Currency for Vietnam

Whitby Lass

What is the best currency to take when visiting Vietnam? Will people take American Dollars or other currency?

I understand that there are two types of Vietnamese Dong around and I am unsure as to whether to order Dong here to take with us or wait until we arrive in Vietnam.

Make sure that you have a lot of one dollar bills, you should be able to change the larger bills onj the ship. The change that you get from the vendors is usually in Dong which is worthless. When we were there, the largest bill we had was the five dollar bill. Most of the vendors will quote trinkets at one dollar.

What is the best currency to take when visiting Vietnam? Will people take American Dollars or other currency?

I understand that there are two types of Vietnamese Dong around and I am unsure as to whether to order Dong here to take with us or wait until we arrive in Vietnam.

I doubt you'll be able to get dong in the UK. As others have posted, USD is fine pretty-well anywhere you're likely to go, though always ask first (esp taxis in the city). You can probably exchange on the ship, probably with a money-changer brought on-board when you dock, certainly at a poor exchange rate. Or, for a much better rate exchange any currency incl GBP at the Post Office in Saigon - a beautiful building worth looking in anyway.

Do count the noughts on dong when paying for anything, it can be confusing and you could be ripped-off ten-fold. even hundred-fold. :eek:

For a short while you'll be a multi-millionaire :cool:

Only one type of dong that I know of. Unless they've re-valued in the last 18 months to get rid of some noughts (like french francs some years ago)

John Bull :)

• 2 weeks later...

We were there in March and USD is widely accepted everywhere. Get Dong at an ATM for the best exchange rate.

For a short while you'll be a multi-millionaire :cool:

Isn't that a neat feeling!!! First time using an ATM in Saigon many years ago (there weren't many then-HSBC was one of the few at the main bank downtown), choices were 1,000,000, 2,000,000 and 3,000,000. I thought-go for the gusto and hit 3. After the money came out, I stood there and wondered why in the h*** my bank allowed me to get so much money. Must be a computer glitch. Wahoo!!! Walking back to the EMS (shipping) office with my cash, it finally dawned on me that I only had $200 dollars.

• 2 weeks later...

Since you are the experts, I hope that you don't mind my last minute questions as my husband and I prepare for the Mekong Delta trip on AMA.

I have actually printed out your review, highlighted certain info in yellow and have pasted in my travel journal for reference--so, again, thank you. As far as money, I am following your advice about have ones and fives but did you also take travellers checks. I know that I have often used them on ocean and river cruises, if, the ship's front desk will cash them for me. Did you take traveller's checks and does AMA have the ability to cash them? Thanks, again.

• 2 weeks later...

Vietnamese LOVE USD. But we found that with Dong, you have better bargains and can get more for your money! Yes, I know it's cheap enough as it is, but 1USD to them is ALOT of money. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean you want to give money away. eg 1 t shirt was 1 USD (that was without bargaining!!), but we paid with dong and it worked out I got 2 tshirts for 1.50 USD. Every little helps. If you want to use USD only, try to get more for your money. Everything seems to be 1 USD - try to get 2 for it or 3 for 2 USD. Bargaining is part of the fun there.

Before you go to shop ( in the market ) stop by a Money Exchange Desk to learn the actual exchange rate of the day.

In the market you should ask the seller to apply the rate you just learnt.

In big markest like Ben Thanh market the price is best at state-owned stores. When you need to buy something from a private store:

- Don't show your interest in that item

- Don't fall in the soft trick given to you thru sweet words, massaging your back,...and then "rocketing-price" suggested.

- Pretend to go away after bargaining from 1/3 of the asking price. If they let you go, raise your bargaining price at the NEXT store.

Have fun !

Archived