Just back QM2 Fjords and Warerfalls

avalon1025

My 9th trip on QM2 and she continues to be a special ship. Food was very good as was the service. It so nice seeing familiar faces among the crew. I do think the ship needs her dry dock and is looking tired in some areas:

Cabins: the bedding should have been replaced when the new TV's were installed. The bed spreads are threadbare and filthy. I didn't want to even have it on my bed. Time to upgrade the bedding like other lines

Canyon Ranch Spa pool: mismatched tiles, mold on the ceiling (once pointed out it was painted over), sad for such a lovely space

Chart Room looked great, assuming as it was updated recently

Kings Court: piles of paper napkins having replaced linen look cheap and are not very green

The fjords were fascinating and Norway is an impressive place. The QM2 will remain my favorite ship and I had a great time, but it's time for some TLC for the flagship of the carnival brands

My 9th trip on QM2 and she continues to be a special ship. Food was very good as was the service. It so nice seeing familiar faces among the crew. I do think the ship needs her dry dock and is looking tired in some areas:

Cabins: the bedding should have been replaced when the new TV's were installed. The bed spreads are threadbare and filthy. I didn't want to even have it on my bed. Time to upgrade the bedding like other lines

Canyon Ranch Spa pool: mismatched tiles, mold on the ceiling (once pointed out it was painted over), sad for such a lovely space

Chart Room looked great, assuming as it was updated recently

Kings Court: piles of paper napkins having replaced linen look cheap and are not very green

The fjords were fascinating and Norway is an impressive place. The QM2 will remain my favorite ship and I had a great time, but it's time for some TLC for the flagship of the carnival brands

Pleased that you enjoyed your cruise. We will be onboard on July 1st for 5 nights:D

The Lido on the QV and QE have cutlery wrapped up in cotton napkins as well as piles of paper ones. Surely the QM2 still has both kinds too?

Avalon - do you have any idea why the two formal nights were changed to be on two consecutive nights? We thought it was a bit of a shame. We asked at the purser's desk and was told something about the welcome aboard cocktail parties for the people in the Grills having to be held on the Sunday night but surely they would have known that in advance?

The Lido on the QV and QE have cutlery wrapped up in cotton napkins as well as piles of paper ones. Surely the QM2 still has both kinds too?

Hi Ray. I'm not a frequent user of Kings Court, but I seem to remember last December that we were handed cutlery wrapped in a polyester napkin while on line for a hot lunch. (There might have been paper napkins, but I didn't see any in the short time I was there. Maybe they where hidding in the locker next to the wet towels :D)

I'll be onboard QM2 next week and I'll do my best to be more attentive to my surroundings when Himself drags me to Kings Court for at least one lunch :)

BTW, I was very much suprised at the quality of the freshly carved beef served at lunch in KC during that voyage - I thought it was quite good and I'm no fan of buffets and I don't eat much red meat, but I really enjoyed that lunch :)

Do you not know what they are?

Oh yes, thank you I do know what linen napkins are, I'm just a bit suprised that linen napkins would be used in a "Lido" or buffet. Frankly, I haven't seen linen napkins used in the main dining room on QM2.

Just to add: The linen napkins I own are costly and are difficult to maintain. Perhaps you are referring to a blend of some sort that is used on board? I doubt that 100% linen napkins would be suitable for commercial use, but I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Lodge - one thing I would say is regarding the Cunard trips. Don't know if you've booked any in advance, but there are quite a few that seem to be available shoreside at the ports at half the Cunard prices (as usual of course). We were very lucky with the weather last week but the trips we'd booked would have been pretty grim had it been raining. My recommendation is that unless you really want to do something, leave it until the day in port. The only exceptions I would say are things like the RIB and bike trips where the numbers seem limited. We stopped in Stavanger, Flam, Geiringer and Bergen.

We went on the ship trip on the Flam railway and enjoyed it very much. We met someone later that day who did it themselves and they had a bit of a job getting the first train because of the queue at the ticket office. Only just made it. Apparently, you can buy the tickets for the Flam train at the rail station in Stavanger. I gather you can also buy them on-line, so I hope that helps.

Archived