Does NCL no longer go to Mexico?

reefgirl

Nita – Jamaicans, for the most part, do not respect their primary source of income, which is tourism. They constantly harass the tourists into buying all sorts of legal and illegal substances. The police there are corrupt and so are their laws. I can’t say anything really positive about the island of Jamaica. They have a lot of natural island beauty but the people of the island make it so bad that it’s really no point to get off the ship when it pulls into Ocho Rios. I’ve never been to Montego Bay so I can’t speak for there. The James Bond pier is a nice welcome, you get off the ship and it smells so bad that you feel like you’re going to puke. What kind of welcome is that? The International pier in Ocho Rios we docked at the second time and thankfully didn’t have that smell. Glad you had some positive experiences there because I haven’t yet and don’t plan on giving them any more tries. It’s my vacation and I want to relax, not be hassled, worry about my personal safety or keep eyes in the back of my head. That’s not relaxing.

When we cruised back in the 80's to Jamaica we were suppose to dock in Ocho Rios, but a hurricane was there the week prior and there was a lod of destruction done to that area and they decided to dock somewhere else. I do believe it was Montego Bay. It was BAD in my opinion. We were scared, got ripped off, was in the middle of a drug run from our taxi, watched people on the beach get robbed, and behind us on the beach was a house with pot plants as tall as the house...yes, they were being guarded by several BIG guys with guns standing as if they were a soldier. Nothing but hassles of people trying to sell you drugs with a cop standing 3 feet away. Never again unless things have changed...but it sounds like it hasn't. :(

When we cruised back in the 80's to Jamaica we were suppose to dock in Ocho Rios, but a hurricane was there the week prior and there was a lod of destruction done to that area and they decided to dock somewhere else. I do believe it was Montego Bay. It was BAD in my opinion. We were scared, got ripped off, was in the middle of a drug run from our taxi, watched people on the beach get robbed, and behind us on the beach was a house with pot plants as tall as the house...yes, they were being guarded by several BIG guys with guns standing as if they were a soldier. Nothing but hassles of people trying to sell you drugs with a cop standing 3 feet away. Never again unless things have changed...but it sounds like it hasn't. :(

I will say we did not have the drug issue though I have heard others did. Even then we hated Montego Bay: it was dirty, the people were pushy, we couldn't trust anyone, we felt so unsafe on the local bus we walked back to the ship. I could go on and on. I would still do Ocho Rios or a couple other places, but never Montego Bay.

Nita

I booked my western cruise according to the itinerary that DID NOT include Jamaica on it. IF I ever do go on one that has it as a port, I think the ONLY way I would do it is a cruise sponsored tour going to the falls. But other than that, no way.

I booked my western cruise according to the itinerary that DID NOT include Jamaica on it. IF I ever do go on one that has it as a port, I think the ONLY way I would do it is a cruise sponsored tour going to the falls. But other than that, no way.

There are a few ports where I would only do cruise sponsored tours: Samana is one as well.

Nita

I'm just as confused as everyone else. The OP doesn't state Mexican Riviera, just "Mexico", which would lead me to believe it's actually Mexico. If so, of course they still go there. I'm booked on one of their cruises now to Mexico.

Not true., the western carribean is not the mexican riveria. I think we all know that. If crime is the problem , then Nassua,freeport ect... are out.

Not true., the western carribean is not the mexican riveria. I think we all know that. If crime is the problem , then Nassua,freeport ect... are out.

:confused: I know the mexican riveria is not mexico...I didn't say anything like that. The OP just wrote Mexico...so people were confused if the OP was talking about mexico (which is what was wrote) or the mexiCAN reveria. So I have no clue what you are talking about when you wrote that and started talking about crime in Nassau. :confused::cool:

Jamaica isn't my favorite place either and we were there in th 90s. That being said, we had a couple of positive experiences there as well. I would not get off the ship in Montego Bay unless it has changed, a couple other areas are not that bad. I do know how you feel, we have a bad experience in St Lucia about 10 years ago and I don't want to go back. I know it isn't a bad port, I just can't forget what happened. Yes, Jacaica has a bad reputation.

Nita

A lot can change in 20-years. Current facts are much more useful here.

What is different in Samana than in Casa de Campo? I’ve been to Casa de Campo twice and had a great time. I know one is on the Northern side of the island and the other is on the Southern side. What other differences are there? Is Samana a more economically depressed area than Casa de Campo? I’ve only seen beautiful things of the Dominican Republic when I’ve gone there. I would like more details as the cruise in January has a port call to Samana. Thanks!

Archived