Review: Spirit Alaska 6/14/2011

sb4ever

We just got back from our Alaskan cruise on the Spirit; what a beautiful ship!

I don't have pictures uploaded yet (I took over 700) but I can try to answer questions if you have any.

We actually flew in on Sunday to have an extra day to see the city and adjust to the two time zone difference. We booked a town car from the airport for $40 for the four of us; we had two huge suitcases and three smaller suitcases. Everything fit and we had plenty of room. We stayed at Springhill Suites Downtown; great hotel; reasonably priced; free shuttle to the Space Needle; huge free breakfast; walking distance (about a mile or so) to Pike's Place.

We took the 10 a.m. shuttle from the hotel to the pier. There was hardly anyone there yet and check-in took maybe 10-15 minutes with no line. We were in embarkation zone 3. The staff at the port were extremely friendly. Boarding started at 11:20 and we were on board by 11:40; we had our seats at the Lido buffet by 11:50.

Once we were done at the buffet, we got our soda cards and began exploring the ship. We got a little lost at first because the doors to the cabins were still shut.

Our rooms were ready by 1:30; we went to recharge and had our first (of many) ice cream breaks. :D

I fell in love with Stu from his first announcement! He was so friendly and approachable throughout the cruise (plus, I just love to hear him talk!)

My husband and daughter went to a 2:00 presentation on the Alaskan gold rush which he found to be very interesting. My son and I practiced mini golf.

Muster was painless and it was time for sail away. We were still too stuffed from lunch to go to dinner in the MDR; we just grazed on Lido deck later in the evening.

Husband, son and daughter participated in the first trivia contest of the evening; hubby came in 2nd, son came in 1st. Hooray for a ship on a stick!

Thanks for posting so quickly after your return! I would love to know how the weather was during your cruise. We are going on the Spirit next June, and I would love to get a feel for what the weather might be like.

Looking forward to your review! We are just off the 7 day Dream cruise to the Western Caribbean, and planning the next cruise 5/22/12 for my sister's birthday. Switching my mindset from palm trees to incredible snow capped mountain vistas. Thank you in advance, I may have a few questions ;)

Thanks for posting so quickly after your return! I would love to know how the weather was during your cruise. We are going on the Spirit next June, and I would love to get a feel for what the weather might be like.

Sorry it's taken me a couple of days to get back on here! The weather was around the low 60s at its warmest and most of the time it hovered in the 50s. We brought jeans and long sleeve t-shirts and would layer with lighter jackets. The only time I wore shorts was when I went for my run.

For early morning balcony viewing, I needed a sweatshirt, jeans and my cabin robe. Even then, I had to go back in every so often to warm up.

Ok, back to reviewing (darn baseball and illnesses!) :D

Sunday evening, Michelle, the naturalist, gave her first talk; I found it interesting but my daughter fell asleep (we'll let her slack as she's only 5 and it had been a long day!)

We went to the Camp Carnival kick off party in the disco. There wasn't really a large number of kids in my daughter's age range, but that was nice because compared to other Carnival ships, the Camp was a little smaller area.

My son went to the Circle C kick-off. I think he had fun as he didn't come back to the cabin until well around midnight.

Hubby hit the craps table after I laid down with my daughter. He was up at the end of his run :D

Monday was the first day at sea. My body was having a heck of a time with the time change and sunrise at 4:30 didn't help matters. I spent some quiet time on the balcony. We were in open waters but sailing was still very smooth.

We had breakfast every day at the Lido buffet. My son loved the omlettes. My only complaint about the Lido buffet in general is that it's really tight quarters and it's difficult to find a table during peak times.

Since we were in open waters, the upper decks were closed due to high winds. No mini golf or ping pong this morning :(

There was a lot of trivia today. It was almost too much, but then again, it's a nice way to get to know other cruisers.

There was a really nice selection of board games in the Monarch's Room and you could usually find someone willing to play. My son spent quite a bit of time there.

I caught the tail end of the naturalist talk about animals of Alaska. It was very informative.

We played some Bingo; if you go to "Cash Craze" Bingo listed in the FT, you actually get two of the Cash Craze pull tabs with each card. We won $10 with those but no luck on actual Bingo. I didn't fare well on the slot tournament either :p

I am confused . . . we are sailing on the Spirit on 7-19 and that is a Tuesday yet you talk about Sunday and Monday as the first two days. Is this just a typo? Did I miss something? Just wondering! But thanks for the info and I anxiously await more!

Thanks for the weather info and the great cruise details! We are around 110 degrees here so 50"s & 60"s sound welcome to me. My husband and I hated that awkward crowded layout of the Lido deck. We found out after the first day how hard it can be to find a table up there. Instead of diners you get squatters who don't want to leave the view they have from their table. I think that area works better for families than couples-that way a couple can sit and visit at the table while the rest get their food.

I am confused . . . we are sailing on the Spirit on 7-19 and that is a Tuesday yet you talk about Sunday and Monday as the first two days. Is this just a typo? Did I miss something? Just wondering! But thanks for the info and I anxiously await more!

Just me being confused :eek: Sorry about that!

Thanks for the weather info and the great cruise details! We are around 110 degrees here so 50"s & 60"s sound welcome to me. My husband and I hated that awkward crowded layout of the Lido deck. We found out after the first day how hard it can be to find a table up there. Instead of diners you get squatters who don't want to leave the view they have from their table. I think that area works better for families than couples-that way a couple can sit and visit at the table while the rest get their food.

Squatters were pretty bad on Lido; we figured out pretty quickly when peak times were and avoided it and just went a little later.

We are staying at this hotel in August. You indicate they offer a shuttle to the pier. Is that correct?

The hotel shuttle only goes to the mall area and and Space Needle for free. The shuttle to the pier needs to be booked in advance at the front desk and is $7 per person. The pier is definitely not in walking distance.

Was the MDR open for lunch on the sailing day? And did they have a naturalist talk every day?

Only the Lido buffet was open for lunch on sailing day.

Michelle had scheduled talks on Tuesday, Wednesday and the last day at sea (Monday, I think); however, she would come on periodically and talk about what part of the inside passage we were sailing through and what wildlife we could see. She also would be on the bridge scanning for wildlife and if she saw whales, porpoises, etc., she would come on the announcements.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived