Tram from LMA to Market square Helsinki

I am trying to make sense of the public transport in Helsinki and have read so many posts my head is spinning! I have copied this from another thread which seems the easiest....

Change from tram #6 to tram #3T at Ylioppilastalo including 2 block walk between stops:

7 min on tram #6 + 0.2 mile walk + 5 min wait + 3 min on tram #3T.

(from the stop go forward and turn right into Alexander street circling Stockmann department store and then continue two blocks on Alexander street to the tram stop.)

Do you know the name of the stop where you pick up the 3T. Ylioppilastalo is not on the list for the 3T so it must have another name. The tourist information office in Helsinki are kindly sending me some maps and I am hoping to be able to find the stops and make sense of it before we visit in August. Thanks:)

I am trying to make sense of the public transport in Helsinki and have read so many posts my head is spinning! I have copied this from another thread which seems the easiest....

The tourist information office in Helsinki are kindly sending me some maps and I am hoping to be able to find the stops and make sense of it before we visit in August. Thanks:)

Sorry if an earlier answer from me has caused confusion. The 3T stop you were looking for is named "Aleksanterinkatu". At the moment I don't remember why I adviced that route but there is an easier way to do it all:

Just take tram 6 all the way to the railway station (stop: "Rautatieasema") and continue from that stop with tram 3T in the same direction to Senate Square (stop: "Senaatintori"). So there is no need to walk apart from the initial long walk from the quay to the tram #6 stop and then the last block from the Senate Square to the Market Square.

Again, sorry for any confusion I might have created.

You were certainly allowed to walk it last year. This is LMA looking towards the tram stops.

ry%3D400

You walk through this 'tent' and follow the road past where the bus is parked (its all marked).

ry%3D400

The tram stops are up by the low brown building with the white roof, but on the other side of the main road. The whole area was having a major road reconstruction last year, so I can't tell you exactly how to get there, but when you get to the junction, you have got to cross the dual carriageway to get to the No 6 tram stop. It looks worse than it is!! It will take about 10 - 15 mins to walk to the tram stop.

BTW, if you get the chance (and its a nice day) go up the Olympic tower for a great view for only €2. (just off the No 3 tram route)

ry%3D400

Heres the Eclipse from the top of the tower

ry%3D400

Simon

Thanks - that's brilliant! I have it all sorted now. The olympic tower suggestion looks good. I thought we would ride the 3T tram so we can get off and give it a try. We also hope to take the ferry across to Suomenlinna so that should be it!

You were certainly allowed to walk it last year. This is LMA looking towards the tram stops.

The whole area was having a major road reconstruction last year, so I can't tell you exactly how to get there, but when you get to the junction, you have got to cross the dual carriageway to get to the No 6 tram stop. It looks worse than it is!! It will take about 10 - 15 mins to walk to the tram stop.

Most of the construction work is done now so the area is less messy. You can cross the road at the traffic lights or there is a new tunnel under the road a bit to the left. After that just turn right at the houses and follow the tram tracks to the stop. Easier done than explained.

We dock at Olympia..is this the same as LMA? Thanks, Sherry

No, no! Olympia Quay is in South Harbor. Nice location next to the embassy district. You'll pass close to the fortress islands on your way in (don't miss that) and you'll have a nice view of downtown from the ship at quay. 0.6 mile easy walk along the harbour to the Market Square.

We dock at Olympia..is this the same as LMA? Thanks, Sherry

LMA is the code that Helsinki uses for Melkki Quay, a overspill berth that is used when the Hernesaari berths are full.

Basically there are two lots of berths in the Port of Helsinki, near the centre and in the West Harbour. Only fairly small ships can reach the central berths, one of which is Olympia (EO1 on the map).

HEL_berths.png

The large ships tie up in the West Harbour, at either Hernesaari or Melkki Quay.

Discover the Baltic describes Melkki as less a cruise berth than a building site, but it does offer an alternative way to reach the centre without using a shuttle bus. There is a metro station that is apparently closer than the tram stop.

- Lucy

I tested the walk yesterday. It is almost exactly the same distance - 1½ km - to walk from Melkki Quay to the nearest number 6 tram stop, as to the nearest metro station (the route recommended in Discover the Baltic).

The advantages to going to the metro are that

1) there are fewer busy roads to cross

2) you can buy the one-day public transport ticket there; tram drivers don't sell it

3) metro trains are more frequent and get you into the centre of town in less than ten minutes (though the tram doesn't take much longer).

They don't cruise looking for rides. The best stands are Railway Station Plaza (the post office side of the station), by the Market Hall in the South Harbour, in the Great Square in front of the Lutheran Cathedral, or by the Swedish Theatre at the end of the Esplanade.

If you can't find one, and have a mobile phone, call and order one to come to you (after making sure where you are ;-).

The number is +358 100 0700.

Thank you. I'm printing this out and bringing it with me. We will definitely make it to the taxi stand, because we won't have a phone with us.

They don't cruise looking for rides. The best stands are Railway Station Plaza (the post office side of the station), by the Market Hall in the South Harbour, in the Great Square in front of the Lutheran Cathedral, or by the Swedish Theatre at the end of the Esplanade.

If you can't find one, and have a mobile phone, call and order one to come to you (after making sure where you are ;-).

The number is +358 100 0700.

Thanks everyone for your posts - so helpful. I hadn't realised we can't buy the one day ticket on the tram. Now that has thrown my plans. If we want to take the tram number 6 where can we buy tickets? I am looking for the ticket that includes the ferry to Suomenlinna. Otherwise I guess we can use the metro. Thanks again.

Archived