Single Cruiser

mikefast

I suppose this has been asked a number of times, but I don't remember what the answer was. If a person is the only person in a stateroom, does he pay double the price, or does Carnival give a break on the price. My wife and I want to take a cruise pretty soon, but will have to bring another person along with us. I don't want to share our room with the third person, would rather him have his own cabin. Thanks for your help.

There are some very very very few cruises that the solo supplement isnt 200%. Yep, they will pay double the cruisefare, but only pay one of the small add on taxes and fees. not much of a break.

iv just done 3 in a row solo.

RCL has more solo deals and sometimes no solo supplement. Carnival used to have 1As at a 150% rate, and I keep telling my PVP Im hoping they bring them back.

I suppose this has been asked a number of times, but I don't remember what the answer was. If a person is the only person in a stateroom, does he pay double the price, or does Carnival give a break on the price. My wife and I want to take a cruise pretty soon, but will have to bring another person along with us. I don't want to share our room with the third person, would rather him have his own cabin. Thanks for your help.

He has to pay for two minus the port fee and taxes for the second person. :(

He has to pay for two minus the port fee and taxes for the second person. :(

Port fees are included in the cruisefare.. there was a time. 3 or 4 years ago, when carnival did not charge for the 2nd NCF portion of the cruisefare (which is mostly the port fees), but sadly no longer.

Now they just do not pay the 2nd add on taxes and fees. they pay double port fees.

Thanks for the help. I knew I could count on you. As far as I'm concerned, cruising is the best value for the money there is. My wife goes to shop, and I go to eat. :D

I like shopping and eating both.

I did a quick search and found only two cruises that dont charge but 48% extra for solo, both on destiny.

If Im solo, it just has to be a really good price, hope the friend enjoys her cabin. She can push the beds together and have a whole large queen/king to herself.

Port fees are included in the cruisefare.. there was a time. 3 or 4 years ago, when Carnival did not charge for the 2nd NCF portion of the cruisefare (which is mostly the port fees), but sadly no longer.

Now they just do not pay the 2nd add on taxes and fees. They pay double port fees.

Unfortunately, that is absolutely correct information.

But what Firefly fails to mention (because she's more polite than I am) is that if weather, or other factors, keeps a ship from reaching its scheduled port destination . . . a solo passenger does not receive those double port charges in return as refund. CCL simply says, "Too bad. So sad. Cha-ching."

And I say, "Kiss my grits".

Double occupancy is a bummer for the single traveler. If I cruise alone I will invite my little sister along. I'm already paying to go anyway, I might as well bring her along even if it does cost more in tips, taxes & fees. Her only responsibility is to buy a plane ticket to get herself from her home state to the port.

That being said, as much as I love my sister, I sure wouldn't mind finding a cruise with little or no supplement. :D

Unfortunately, that is absolutely correct information.

But what Firefly fails to mention (because she's more polite than I am) is that if weather, or other factors, keeps a ship from reaching its scheduled port destination . . . a solo passenger does not receive those double port charges in return as refund. CCL simply says, "Too bad. So sad. Cha-ching."

And I say, "Kiss my grits".

Actually CCL doesnt return port charges to either pax. They now return the TAXES on the port fees only .. and as you say, for one person. You have to be present to get the refund if you miss a port.

Here is a better one .. if you over pay the charged fees and taxes, they only issued one OBC to me, not to the invisible 2nd person. Was only about $10, but I noticed.

Actually CCL doesnt return port charges to either pax. They now return the TAXES on the port fees only .. and as you say, for one person. You have to be present to get the refund if you miss a port.

Here is a better one .. if you over pay the charged fees and taxes, they only issued one OBC to me, not to the invisible 2nd person. Was only about $10, but I noticed.

What do you mean :"you have to be present to get the refund"?

What do you mean :"you have to be present to get the refund"?

My sister was a no show. We had booked ES, so no name changes.

If you get a refund/OBC, its only for the person who boarded, not the no show pax.

I think if you are paying for two, you should get both refunds on missed ports or a drop in the taxes and fees (we had both paid). We did get a refund on the taxes and fees that were in effect when we sailed, but not what we actually paid, that I got a OBC for.

If you miss ports and pay for two people including, two port fees embedded in the cruise fare, seems like you should get two refunds on missed ports.

If you can be flexible and book at the last minute you can sometimes get a lower supplement charge for the single. For that matter, if the ship doesn't fill, you can often get a lower fee for yourselves also. At least that's been my experience when dealing with my PVP.

Check out NCL

They have "solo" cabins on Epic and will have them on their 2 new builds...

rumor is that they may convert some cabins on other ships too??

the solo cabins on Epic have their own "singles" "living room" area with a nightly get together, singles host and a "whiteboard" so that singles can sign up to go to dinner together, take in a show together

NCL is also very very "group" friendly, letting groups hold space for a long while...unlike Carnival which recently went to a "30 day" hold ...you have to have 8 cabins booked or you lose the group space

NCL gives fantastic perks to singles groups also....best cocktail party ever with salmon, shrimp, caviar h'ordorves and super steak on a stick appetizers...anything you want to drink for an hour except top shelf

Archived