Secret Tour of Doge's Palace - Venice

Queenzena

Just did this in April. There is nothing that i can think of that would cause you to feel claustrophobic. The rooms are large with the exception of Cassanova's cell but even that has a window to the outside in it! :D No caves or dungeons. The torture room was large as well lol

The tour goes up into what feels like the attic.

The air becomes a little "close" and the room may feel crowded while the guide is talking.

You can always step into the corridor if you like.

I do not think the tour is an absolute must, to get the flavor of the city if you think it will be too tight for you.

If there's outside light, I'm usually ok. And if there is a hallway or other area I can step into nearby - I'm ok. It's places where I cannot easily get out (like the dungeons underneath the Cartagena fortress, or this basement escape route in a 500 yr old village in China - very tiny stairway to access - that I cannot handle. Thanks for the info!

The tour goes up into what feels like the attic.

The air becomes a little "close" and the room may feel crowded while the guide is talking.

You can always step into the corridor if you like.

I do not think the tour is an absolute must, to get the flavor of the city if you think it will be too tight for you.

hmmm, i do not recall anything that felt like an attic? but since i am not claustrophobic maybe i just did not notice?

hmmm, i do not recall anything that felt like an attic? but since i am not claustrophobic maybe i just did not notice?

It definitely goes into the attics! Way up under the rafters--that's where all the armaments are stored.

My DH is a little claustrophobic and said it was not a problem, although upon reflection he did say it felt a bit 'close' at times.

My recommendation is to allow adequate time to tour the public rooms of the palace afterward--we did not and missed a lot, I'm afraid. It looked gorgeous from our brief glimpse.

I'm very interested in this. I'm also very claustrophobic. I've had to sit out portions of other tours in caves & dungeons. Can anyone tell me if that would be a problem here?

We did this a few years ago, and I think some of it also depends upon how your guide presents it. We were there with our two daughters (14 & 17 at the time). My younger daughter and I do tend to get a bit claustrophobic. When it came to the part in the tour, pretty early on, where we were going to start going up to some of the secret rooms (whatever they are), our guide present this rather dimly. She noted that we would be in very tight quarters, that it would be extremely hot and oppressive and that there really would be no turning back. She also added that if any one had any problems while up there the only way out would be to radio for someone to come get them out. Needless to say, with this kind of introduction, the two of us opted out. My husband and older daughter went on, while we got to explore the rest of the palace, which was lovely. After about an hour we found our way to where the tour ended so we could wait for my husband and daughter. At that time a different guide was about to take another group up. She, however, described the experience way differently. She never once implied that it would be anything horrific or uncomfortable. She was quite perky and did a really great job. I think that if we had her as a guide, we likely would have continued the tour. When my husband came out he said there were a couple places that might have been a little tight, but it was not unpleasant at all, and certainly not the near-death experience we were told about.

I am not allowed to post exact site where you can pre-purchase tickets for the Secret Doges Palace Tour . So do a Google search for SCDP Tour and that will tell you where you can pre-purchase tickets on line .

Does anyone know if the Secret Intinerary Tour also get you into Correr Museum? I know the pass gets you into Doge's Palace following the tour, but wasn't sure about Correr Museum .... or do you have to buy a sperate museum pass?

Thanks

I've been doing a bit of research on the Secret Itinerary Tour myself and have Rick Steves Guide where he states that the Secret Itinerary Tour does NOT get you into the Correr Museum.

Archived