Straight Kosher Diet/kitchen? Is this a problem?

I searched around a bit for this answer but its rather jumbled up with vegan and other stuff. My daughter's roommate from college is going on our cruise with us and she requires a kosher diet. Not being very knowledgeable about this issue, I need to know... can she order a kosher diet and is the kitchen kosher? or can she just get a kosher diet? I am assuming it is all a matter of informing our TA and then requesting this diet with Carnival.... yes?:confused:

I searched around a bit for this answer but its rather jumbled up with vegan and other stuff. My daughter's roommate from college is going on our cruise with us and she requires a kosher diet. Not being very knowledgeable about this issue, I need to know... can she order a kosher diet and is the kitchen kosher? or can she just get a kosher diet? I am assuming it is all a matter of informing our TA and then requesting this diet with Carnival.... yes?:confused:

Although I believe you can request a Kosher diet, I would also bet that the kitchen is not Kosher; two expensive to have two identical kitchens on-board.

My understanding is that she can order a kosher diet through special needs but the meals are prepared off ship and maintained as kosher. She definately needs to let the ship know before hand and get confirmation.

You might want to ask this on the Ask John section of his blog just to get a more official statement.

If she is strict Kosher, Carnival will not be able to prepare her food in their kitchen, so they will probably be premade and warmed up. Nothing she eats can touch their pans, plates, or utensils.

I have some Modern Orthodox friends that will eat off a non-Kosher plate for some work and social functions and will generally order a salad to avoid non-Kosher meat.

Definitely ask the friend exactly what she needs. I would avoid the pre-made food if possible and do a vegetarian diet on the cruise because I'd think it would be more enjoyable :)

There are all degrees of "keeping kosher". For some people, it's just not eating non-kosher meat. For others, they won't eat the food if it was touched by a non-Jew.

Your daughter's friend should discuss this directly with Carnival...just so there's no confusion.

From what I have read kosher meals are available but if she is strict kosher then they are brought on frozen from an approved source, reheated and served on disposable dishes. There is a pretty limited menu and it has to be arranged ahead of time. Don't expect to be able to order a kosher meal when you get there.

She/You will need to call Carnival and discuss it with them asap and get your TA to help you.

From what I have read kosher meals are available but if she is strict kosher then they are brought on frozen from an approved source, reheated and served on disposable dishes. There is a pretty limited menu and it has to be arranged ahead of time. Don't expect to be able to order a kosher meal when you get there.

She/You will need to call Carnival and discuss it with them asap and get your TA to help you.

I believe this is correct.

I can share from experience that Carnival does NOT maintain a fully 100% Kosher kitchen. You (or your TA/PVP, whomever booked the cruise for you) should contact the Special Needs department and let them know that your daughter's friend requires Kosher meals. They will definitely be prepared off ship and brought to the ship in reheatable containers.

All of this needs to be done a minimum of 30 days prior to your sailing so that they can have everything ready.

I would also strongly suggest that you send a message to John Heald via his blog and Facebook page so that he can help you out with this.

Kryssa, the person in question cannot do a vegetarian/vegan meal plan on board - when one keeps kosher, there are very strict guidelines that need to be followed such as keeping all meat-based products and milk-based products separate, using kosher-specific spices, using separate utensils for milk and meat items, etc.

I can share from experience that Carnival does NOT maintain a fully 100% Kosher kitchen. You (or your TA/PVP, whomever booked the cruise for you) should contact the Special Needs department and let them know that your daughter's friend requires Kosher meals. They will definitely be prepared off ship and brought to the ship in reheatable containers.

All of this needs to be done a minimum of 30 days prior to your sailing so that they can have everything ready.

I would also strongly suggest that you send a message to John Heald via his blog and Facebook page so that he can help you out with this.

Kryssa, the person in question cannot do a vegetarian/vegan meal plan on board - when one keeps kosher, there are very strict guidelines that need to be followed such as keeping all meat-based products and milk-based products separate, using kosher-specific spices, using separate utensils for milk and meat items, etc.

I don't think there is any argument that the kitchen is certainly NOT kosher.

She'll obviously be limited to just 3 meals a day in the MDR then, because the Lido won't be able to prepare any "in between meal food", right?

The MDR isn't open all of the time, so she'll have to order it through Room Service on days when they're not open for lunch. She'll need to bring her own food for breakfast and snacks.

The Kosher menu-diet is good on CCL even though it is not prepared on ship. My uncle kept kosher. He passed a few years ago but 5 years ago thought the food was good on the kosher menu. Just call CCL customer service/special needs, they are really helpful.

From what I have read about the Kosher meals from the CCL website the Kosher meals are frozen and you will not get seconds they bring enough on for the people who request it ahead of time.

This is my opinion but it sounds like they try to discourage Jewish people from cruising.

The meals are frozen prepared meals. Served on disposible plates and serveware. She will take the plastic lid off herself. I have heard that they are perfectly adequate. I have seen them at dinner. I have no idea what is served at breakfast or lunch on port days. There are glasses in the MDR and bars but plastic around the pool and at the buffet.

It really depends on how kosher she is. Some will not eat anything without a heksher (symbol). I know a few who will eat 'cold' out not 'hot' outside their own home, they will eat salads and fruit. I also know others whose kitchens are kosher but their stomachs are not. If she does eat 'cold' she needs to know that the dishes on the buffet are plastic and the servewear is metal.

There are kosher cruises available. Some kosher cruises book half of a ship and commandeer a kitchen, completely kashering it. They will also bring in all the dishes, pots, pans, utensils, etc. After the cruise these get rotated into regular service. These cruises are not cheap by any means.

Halal and Kosher are similar. I would assume that the Muslim crew follow Halal to the best of their ability, if they so choose. Many Jews do not keep kosher but don't eat pork or shellfish and do not mingle milk and meat.

Definitely ask the friend exactly what she needs. I would avoid the pre-made food if possible and do a vegetarian diet on the cruise because I'd think it would be more enjoyable :)

Be careful with a vegetarian diet. Lots of the dishes have cheese. Probably more of a vegan diet is best. If she decides that a vegan diet is acceptable the hostess will help her choose her menu the night before.

(Most cheese is not kosher. Most hard cheeses are made with milk and the lining of a cow's stomach. Many soft cheeses can be kosher- cream cheese, brie, mozzarella.)

From what I have read about the Kosher meals from the CCL website the Kosher meals are frozen and you will not get seconds they bring enough on for the people who request it ahead of time.

This is my opinion but it sounds like they try to discourage Jewish people from cruising.

As a matter of fact Carnival recently started offering Kosher food. Sounds to me like they are encouraging.

HAL has offered Kosher food for years now.

Archived