfare for a 7 night Med cruise.

Gina

Because it takes us 15+ hours and costs $1,400 for ONE round-trip ticket to Venice or Barcelona from Oregon, USA. That $1,400 airfare will buy you 3 cruises in the Caribbean :D. I don't know any couples willing to drop $3,000 on airfare for a 7 night Med cruise.

Gina

You got one here. We will be dropping more than that for a trip to Tahiti when it comes to booking air. So yes there are people out there that will pay that. ;)

Royal does not owe the people of the USA a living!

Nor do I owe Royal one more penny of mine! :rolleyes:

Until they get better ports, RCCL had better get their act together in the Caribbean as Carnival has better ports IMHO.............;)

This is disappointing to read. Had been looking for Southern Carib. cruises, as I have grown weary of the western and eastern cruises.

Would people recommend Princess Cruises to Southern Carib?

I absolutely recommend Princess to Southern Carib having just done it in December. HOWEVER, they have just pulled Caribbean Princess from San Juan starting in 2012!!!!! That leaves only Carnival. RCI will have Serenade or Brilliance in non-summer months in the years ahead.

I absolutely recommend Princess to Southern Carib having just done it in December. HOWEVER, they have just pulled Caribbean Princess from San Juan starting in 2012!!!!! That leaves only Carnival. RCI will have Serenade or Brilliance in non-summer months in the years ahead.

and Adventure

We're getting tired of the East/West itinerary and we don't like the Megaships. .

That is the 2nd message in this thread where the author "doesn't like the mega ships" But their signature indicates they have never been on one. Try it, you might like it. Freedom and Allure where my two best cruises.

I look at it as "Who wants to go to the Caribbean during the Summer?".A lot of the USA population have nice beaches within driving distance.Repeat cruisers are looking for new destinations and after doing Alaska, Europe is next.Right now the Euro is less than it was a few years back when it cost 1.50-1.60 so it makes traveling there more affordable for Americans
:cj

Archived