how much money your wife spends pre-cruise

jlm41

wife spends at least that preparing for a vacation.. she does not spend money on "gear" like clocks, fans, door hangers and such..

but she will buy a new clothes and shoes .. and you what...

she looks great, feels great! and I love it...

have fun!

With the exception of a new bathing suit cover-up, the clothes that I buy are clothes I will wear again in my "regular" everyday life. I do try to color coordinate separates and I have done laundry on board.

Our only recent splurge has been our own snorkeling equipment that we bought for our last cruise.

I am literally laughing out loud. Is he like this all the time or is just for traveling???:D

He's a little like this all the time, but traveling brings out the best/worst in him, depending on your point of view. The good news is, it doesn't seem to bother when we all sit around reading his briefings, with all of us laughing uproariously and making fun of the whole situation. Here's another quote: "Everyone will be pleasant to one another and to people met along the way. Everyone will be responsible citizens and will act accordingly....All farts will be acknowledged by the farter." The man definitely has a few screws loose!

He's a little like this all the time, but traveling brings out the best/worst in him, depending on your point of view. The good news is, it doesn't seem to bother when we all sit around reading his briefings, with all of us laughing uproariously and making fun of the whole situation. Here's another quote: "Everyone will be pleasant to one another and to people met along the way. Everyone will be responsible citizens and will act accordingly....All farts will be acknowledged by the farter." The man definitely has a few screws loose!

oh this just keeps getting better and better :)

I don't keep track of how much I spend pre-cruise because most of the items are purchased over a period of time, whether I have a cruise booked or not, I'll pick up things for future cruises which is usually 12-18 months apart. I keep a "meds/first aid bag" around the house for even weekend trips, and replenish it as I use it, so thats not a big expense, same thing for personal hygiene items. I have drawers full of power strips, etc. so we dont have to buy those. Happy Sailing!!!

Better not let my husband see this, or HE will start making spreadsheets. You should see his "travel briefings" that he makes for each trip we take. Here are some example quotes for an upcoming trip to L.A. for an anime expo: "All bags must be packed and sealed by 2100L...Note that departure is a critical item...We will be traveling in Red Car...Red Car's radio will be used by and controlled by the Driver in Charge (DIC) to maintain situational awareness and to gather road intelligence. Complaints to the DIC will not be tolerated....Any device emitting audible rap will be subject to summary ejection from the vehicle...Starbucks Targets of Opportunity (STOs) may be exploited...." This goes on for literally (no joke!) four pages for each and every journey we take!

Sounds like one of the stars of a rather funny comedy on CBS

Sometimes I feel like a saint remaining married to that man....OMG it's been 20 years this July! :rolleyes: Here's another quote for your entertainment: "Departure will be at 1500L and will proceed to San Jose where Jerald will board. The car will then proceed down US-101 to CA-156 where it will cross to I-5 at Los Banos. Casa De Fruita is a possible stop for dinner on the ingress....Drivers In Charge (DICs) will rotate in loosely defined manner based on driver fatigue....Andersen's Pea Soup is a possible stop on the egress...." Yes, he actually refers to "the car" rather than saying "we" and really uses the words ingress and egress. Who does that?

Bless his heart, he sounds like a real character. You could do a comedy routine with this - a stand up comedian would pay for this material!

I'm wondering how much time he spent in the military, and the farts????? Is it that essential to know who "dealt" it?

I'm wondering how much time he spent in the military, and the farts????? Is it that essential to know who "dealt" it?

He was never in the military. And I agree with you about the farts!

p.s. Libby is adorable!

I will probably spend no more than $100 - but I can't even say that's for the cruise, since we're going in November and the shorts I'm buying now, I'm wearing now. I did buy a Costco pack of sunscreen that cost me $15... but that's about it!

I will probably be one of those people that gets the sink-eye in the dining room because I'm not bringing an evening gown, and plan on rotating the same two dresses I already own for anything that needs me to be more dressed up than dressy shorts and a nice top. But honestly, if people care that I'm wearing the same outfit more than once, they have far too much time on their hands and need a better hobby!

I've backpacked around Europe, and have discovered that if I can bring everything I need for three weeks (doing laundry twice) in less than 40 lbs. in a backpack, I surely don't need to bring any more than that on a cruise.

That said, to each his/her own... as long as you don't ask me to help carry your bags! ;)

I think its pretty normal that your wife is spending money to get all of the small things u need for your cruise. Maybe it's just me but I don't think my husband really know the amount of time an effort it takes to plan, pack ect ...cause he just picks up the luggage and takes it to the truck after...I have bought ,packed it and planned out his clothing and

grooming needs, all the extras.

My husband says a happy wife a happy life! Enjoy your vacation! Don't sweat the small stuff!

I hate to admit it, but I spent a lot more than 1K on our first cruise. I bought two formals (still had formal nights on-board) and 7 other dresses to wear to dinner/lunch: I also had to purchase shoes for each outfit (morning, noon, & night), taking into consideration that I couldn't be seen wearing the same pair of shoes two days in a row :eek:

Wow, this is kind of embarrassing.....I also made a spreadsheet for my DH's clothes/shoes and bought enough clothes for him to change 3 times a day. Of course we brought his tuxedo and couple new suits for the other evenings.

I still go out and purchase a couple of new clothes/shoes, but nowhere near what I did then :D.

Let's all think back to our last cruise. Did we notice what other people were wearing? Well, maybe you did, but I surely didn't.:):)

Kathy

Well, since you asked, here's another: "US-101 and CA-99 are possible alternative routes in case of weather/traffic delays....the zoo-factor will have to be high for an alternative route to be considered." I asked him what the heck a "zoo-factor" is and he said he means how much of a zoo (i.e., how crowded) highway 5 is. Of course, we all knew he meant that, right?

Here's another: "Each non-dining stop is considered a "pit stop" where the goal is to stop as briefly as possible. On approach to a pit-stop, the DIC will assign jobs (e.g. remove trash, wash windows, check tires, etc.) to other occupants. These jobs must be accomplished prior to heading to the gift shop in search of biological relief, tasty snacks or irreplaceable souvenirs."

Tooo funny! (But I think I know him.)

Military? or lawyer?

Just curious: Do you ever travel with the same group twice? or do you have to keep finding new travel companions?:D

Just kidding. I'm sure he's a wonderful man.

Kathy

I will probably spend no more than $100 - but I can't even say that's for the cruise, since we're going in November and the shorts I'm buying now, I'm wearing now. I did buy a Costco pack of sunscreen that cost me $15... but that's about it!

I will probably be one of those people that gets the sink-eye in the dining room because I'm not bringing an evening gown, and plan on rotating the same two dresses I already own for anything that needs me to be more dressed up than dressy shorts and a nice top. But honestly, if people care that I'm wearing the same outfit more than once, they have far too much time on their hands and need a better hobby!

I've backpacked around Europe, and have discovered that if I can bring everything I need for three weeks (doing laundry twice) in less than 40 lbs. in a backpack, I surely don't need to bring any more than that on a cruise.

That said, to each his/her own... as long as you don't ask me to help carry your bags! ;)

See - that's my point. I suppose only the person wearing the clothes notices what he or she (usually she:)) is wearing. And the shoes??! Goodness me - I take sneakers and black heels. (I'm not a beach person.) I put a clean top on for dinner each night (over my long black slacks) and wear that outfit the next day. One formal outfit can be worn twice. Who cares??

In all of my cruising, I've seen only one person who looked particularly "put together," and I'll bet she didn't have nearly as much fun as I did.

But it's a very personal thing. I guess we all enjoy telling others how much better our plan is.:D Mine is best!!:D

Kathy

to each thier own...

I was kidding in an earlier post about not telling about a booked cruise to limit her spending.

She spends at least that amount on outfits /clothes.. and she enjoys it.

And when she is happy Im happy..

Sure it means a lot of luggage, but we don’t lug it . we did a euro vacation recently with another couple

We had 6 pcs of luggage , they had two and one was a back pack.. both had fun

When we got back we had 7 pcs… one of which was filled with new shoes

Live and let live

i have had that issue , not with flashlights, cords, fans and other "equipment"... but with clothesand shoes...

so after 26 yrs of marriage... simple solution... book a cruise... dont tell her till a 4 days before sailing... saves quite of bit of money for me...

she only gets to do 5 shopping trips ... not the 30 or so is she knew about it;)

Good Man!!:) Unfortunatley, booked my 1st cruise in Febuary for this july.....u figure how many days she has had to shop.....and she still has time:eek:

For our first cruise I spent around $400, but I honestly hadn't worn a dress in a while so I didn't have any that fit well (too big or too small), DH also needed something nice to wear on formal night, and we don't go to the beach much so we weren't stocked up on beach clothes/gear. Everything I bought was relatively cheap though- no $200 dresses for example. For our upcoming cruise I expect to spend around $150.

It was my son's first cruise, he was 2. So I got every remedy I thought I might need toddler & adult strength...

Laundry singles - we not only did laundry on our cruise, we did it twice! (I plan to do the same thing on the next cruise.)

We had an inside room so I got 3 flashlights...

We were able to drive to the port so I did not have any baggage fees to worry about...

Next thing you know I had a lot of stuff in a suit case under the bed that we did not use.

Our first port was Canaveral, we shipped toys, books, & clothes home!

Should I have done it differently, apparently, but will I do it differently, I doubt it.

"All bags must be packed and sealed by 2100L...Note that departure is a critical item...We will be traveling in Red Car...Red Car's radio will be used by and controlled by the Driver in Charge (DIC) to maintain situational awareness and to gather road intelligence. Complaints to the DIC will not be tolerated....Any device emitting audible rap will be subject to summary ejection from the vehicle...Starbucks Targets of Opportunity (STOs) may be exploited...."

This is hialrious, thanks for the laugh. (It really can be worse...)

Yes, he actually refers to "the car" rather than saying "we" and really uses the words ingress and egress. Who does that?

A teacher? Sounds like using SAT words so that the kids will learn them...

Or "Just your husband." :)

These jobs must be accomplished prior to heading to the gift shop in search of biological relief, tasty snacks or irreplaceable souvenirs."

If my dad were only this clever - or if only he did not have pit stops on the side of the road - yes ONE of those guys.:rolleyes:

Archived