Rental Car Scam in Fort Lauderdale

rachel_95762

Just wanted to let everyone know about a scam that we are having to deal with after our Allure Cruise in May. We rented a car to visit the Everglades and explore Fort Lauderdale before our 7 pm flight home.

Alamo is trying to charge us over $650 for damage to the car that we did not do. We rented with Alamo because they offered the free shuttle from the pier to the airport to pick up the car. You pick up the car in a dark garage and there is no slip to note damage. We did the walk around as a standard thing to do when renting a car and didn't see anything. When we turned the car n the attendant CRAWLED under the bumper and said what about this pointing to damage that could not be seen from someone standing up and just walking abound the car.

The car was around $40 for the 7 hours that we had it. We know that we didn't damage it and now we are having to deal with this scam.

Want to warn everyone not to risk renting with Alamo post cruise because they might try to scam you also.

Wow, that's a real bummer! Did you use a credit card to rent the car? Some will give you insurance automatically on the rental, not sure about the details, etc. Also, what about your car insurance? Wouldn't that cover something? I agree, if the guy had to crawl under the bumper, apparently he already knew something was wrong with the car. I have never had anyone go to that extreme when I returned a vehicle. I hope you have a good resolution, please keep us informed.

Just wanted to let everyone know about a scam that we are having to deal with after our Allure Cruise in May. We rented a car to visit the Everglades and explore Fort Lauderdale before our 7 pm flight home.

Alamo is trying to charge us over $650 for damage to the car that we did not do. We rented with Alamo because they offered the free shuttle from the pier to the airport to pick up the car. You pick up the car in a dark garage and there is no slip to note damage. We did the walk around as a standard thing to do when renting a car and didn't see anything. When we turned the car n the attendant CRAWLED under the bumper and said what about this pointing to damage that could not be seen from someone standing up and just walking abound the car.

The car was around $40 for the 7 hours that we had it. We know that we didn't damage it and now we are having to deal with this scam.

Want to warn everyone not to risk renting with Alamo post cruise because they might try to scam you also.

Sorry to hear about what happened to you. We were also on the Allure (May 1st sailing) and 4 of our extended family are from the Sacramento area. We rented a van from Dollar Rent a Car for 3 days prior to the cruise and drove around Miami and Florida Keys. Just like you, we got our van in a dimly lit garage and 4 of us conducted a complete inspection of the van before leaving the garage. We subsequently discovered a "crack" on the rear bumper once we've parked outside...where it was sunny and the crack was more visible. To make an extremely long story short...we were prepared when we returned the van. To our surprise, the Dollar employee, checked the mileage, walked around the van and looked at the crack, then looked at his clipboard, and then handed me the receipt. Nothing else. Our guess is that the crack may have been previously reported. They could have easily been as nasty and charged my credit card...but didn't. Again, sorry to hear about your bad experience. Hope you guys had a great cruise!:)

Sorry to hear about your experience.

We only rented from Alamo once and that was over 30 years ago in Florida. I found at that time while they had a lower price than some of the other rental car companies that they tried to sneak on additional fees so since that time I have never rented from them and this is another reminder.

Personally, I mainly rent with Hertz and Avis and while a little more expensive up front I feel more comfortable dealing with them.

Keith

I rented from Alomo at Tampa airport last April and also did the walk around in the dark garage. It wasn't until I had exited the security booth that I had to pull over to get my sunglasses out of my suitcase in the trunk, that is when I noticed damage to the bumper; a deep scratch the same color as the paint so it didn't show up in the dimmer light of the parking facility. I was just going to let it go thinking that surely they know about this, when I got this feeling telling me to go back. I'm so glad I did, they did not have it notated and I know they would have tried to pull one over on me. They also charged me for a compact car and when I got out to the garage all they had were the little economy cars. They tried to tell me that some of the Economy cars were also considered in the Compact group. What ???? Total BS. It's either economy OR compact, can't be both. I ended up taking the economy but was billed for the compact. It was only a matter of a few dollars but it was the idea of it. I didn't fight it, but did decide not to rent from Alomo again. Most other rental companies will upgrade you free of charge if they do not have your class of car available, not try to pull a fast one over on you.

If you rent from Alomo at TIA, beware.

I watch these boards alot and hear this complaint with all companies mentioned. I exit the garage and then take time and date stamp pictures of the whole car. Imagine the looks I have had on more than one occasion when they tried to point out damage upon my return. They crawl away real fast.

I've been happy with my rentals from Alamo (just didn't want it to be all negative LOL). I usually buy their insurance as well. I know it's overpriced for what it is, and my own insurance covers the same stuff, but living in another country, I'd rather not deal with it after the fact. It's only another 15 bucks or so.

Archived