Travel car seat/harness

mitsugirly

I'm so confused. I've been searching for hours all day off and on and trying to read up on all the different options of getting a travel car seat or harness. There seem to be so many along with so many suggestions here and there. However, most I've read are kind of old.

I've found people suggesting:

Eddie Bauer portable car seat

Safety 1st Tote N Go

various travel vest

There's multiple portable car seats like the EB on ebay

Costo travel vest

and the list goes on.

I've read in some threads that some have been recalled, but yet I still see some that can be purchased. Other internet sites have mentioned that if you have a toddler over 3 years old that some of the seats are too small and not high enough. They say the shoulder straps are too low and makes it uncomfortable and too tight.

So, I'm looking for some recommendations that people here have actually USED and what their experience is with them and also if they have a child that is a toddler...over 3 years old on whether or not it worked or was too small.

Thanks in advance.

This is what we use:

ridesafervestwithlaponlybelt2.jpg

It is called the Ride Safer Travel Vest. The size is based on the weight of the child who should be 3 years old or older.

http://www.elitecarseats.com/Safe-Traffic-Systems-Ride-Safer-Travel-Vest.pro

http://www.travelswithbaby.com/gear/review_ridesafer.htm

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/298121/anyone-use-a-ride-safer-travel-vest

You can get good deals on Ebay. The caveat is that the child sits low inside the vehicle (vs. when ridding in a car seat). This prevents them from looking out the window and can get bored easily.

I have used the Eddie Bauer Portable Car Seat, the Ride Safer Travel Vest and the Safeguard Go (now the Safety First Go Hybrid). Here are my thoughts:

Eddie Bauer Portable Car Seat- used with my then 3 year old DS, about 38 lbs. I would never suggest this seat to someone. It was next to impossible to get a secure fit in the vehicle, even when using a locking clip on the seat belt. I used it on one trip and never again.

Ride Safer Travel Vest - currently used for my 3.5 year old DD, 41 pounds and 40 inches tall. It fits her well and folds up nicely to fit in a backpack, so is great for travel. Can be used with either a 3 point seatbelt (lap/shoulder) or just a lap belt AND a top tether. She looks so small and tiny when she is in the seat with it on, but the vest does keep the seatbelt in the proper locations (i.e. off of her neck and abdomen) and it has passed all of the safety test for car seats, so I feel safe using it. This is what I will be bringing with us on our Alaskan cruise.

Safeguard Go/Safety 1st Go Hybrid - I have owned this seat the longest of the three I have mentioned here and it has received the most use. I purchased it when it was the Safeguard Go, but the seat is now being manufactured and sold as the Safety First Go Hybrid. This is a great seat for travel. It folds up into a carry bag that you can put over your shoulder. When you look at the picture, the whole reason why it fold up is because there is no hard plastic shell. The back piece is just fabric. This is why it is ESSENTIAL that the seat only be used in cars with top tethers. Without a top tether this seat can only be used in booster mode. I have used this with both of my children at various ages and weights (from 2.5 years old to 5 years, and from about 30+ lbs to 45 lbs.) I have always gotten a really quick install with LATCH, but have not yet had to install it in a vehicle using the seat belt, so I can't comment on that.

If I were to go on a trip where I was driving in the same vehicle every day, and I knew the cars would have top tether anchors, I would bring the Safety First Go Hybrid. (It just feels like it provides a bit more support than the vest.) However, on a trip where I need something that is quick and portable, or where I knew I could find 3 point seatbelts, but was unsure about top tethers, I would bring the vest. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

We don't have any of those options in Canada, as none are approved for use here. So I can't comment on any of your options directly.

What I will say is that you need to know your child, what they are likely to weigh/measure at time of travel and what modes of transportation you will be using. Specifically does your child adapt to change well, or is something familiar better? Are you flying to your port? If so, some of these restraints cannot be use on an aircraft.

Personally we travel with our Britax Marathon. We always have to fly to our ports, so it can be used on the airplane and in ports. I love the built-in lock offs, so we never have to use a locking clip. Plus our 3yo doesn't like change, so to put him into an unfamiliar seat while travelling is just asking for trouble.

The moral of my story is read the instruction/installation manuals well, with an eye for problems that you may encounter while travelling.

For those of you who have the travel vest I have a question...I know it says you can use it with the upper strap and lap belt OR lap belt with tether BUT we are traveling to mexico. Do the taxis have shoulder straps in the back of the taxis?? (I really can't remember if they did). I have twin 3 year olds and don't really want to CARRY around 2 large carseats all day when touring and trying to keep up with twins and a 7 year old. To be honest I have thought about not carrying one at all since we can walk to activities in Key West and Cozumel (our only 2 stops). Thanks for any info. for this confused mom of 3.

I know that I don't want something that will not fold up and can be put in a beach bag (like the Safety 1st hybrid).

I've read that a lot of people swear by the Eddie Bauer one and was suggesting it to a lot of people (when I did a research on here), but they were all kind of older post. I found that by researching online that a few people mentioned that it was too small (the height and straps) to use on a child that was over 3 years old. jac 1976, did you find that your 3 yr old couldn't use it because they were too tall for the straps?

The ride safe seems like it would work well, but it's pretty expensive to me.

My daughter will be 3 1/2 at the time of the cruise. She is around 35 pounds. She is around 33" tall I believe (but would need to confirm this since it's been awhile since I measured and can't remember exactly). She is fine on trips and doesn't wiggle or squirm. Adjust well to changes and doesn't mind riding low.

We will ONLY be using this to get us from the airport to the hotel, hotel to the port (I believe the estimated time was no longer than 20 min and 12 min). We will be sitting in the back of the cab on each side of her. The only other time I would use it is for any excursion that we need a cab for. The longer drives for the excursion is on a bus (Belize), which I'm sure I won't be able to use it. Another is only a 10 min drive. The other, I believe is by a bus and will be sent back in a cab (and they said they would provide a car seat with the ride back).

So, in essence, it will probably only be used once, while in port, for a 10 min drive. The other times, just getting back and forth before and after the cruise. I would NEVER use this at home or for an extended drive. I would not feel comfortable doing this.

No, my 3 yo didn't have a problem with the straps on the Eddie Bauer, but as I said, I had MAJOR problems with the install. I am a stickler for proper installs. I couldn't get a solid install in the car. We went around a corner at normal speed and the whole car seat just slipped out of position and tipped over. I would never suggest it to anyone. That being said, if you do decide to use it, please practice installing it before you go. There can not be more than 1 inch of movement side to side at the belt path (true of any car seat).

My DD was 3 1/2 and 34 lbs on our last cruise. Like you, I struggled with the car seat dilemma. I ended up using a Harmony LiteRider back-less booster that I bought in Wal-Mart for $13. It is approved for kids 30 lbs or over. I bought a booster seat tote and used it as a carry-on for DD. The airlines will not let you use it on the plane, but they will let you gate-check at no charge or carry it on. It is very light weight and easy to carry into port. It was not hard to use at all. We used it at every port. I highly recommend this seat. I looked up the safety ratings and it scored pretty high. Good luck!

No, my 3 yo didn't have a problem with the straps on the Eddie Bauer, but as I said, I had MAJOR problems with the install. I am a stickler for proper installs. I couldn't get a solid install in the car. We went around a corner at normal speed and the whole car seat just slipped out of position and tipped over. I would never suggest it to anyone. That being said, if you do decide to use it, please practice installing it before you go. There can not be more than 1 inch of movement side to side at the belt path (true of any car seat).

I will definitely practice and practice installing prior to going in all of our cars (just to get a different feel for different cars) if we get it. Also as I said, we plan on being on each side of her as well. I know from previous experience that other countries that we have visited drive CRAZY and would still be on each side of her and holding onto her even if it was a regular car seat.

I was just worried that it wouldn't work because of the height.

My DD was 3 1/2 and 34 lbs on our last cruise. Like you, I struggled with the car seat dilemma. I ended up using a Harmony LiteRider back-less booster that I bought in Wal-Mart for $13. It is approved for kids 30 lbs or over. I bought a booster seat tote and used it as a carry-on for DD. The airlines will not let you use it on the plane, but they will let you gate-check at no charge or carry it on. It is very light weight and easy to carry into port. It was not hard to use at all. We used it at every port. I highly recommend this seat. I looked up the safety ratings and it scored pretty high. Good luck!

We have a booster that an actual car manufacturer gave us when we went to their plant for customer appreciation day that they hold every year. I was pregnant at the time and have been holding onto it until she is big enough to use. The thing with the booster seat is, it's just something to boost them up (I feel). No straps or 5 point harness to hold them in for safety. I'm just not sure how that would go over. :confused:

We have a booster that an actual car manufacturer gave us when we went to their plant for customer appreciation day that they hold every year. I was pregnant at the time and have been holding onto it until she is big enough to use. The thing with the booster seat is, it's just something to boost them up (I feel). No straps or 5 point harness to hold them in for safety. I'm just not sure how that would go over. :confused:

Well, it is certainly not as safe as a 5 point harness. I needed to have portability. I didn't want to drag a big car seat on board the plane and ship. I already had too much luggage (for my family of 5) and a stroller. Most backless boosters are for kids over 40 lbs. Check the weight requirements before you use the one you have. The Harmony seat that I took had a shoulder belt positioner. The arm rests position the lap belt low over the hips. I felt that it was the safest option short of bringing a 5 point seat. I was able to install it with a shoulder/lap belt in all of the taxis and rental cars that we used.

I do not plan on using it for any other use except cruising. We have a Britax Boulevard for husband's car. We travel domestically with a Radian 85 that folds for travel (but is very heavy). I just ordered a Britax Frontier for my car.

Click on the link that I inserted in my last post and look at the Harmony website. You are right to do your research and look for the best option for your DD.

Well, it is certainly not as safe as a 5 point harness. I needed to have portability. I didn't want to drag a big car seat on board the plane and ship. I already had too much luggage (for my family of 5) and a stroller. Most backless boosters are for kids over 40 lbs. Check the weight requirements before you use the one you have. The Harmony seat that I took had a shoulder belt positioner. The arm rests position the lap belt low over the hips. I felt that it was the safest option short of bringing a 5 point seat. I was able to install it with a shoulder/lap belt in all of the taxis and rental cars that we used.

I do not plan on using it for any other use except cruising. We have a Britax Boulevard for husband's car. We travel domestically with a Radian 85 that folds for travel (but is very heavy). I just ordered a Britax Frontier for my car.

Click on the link that I inserted in my last post and look at the Harmony website. You are right to do your research and look for the best option for your DD.

I will check the weight requirement on mine. I just didn't want to have to take anything that is hard and didn't fold up nicely to pack away or tote along easily in a beach bag or something. I definitely didn't mean to imply that you chose a bad item safety wise or otherwise. :( Sorry if you took it the wrong way. I'm just looking for something different in my circumstance.

I have researched (google) until my head hurts for hours on end and for months and just can't seem to come up with exactly what I'm looking for. Every time I think I've found something I'd like, I read a bad review, which puts me back at square one. :( I'm running out of time and figured this would be one of the best places to ask. (Although I did do an extensive research on here and I was still even more confused at answers and suggestions :eek: lol)

I will check the weight requirement on mine. I just didn't want to have to take anything that is hard and didn't fold up nicely to pack away or tote along easily in a beach bag or something. I definitely didn't mean to imply that you chose a bad item safety wise or otherwise. :( Sorry if you took it the wrong way. I'm just looking for something different in my circumstance.

I have researched (google) until my head hurts for hours on end and for months and just can't seem to come up with exactly what I'm looking for. Every time I think I've found something I'd like, I read a bad review, which puts me back at square one. :( I'm running out of time and figured this would be one of the best places to ask. (Although I did do an extensive research on here and I was still even more confused at answers and suggestions :eek: lol)

No offence taken. :) Someone posted recently about an inflatable booster seat. I'm not sure that it would work for you or not. I think that it was called Bubblebum or something along those lines. I hope that you find something that works for you. It really is frustrating!

About the bad reviews: I try to look at the whole picture with reviews. Some people will just complain no matter what. Come back after your trip and let us know what you ended up doing.

I know there are booster seats in the US that allow use at 30 lbs, and as a pp said the low back ones with belt positioners (it's a little piece of webbing with a plastic clip you use to hold the seatbelt over the shoulder) are much preferred to the boosters that are just a seat. You are right that a booster is just that, a booster. They are better described as seat belt positioners, as they move the child into the proper position of the seatbelt, which is lap portion over the pelvis and shoulder portion over the shoulder. Most smaller children have the shoulder portion cut into their neck, which can be fatal in a collision. The belt positioners help prevent this. The other issue with boosters and younger children is whether they can sit still to stay properly positioned in the seatbelt. With you planning to ride beside her, this is less of a risk than if you were driving, as you can focus solely on your child.

However, at least in Canada, seatbelts do not lock in a collision unless there is 40lbs of pressure against them. So your 35lb daughter could not use a 30lb booster in a Canadian vehicle. Knowing this, my dilemma has always been how do I know how heavy the child needs to be to engage the seatbelt in a collision in a vehicle from a different country? DS2 is also 3 yrs and 35-ish lbs, and I have opted against the booster option for this exact reason. However, I'm comfortable travelling with our full size car seat.

IMNSHO there's no easy answer for children this age. It becomes much easier once they are 4-5 yrs and over 40 lbs. And when they can sit still ;)

Keep in mind that any kind of soft "travel" car seat that folds up cannot be used on an airplane, it's not FAA approved unless it has a hard shell. IMO, 3 is young to be in an adult-sized plane seat with no restraint beyond a lap belt, for comfort as well as safety reasons. Just too easy for LO to slide down under the belt ("submarine") in the event of an accident/turbulence, or to have abdominal injuries. Also no comfy place to cocoon into for sleeping.

The Cosco Scenera and related Safety 1st convertible seats (including the Onside Air) are very lightweight (10 pounds or less) and highly portable.

I posted about the Bubblebum inflatable booster. I got them for my 4 and 6 year olds (who are still in harnessed seats here.) But we are doing a trip and cruise to Europe and needed boosters for both kids.

I'll report back how they work out but we don't go until August.

May I suggest asking this question in a car seat safety forum? There are many vests that are not approved (don't ask me why they can sell them as I have no idea!) and can be dangerous to use. Also, Dorell (sp?) who makes Cosco and Eddie Bauer products has a terrible recall history. I know they provide inexpensive products which is helpful to those on tight budgets, but I would never feel comfortable using one of their products because of their track record.

Traveling with little ones is so difficult in terms of transportation. Whichever decision you make will require a tradeoff: convenience or safety. I'm not judging - we all do what we think is best! Just throwing in a couple thoughts to ponder.

Good luck!

PS please don't buy a used car seat unless it's from someone you know and trust! Car seats do expire too!

I know there are booster seats in the US that allow use at 30 lbs

With you planning to ride beside her' date=' this is less of a risk than if you were driving, as you can focus solely on your child.

IMNSHO there's no easy answer for children this age. It becomes much easier once they are 4-5 yrs and over 40 lbs. And when they can sit still ;)[/quote']

I checked the booster we have from the car manufacturer and it states over 1 year old and over 30 pounds. It's still what I want to take. I would really much rather have something with a 5 point harness or something like that.

Yes, we will be beside her at all times (riding in cab, therefore back seat even if she wasn't with us.)

I can't wait until next year and she will be 4 1/2 when we go. Looking forward to the day it becomes easier. :p She doesn't have a problem with sitting still at all. She is very quiet and doesn't move when in the car. I don't think we'll have any problem with her on that issue.

Keep in mind that any kind of soft "travel" car seat that folds up cannot be used on an airplane, it's not FAA approved unless it has a hard shell. IMO, 3 is young to be in an adult-sized plane seat with no restraint beyond a lap belt, for comfort as well as safety reasons. Just too easy for LO to slide down under the belt ("submarine") in the event of an accident/turbulence, or to have abdominal injuries. Also no comfy place to cocoon into for sleeping.

At this point, we are just focusing on the cab ride. One worry at a time is all I can handle at the moment. ;) She won't be sleeping on the plane either. Once she's up, she's up. She's like me also, if she's not in a bed, she can't go to sleep. Plus our trip is only about 1 1/2 hrs tops, but we have some plane changes as well. I can guarantee sleeping won't be an issue.

I posted about the Bubblebum inflatable booster. I got them for my 4 and 6 year olds (who are still in harnessed seats here.) But we are doing a trip and cruise to Europe and needed boosters for both kids.

I'll report back how they work out but we don't go until August.

When I look that up (Bubblebum) I get conflicting ages for it. I'm reading 3-12 and 4 -12.

I'm not sure it's really what I'd want. It's just another booster (even though it would be better than carrying the hard booster we have). It looks like it's also a UK item.

Ok, I looked up the care airplane harness and found them on ebay for rent for only $13.99 versus buying one. I'm going to go with this for the plane. (Gosh that was so easy...why can't the car seat issue be this easy :confused::rolleyes:) hehe

When I look that up (Bubblebum) I get conflicting ages for it. I'm reading 3-12 and 4 -12.

I'm not sure it's really what I'd want. It's just another booster (even though it would be better than carrying the hard booster we have). It looks like it's also a UK item.

From what I learned talking to the Bubblebum contact...the product was first developed in the UK (Ireland maybe?) for use out there. Their car seat standards are a bit different than ours, and over there, kids need to be in a booster until the age of 12 (or 135cm tall). Kids there can also be in boosters at the age of 3 I believe, where as in the US it is 4 and 40 lbs (at least here in CA it is.) So I think that is where the confusion comes...for marketing in the US, they say 4 and 40lbs, but it is rated in the UK as OK for kids as young as 3 (I am paraphrasing the info, so don't quote me on the specifics.)

It fits our bill because we are doing a trip from CA, stopping FL, going to the UK for a wedding, then a cruise with shore excursions in the Med. Carrying around a booster for all of those car trips was becoming a bit daunting, and the price to add it on to a rental car was quite high. So for us, the Bubblebum was exactly what we needed. :)

From what I learned talking to the Bubblebum contact...the product was first developed in the UK (Ireland maybe?) for use out there. Their car seat standards are a bit different than ours, and over there, kids need to be in a booster until the age of 12 (or 135cm tall). Kids there can also be in boosters at the age of 3 I believe, where as in the US it is 4 and 40 lbs (at least here in CA it is.) So I think that is where the confusion comes...for marketing in the US, they say 4 and 40lbs, but it is rated in the UK as OK for kids as young as 3 (I am paraphrasing the info, so don't quote me on the specifics.)

Ok, that makes sense now. I couldn't figure out why I was getting different ages depending on where I was looking. So, that makes sense. :)

On another note...I just happened to look on craigslist in our area and found the CARES on it for $35. What does everything think about purchasing it for this price instead of the rental? Rental is $13.99 plus $6.00 to ship. Then I would have to send it back to the seller (probably another $6 for priority). So I would have invested around $26 or so versus buying it to use for every flight now and in the future for $35.

Does it just make more sense to purchase it instead?

Does anyone know what the ages/weight is for this item? I'm just wondering how long I'll be using it.

Ok, the person just responded back to me on craigslist...they just sold it darn it. There is another for $40. Still worth it?

Also, I just watched a video online on how to do the belt, it looks pretty easy, so that is good. But, it states you should use this until they are 40 pounds? My daughter is already 35, so is this going to be the only trip she will be able to use it on? I know by next year she will be over 40 pounds. :confused:

Ok, the person just responded back to me on craigslist...they just sold it darn it. There is another for $40. Still worth it?

Also, I just watched a video online on how to do the belt, it looks pretty easy, so that is good. But, it states you should use this until they are 40 pounds? My daughter is already 35, so is this going to be the only trip she will be able to use it on? I know by next year she will be over 40 pounds. :confused:

I checked the CARES website. They state that it is for kids 22-44 lbs. I have one (paid full price:() and love it. If you fly at least once or twice a year, it is worth it IMO. I have used ours several times now. It is much easier than installing a car seat on the plane.

My daughter has not gained as quickly as she did the first couple of years. Your DD may not reach 44 lbs for at least another year or two. My DD has only gained about 2 lbs since this time last year. The doctor says that she is 50% for height and weight and is following a normal pattern.

Despite the fact that many booster seats say they are rated for 30lbs and up, a 3 year old is too small and too immature to safely use a booster seat, especially a backless one. A belt positioning booster relies on the child staying in just the right position to do the job in a crash and 3 year olds just aren't capable of doing that.

We are cruising with our 6 year old and 3 year old in August. I pre-ordered the BubbleBum for my 6 yo and it came last week. He rides in a high back booster in both cars at home, but we'll use this only for travel and to have a spare seat in case of an emergency. I would NEVER put my 3 year old in it. Heck, she was still rear facing until a few months ago. The seat we use in dh's car for my 3 yo is the Combi Cocorro. It's small and lightweight and we will take it with us on this trip. I don't know that I'd necessarily invest in it for a 3 yo since it only has a 40lb weight limit, but we've had it since she was an infant.

I've thought about the Safety first Go Hybrid, but I'm not certain we'd find a cab with tethers in the ports we're visiting. In the case of the OP, though, I think it makes the most sense.

Alternatively, don't take a car seat at all, and offer the taxi driver an extra $10 tip if he never goes above 20 mph. Or go by bus. I'm sure for taxis to and from the airport, and for the plane ride, they'll be able to supply seats of their own.

Archived