20% off letter Be careful with it!

Katoo

When we were on the Legend last October and got chased around by a hurricane, we missed three ports and went to Ocho Rios instead. Though I certainly didn't expect it, I was happy to receive a letter for 20% off of a future cruise.

I booked a cruise a few weeks ago, and went to the site to fulfill this 20% and filled out the form. Took about a week and the 20% off was applied.

Here's the thing. I booked early saver. I thought the 20% off would be applied like a payment (like the future cruise certificate). It's not. It's taken directly off the cost of the cruise.

So in the end, there is NO reason to book early saver if you're going to use one of the letters. I doubt seriously that the cost of an 8A balcony is gonna drop below $527, after all.

Still. I'm happy with my room and most definitely my price. But if I'd known I would have booked Past Guest rate and upgraded to a higher deck.

BUT, as we all know, the early saver is generally the best price. and IF the price drops you'll get it. and with past guest, just like early saver, the upgrades don't neccessarily happen. But glad overall that you are happy with what you got.. have a great cruise!!

Sorry, I must still be sleepy. If its taken off the cost of the cruise .. are you saying its not taken off the full price, or they use a different price.

Im confused. I have one of those from last Sept I havent used.

I think OP booked ES thinking there could be a price drop after final payment. But now the price drop would have to be more than her 20% offer for her to benefit from booking ES. Had she realized this, she could have applied the 20% to a booking that was past the ES window.

When we were on the Legend last October and got chased around by a hurricane, we missed three ports and went to Ocho Rios instead. Though I certainly didn't expect it, I was happy to receive a letter for 20% off of a future cruise.

I booked a cruise a few weeks ago, and went to the site to fulfill this 20% and filled out the form. Took about a week and the 20% off was applied.

Here's the thing. I booked early saver. I thought the 20% off would be applied like a payment (like the future cruise certificate). It's not. It's taken directly off the cost of the cruise.

So in the end, there is NO reason to book early saver if you're going to use one of the letters. I doubt seriously that the cost of an 8A balcony is gonna drop below $527, after all.

Still. I'm happy with my room and most definitely my price. But if I'd known I would have booked Past Guest rate and upgraded to a higher deck.

wow!

there was a time when they said the discount is off the lowest available fare you find.

this is truly bad news.

wow!

there was a time when they said the discount is off the lowest available fare you find.

this is truly bad news.

Im pretty sure the OP got ES .. there is not a stipulation which fare its used on.

Maybe its what someone else said, they decided a past guest rate with a free upgrade would have been better, they did ES and then realized with the 20% discount they would never find a cheaper price to match to.

But I think you still use the base price I would think.. never thought if you use the new 20% off price or the base ES price.

I was on the Conquest in October and also got a 20% letter due to the hurricane~ I used my discount for my upcoming cruise on the Splendor and am also ES~ it does work because they applied my discount within 2 days of my booking and 3 days later the price dropped and even though my discounted price was less than the new ES price I still received the discount~ My ES price is $609pp yet I'm only paying $487.20pp~so if the prices go down to below $609 I can get the difference as it's based off of the ES price not the discounted price~ clear as mud?

When using the 20% coupon, you can book the ES saver, but don't apply the 20% off yet just in case the price do drop, when you are getting ready to make final payment at the last minutes, then you call Carnival or your travel agent and tell them you have the 20% off coupon.

Unfortunately, after the 20% apply and if the rate drop they compare it with your discount price.

Still....I wish I have a 20% coupon though!!!!

Im pretty sure the OP got ES .. there is not a stipulation which fare its used on.

Maybe its what someone else said, they decided a past guest rate with a free upgrade would have been better, they did ES and then realized with the 20% discount they would never find a cheaper price to match to.

But I think you still use the base price I would think.. never thought if you use the new 20% off price or the base ES price.

is this all a guess? :rolleyes:

I was on the Conquest in October and also got a 20% letter due to the hurricane~ I used my discount for my upcoming cruise on the Splendor and am also ES~ it does work because they applied my discount within 2 days of my booking and 3 days later the price dropped and even though my discounted price was less than the new ES price I still received the discount~ My ES price is $609pp yet I'm only paying $487.20pp~so if the prices go down to below $609 I can get the difference as it's based off of the ES price not the discounted price~ clear as mud?

Glad to hear this. :) We were on the same sailing as you, and getting ready to book our next one and use our 20%. It would make sense that we would get 20% off the lowest price. Thanks for posting!

is this all a guess? :rolleyes:

when I say "I think" that means Im guessing what the OP was meaning.. that they think they could not get price drops below what they are now booked at.

As you see above .. someone else said they did, so the OP should be happy .. if thats the question.

I was confused what the OP was getting at, so asked.. and still confused what they were getting at.

If Im sure, I will just say the answer .. if I say "I think" Im not sure.

Sorry this all confuses the heck out of me... Maybe I try to think to much into it. :confused:

Here is my question and hopefully it's a easy one to answer.

We recieved a letter after our Splendor cruise was cancelled last winter. Said something like 25% of your next cruise. I would have to read to to be sure.

I am hoping since all 4 in my family was booked we can all 4 get the discount... I will have to call the "red tape dept" for that. I think we have 2 years to use it again I need to figure that out.

But my question I hope is easily answered is this..... Do I have to book through 1-800-I have a discount? or can I really book through my PVP and call 1-800- I have a discount closer to cruise date?

I like being able to book ES and wait to the last minute to add the discount..like someone else said!!

When I spoke to a PVP, he said that he could book the cruise for me using the discount. He also said that it applied to everyone included in the booking for which the discount was given. Hope this helps.

Thanks I figured it would go toward the whole family as they where all scheduled to go with us but it was just a form letter (if I remember correctly) no names on it. We are just waiting to use it. We ahve a 5 day in Oct booked now but thinking to splurge a little when we use our discount... nicer room or longer cruise. I really want to sail Magic in a cove:D

This is the link that you are supposed to use for the discount~

http://www.carnival.com/cms/RequestForms/ReimbursementForm_CC.htm

I could never get it to submit but I just told my PVP about the issue and she gave me a number to a different department to call and they helped me from there~ sorry I don't ahve that number anymore~

wow!

this is truly bad news.

They are still saying that but you have to be lower than what you paid. OP paid $527 which is 20% less than the advertised fare. To get a reduction the price has to be lower than what was actually paid.

They are still saying that but you have to be lower than what you paid. OP paid $527 which is 20% less than the advertised fare. To get a reduction the price has to be lower than what was actually paid.

Not what my PVP told me~ I got a reduction in price off of the ES price, not what I actually paid~

When I booked the price was $659 and the 20% was applied so my price was ~$527.20, the price then dropped to $609 and I sent in the ES form showing that the price had dropped and in 2 days I received confirmation and my cost is now $487.20. If the price drops below $609 I can send in the form and get the reduction~ It's based on the current price versus what it was, not what I paid with my discount~

Archived