Straight Kosher Diet/kitchen? Is this a problem?

From what I have read about the Kosher meals from the CCL website the Kosher meals are frozen and you will not get seconds they bring enough on for the people who request it ahead of time.

This is my opinion but it sounds like they try to discourage Jewish people from cruising.

Not all Jews keep kosher.

From what I have read about the Kosher meals from the CCL website the Kosher meals are frozen and you will not get seconds they bring enough on for the people who request it ahead of time.

This is my opinion but it sounds like they try to discourage Jewish people from cruising.

I don't feel that they are trying to discourage Jewish people at all.........they provide a means to get Kosher food, it would be impractical for them to maintain a Kosher kitchen on every ship with so few people needing it.......but I wouldn't consider that being discouraging.....

Be careful with a vegetarian diet. Lots of the dishes have cheese. Probably more of a vegan diet is best. If she decides that a vegan diet is acceptable the hostess will help her choose her menu the night before.

(Most cheese is not kosher. Most hard cheeses are made with milk and the lining of a cow's stomach. Many soft cheeses can be kosher- cream cheese, brie, mozzarella.)

I know that vegetarian dishes are available, but not vegan, at least not that can be ordered off a menu and prepared as vegan

I didn't notice that this was posted...

Kosher Meals

Kosher foods are those that conform to Jewish dietary laws. We are able to provide Kosher meals for guests who request them. Kosher meals are available on all ships and itineraries, in limited quantities.

Procedures

• We will accept requests for Kosher meals up to 2-weeks prior to the saildate; for Europe cruises, the request will be accepted up to 8-weeks prior to the saildate. For last minute requests (within 2-weeks of the saildate), contact Guest Solutions to see if we are able to accommodate the request.
  • The meals cannot be requested through any e-channels.

General Information

• Due to the limited choices, guests may still opt to bring their own pre-packaged meals or they may have the meals delivered to the ship. Guest Solutions will handle these requests as there are specific procedures regarding delivery and storage of the meals. There are no selections for breakfast-type food but guests may order from the selections below.
  • The Kosher meals will only be served in the Main Dining Room during breakfast, lunch and dinner. When the ship is in port and the Main Dining Room is closed for lunch, arrangements can be made for the meal to be delivered by Room Service to the guest’s stateroom.

Description of Selections

• Roast Breast of Chicken with Sweet Noodle Kugel (pronounced KOO-gul), Carrots Tzimmise (pronounced TSIM-us) with Prunes
  • Pot Roast with Kishka (pronounced KISH-kuh) Oriental Vegetable Souffle
  • Turkey Schnitzel with Sweet Potato Spears and Spinach Croquettes <
  • Fillet of Salmon with Steamed White Rice and Green Beans
  • Stuffed Cabbage and Barley Peas
  • Beef, Steak Grilled Jardimiere, Mashed Potatos and Chimi
  • Grilled Chicken Leg, Risotto and Spinach Kugel
  • Snapper, Pot Croq and Julienne Carrots

Description of Meal

• Webermans Traditional Foods of Miami, Florida is the supplier of the meals. >The meals are Glatt Kosher. >Meals are delivered to the ship in frozen containers with double sealed plastic wrap.
  • A steamer is used to warm up the meals and served on disposable plates.

As you can see by the fact that they are even allowing those that wish to have their own meals delivered is very accommodating!

Strict kosher is not common in the midwest. My friends even eat pork. Their sons when they come home from camp in Boston tend to be more strict for a while but then they adapt back.

Vegetarian or vegan meals aren't the answer if someone keeps kosher. True kosher vegetarian meals still must be prepared under strict supervision. Vegetables and any items that are kosher can be rendered non-kosher if they are prepared on equipment used for non-kosher food.

I think they need to speak with this girl and find out just what exactly her food requirements are concerning kosher food, and explain her options. Then they can speak with Carnival and plan accordingly.

I didn't notice that this was posted...

Actually I posted a link to this yesterday.

I would be damned if I would want to eat frozen food served on paper plates.

They have to serve on disposable plates because there has to be separate dishes and dishwashers for meat and dairy. Disposable is the best way to solve this problem.

FYI - Ted Arison (the founder of Carnival) is an Israeli Jew.

I know that vegetarian dishes are available, but not vegan, at least not that can be ordered off a menu and prepared as vegan

Vegan meals would have to be ordered the night before.

There are many ways to keep Kosher. Some communities will only eat off of Chinet brand paper plates for disposable plates. They have an OU.

The basic rules are relatively easy. Differing community norms can make one crazy.

I searched around a bit for this answer but its rather jumbled up with vegan and other stuff. My daughter's roommate from college is going on our cruise with us and she requires a kosher diet. Not being very knowledgeable about this issue, I need to know... can she order a kosher diet and is the kitchen kosher? or can she just get a kosher diet? I am assuming it is all a matter of informing our TA and then requesting this diet with Carnival.... yes?:confused:

NCBEACHTEACHER - Read post # 32, at the bottom. It says "Meals are GLATT Kosher." Glatt Kosher refers to a particular Kosher standard, anyone who keeps Kosher will know what it means.

I would be damned if I would want to eat frozen food served on paper plates.

Why should CCL spend millions on a special kitchen and staff to only serve a handful of cruisers every year? Like was said, there was a Jewish cruise but that was very expensive - and the cost was spread amongst half the passengers.

No, CCL should not be expected to cater and foot the bill for all the odd and strange diets around the world.

Archived