RCCL Summer Southern Caribbean Route for 2012 gone

We went on the Serenade earlier this month and loved it.

There are numerous discussions on RCCL leaving for Europe in the summers. Some suggest calling them Royal Europe Cruise Lines. When talking with the Chief Engineer on the Serenade, he suggested that the main reason was to avoid competition with Carnival. What I am sure of is that they must of made a decision based on future profit, which includes where they could get the most on board spending. Surely they know now that air prices are keeping Americans from flying to their ships. Will they fill the ships with Europeans, and will they spend the money on board? Time will tell. All I know is that, as a teacher, I can not cruise in the winter and can not afford to fly to Europe. I do not like the size of the Oasis class. I do have a choice where I spend my travel dollars. I may cruise Carnival, or I may fly direct to a wonderful Carribean island (Sandals, for example), or I may stay on the mainland. The one thing that is known that I will not be spending next years vacation with RCCL. That is sad, but must be.

We went on the Serenade earlier this month and loved it.

There are numerous discussions on RCCL leaving for Europe in the summers. Some suggest calling them Royal Europe Cruise Lines. When talking with the Chief Engineer on the Serenade, he suggested that the main reason was to avoid competition with Carnival. What I am sure of is that they must of made a decision based on future profit, which includes where they could get the most on board spending. Surely they know now that air prices are keeping Americans from flying to their ships. Will they fill the ships with Europeans, and will they spend the money on board? Time will tell. All I know is that, as a teacher, I can not cruise in the winter and can not afford to fly to Europe. I do not like the size of the Oasis class. I do have a choice where I spend my travel dollars. I may cruise Carnival, or I may fly direct to a wonderful Carribean island (Sandals, for example), or I may stay on the mainland. The one thing that is known that I will not be spending next years vacation with RCCL. That is sad, but must be.

I don't think that you will see RCI making a major amount of changes in Europe. Americans are not their main target in Europe. After a rough start in Europe, RCI is now doing much better(articles below). Alaska too. Also, I doubt RCI is worried about Carnival. They have no reason to be.

http://www.cruise-community.com/News/News-Headlines/Wm.-Blair-sees-Med-pricing-firming-says-Royal-is-on-track.html

http://www.cruise-community.com/News/News-Headlines/Its-Royal-Caribbeans-best-year-in-Alaska-Milan.html

That is great for them. Of course they are not going to say they having horrible results. With more and more competition in Europe, something will eventually give way in terms of profit.

Even so, my days cruising RCCL could be limited due to these moves. Good thing I got on the Serenade this year. Wonderful ship and crew!

This is disappointing to read. Had been looking for Southern Carib. cruises, as I have grown weary of the western and eastern cruises.

Would people recommend Princess Cruises to Southern Carib?

That is great for them. Of course they are not going to say they having horrible results. With more and more competition in Europe, something will eventually give way in terms of profit.

Even so, my days cruising RCCL could be limited due to these moves. Good thing I got on the Serenade this year. Wonderful ship and crew!

If you read the different cruise publications all are stating the same thing. Europe is the fastest growing segment in the cruise industry. The U.S market is flat. Believe what you want but so many cruise lines would not be moving large numbers to this market if it wasn't paying off. By the way, Carnival must be stretching the truth about Europe and Alaska too.:rolleyes:

http://www.cruise-community.com/News/News-Headlines/Over-capacity-in-Europe-Carnival-doesnt-think-so.html

http://www.cruise-community.com/News/News-Headlines/Alaska-very-very-strong-this-year-Arison-says.html

This is disappointing to read. Had been looking for Southern Carib. cruises, as I have grown weary of the western and eastern cruises.

Would people recommend Princess Cruises to Southern Carib?

RCI will still have two ships in the Southern Caribbean but not during the summer. Last time I checked, Princess did not have a ship for this market during the summer either. Carnival is basically the only game in town.

Yes, I was afraid of this, too, which is why I'm glad we're sailing Serenade this summer, if it's the last summer of Southern Caribbean for Royal. San Juan can't be too happy about this, either. And all the other islands will be feeling it as well. For folks who can only cruise during holidays and summer, (like families with kids still in school and teachers) it stinks. But I guess Royal doesn't care about that insignificant stuff. Only about the $$$.

Why did RCCL do away with the southern route starting next summer. This was our favorite route to take. I guess we will be Carnival fans in the future. Shame on you RCCL.

The Serenade is going to Dubai.

Ive done the southern on Carnival. For me it is so much nicer than that busy port schedule out of the PR on the Serenade and airfare is so much cheaper to FLL

The Serenade is going to Dubai.

Ive done the southern on Carnival. For me it is so much nicer than that busy port schedule out of the PR on the Serenade and airfare is so much cheaper to FLL

Not according to the Captain. He told me they are heading to the Med for 12 night alternating schedules

If you read the different cruise publications all are stating the same thing. Europe is the fastest growing segment in the cruise industry. The U.S market is flat. Believe what you want but so many cruise lines would not be moving large numbers to this market if it wasn't paying off. By the way, Carnival must be stretching the truth about Europe and Alaska too.:rolleyes:

http://www.cruise-community.com/News/News-Headlines/Over-capacity-in-Europe-Carnival-doesnt-think-so.html

http://www.cruise-community.com/News/News-Headlines/Alaska-very-very-strong-this-year-Arison-says.html

That is what I mean. Too much competition will flatten out profits eventually. Their are too many ships, just like their was in the US.

The lack of options to the Caribbean during the summer months on RCCL (or any other line except Carnival) is making me sick. :( Hard to believe that a line with the word "Caribbean" in their name doesn't have a ship going to one of the three Caribbean destinations during the most popular vacation time of the year! Way to make Americans happy, RCCL. I bet Carnival is happy... they pretty much have the Southern Caribbean market to themselves during the summer months after Serenade leaves.

Not according to the Captain. He told me they are heading to the Med for 12 night alternating schedules

I guess that makes sense. Do the summer in the MED before heading to Dubai to replace the Brilliance for winter 2012

There were a handful of threads on this exact topic a few months ago. I was looking for a cruise in Oct 2012 to the Caribbean for my wife's 40th birthday. Royal only has Oasis, Allue, and Freedom all doing very similar alternating itineraries. No cruises departing out of San Juan either. This is quite different from Oct 2011. More so, while RCL only has 3 ships sailing the Caribbean in Oct 2012, Carnival has 8 ships. I had been a Royal Loyal up to this point. Their lack of variety actually led me to book my first Carnival cruise.

RCI will still have two ships in the Southern Caribbean but not during the summer. Last time I checked, Princess did not have a ship for this market during the summer either. Carnival is basically the only game in town.

Carnival, Disney and NCL all have summer Caribbean itineraries (not sure if Southern?). I just realized that I am on the "last" Southern sailing on the Serenade in April 2012 before she redeploys to Europe. Glad I booked it.

Happy sailing!

Gina

There were a handful of threads on this exact topic a few months ago. I was looking for a cruise in Oct 2012 to the Caribbean for my wife's 40th birthday. Royal only has Oasis, Allue, and Freedom all doing very similar alternating itineraries. No cruises departing out of San Juan either. This is quite different from Oct 2011. More so, while RCL only has 3 ships sailing the Caribbean in Oct 2012, Carnival has 8 ships. I had been a Royal Loyal up to this point. Their lack of variety actually led me to book my first Carnival cruise.

I have to tell you that we have sailed Carnival twice. Both times, we LOVED the ports of call and the prices, but we HATED the ambiance (or lack therof). Try as I might, and I gave it my best effort, I don't ever want to sail Carnival again. The noise, the atmosphere, the smoking, the food, and so many other things were just not my cup of tea. But, we are very conservative. We don't drink much, we don't stay out late, we don't gamble, and we really enjoy spending alot of time (on our loungers-lol) watching the ocean, the stars, the sunsets and sunrises. I'm jealous that others (family and friends) have a great time on Carnival. All that to say that if I'm not given any other options (we are teachers so we can only sail during Spring or Fall Break or during the summer), we might have to join you! We're getting tired of the East/West itinerary and we don't like the Megaships. I guess we'll try Bermuda in the summer and try NCL, Holland, and Disney if RCI and Celebrity pulls out.

Carnival, Disney and NCL all have summer Caribbean itineraries (not sure if Southern?). I just realized that I am on the "last" Southern sailing on the Serenade in April 2012 before she redeploys to Europe. Glad I booked it.

Happy sailing!

Gina

Carnival is the only option for cruising the "southern" Caribbean during the summer months.

That is what I mean. Too much competition will flatten out profits eventually. Their are too many ships, just like their was in the US.

Depends on how long the growth spurt in Europe continues. Obviously the cruise lines see it different than you.

http://www.latecruisenews.com/2011/05/09/could-europe-become-the-world%E2%80%99s-largest-cruise-market-other-news-australasia-the-world%E2%80%99s-fastest-growing-market-san-diego-loses-another-ship-to-australia-%E2%80%93-uk-cruise-conv/

I have to tell you that we have sailed Carnival twice. Both times, we LOVED the ports of call and the prices, but we HATED the ambiance (or lack therof). Try as I might, and I gave it my best effort, I don't ever want to sail Carnival again. The noise, the atmosphere, the smoking, the food, and so many other things were just not my cup of tea. But, we are very conservative. We don't drink much, we don't stay out late, we don't gamble, and we really enjoy spending alot of time (on our loungers-lol) watching the ocean, the stars, the sunsets and sunrises. I'm jealous that others (family and friends) have a great time on Carnival. All that to say that if I'm not given any other options (we are teachers so we can only sail during Spring or Fall Break or during the summer), we might have to join you! We're getting tired of the East/West itinerary and we don't like the Megaships. I guess we'll try Bermuda in the summer and try NCL, Holland, and Disney if RCI and Celebrity pulls out.

Well I was concerned a lot about the negative things I had heard about Carnival. I have a friend that swears by them. She absolutely loves them and she is a pretty laid back person. She's not really much of a partier. Most people tell me there are more similarities than differences... the biggest in ship decor. Still, we will make the best out of the trip. Who knows, maybe we'll absolutely love the line.

Well I was concerned a lot about the negative things I had heard about Carnival. I have a friend that swears by them. She absolutely loves them and she is a pretty laid back person. She's not really much of a partier. Most people tell me there are more similarities than differences... the biggest in ship decor. Still, we will make the best out of the trip. Who knows, maybe we'll absolutely love the line.

I have only cruised Carnival once but the 2 big differences were decor (which I could care less about) and the clients. A little bit more of the party atmosphere but as with any cruise, you can always get away.

What I go by, a bad day on a cruise ship is better than a good day anywhere else. Just go in with no expectations and you will do just fine. Have fun!!

I am still of the opinion that Royal's decision to reduce its fleet in the Caribbean is more to avoid internal competition than it is to avoid competition with its competitors. They want to sell out their Oasis and Allure cruises since they are so profitable for them. I am in agreement with the other posters that eventually the European cash cow is going to dry up. Prices for cabins on cruises similar to the 12 night Med cruise we took on the Brilliance in 2003 are fairly comparable 8/9 years later. However, about 3-4 years ago, those same cabins were going for 75-100% more than they are now. The market is saturated there now. It may still be very profitable for the cruiselines, but the margins are quite down from where they were a handful of years ago.

I have only cruised Carnival once but the 2 big differences were decor (which I could care less about) and the clients. A little bit more of the party atmosphere but as with any cruise, you can always get away.

What I go by, a bad day on a cruise ship is better than a good day anywhere else. Just go in with no expectations and you will do just fine. Have fun!!

I guess that I should have expanded on my previous post. While I was concerned at first about booking a Carnival cruise, those concerns were put to rest by the time I actually booked the cruise. I am comfident that we will have an awesome time. In fact, I am looking forward to a party!

I am still of the opinion that Royal's decision to reduce its fleet in the Caribbean is more to avoid internal competition than it is to avoid competition with its competitors. They want to sell out their Oasis and Allure cruises since they are so profitable for them. I am in agreement with the other posters that eventually the European cash cow is going to dry up. Prices for cabins on cruises similar to the 12 night Med cruise we took on the Brilliance in 2003 are fairly comparable 8/9 years later. However, about 3-4 years ago, those same cabins were going for 75-100% more than they are now. The market is saturated there now. It may still be very profitable for the cruiselines, but the margins are quite down from where they were a handful of years ago.

No mistaking that Royal pulled ships out to make room for Oasis and Allure. Those two ships took the place of three Voyager class ships.

As far as Europe, as long as they continue to have strong growth, you will see more and more ships in that region. I think the cruise lines know more about their business than you or I. :) I was on board the Liberty Pre Inaugural a few years back and Adam Goldstein was asked why more ships were being moved to non U.S ports. Adam stated that RCI was following the growth. RCI is no different than HAL, Princess and other cruise lines that pull most if not all of their fleet out of the Caribbean during the summer.

Archived