power point socket

ozzicruiser

Princess ships - like most cruise ships on this planet - are built in Europe, where the standard operating voltage is 220v. Hardly surprising that the tools they use to build the ship, and the equipment they install on the ship are 220v as well.

Even less surprising is the fact that the operating voltage for most of the ship is 220v.

For the electrically challenged North Americans, they install step-down transformers in accommodations areas to allow the Americans to use their 110v machines onboard.

Most passenger cabins have a combination of European power points (220v) and American power points (110v). Most of the European power points are the two round pin variety.

Your cabin steward or the ship's front desk can loan you adaptors (not transformers) to attach your electrical plugs to the ship's power points, if needed.

when I was on the Diamond last year..it had japanese sockets as she was built in Japan, so that's why I was wondering what it may be on the Sun.

If the Sun has been converted to the Australian socket...that will be good for me.

We were just off the Sun and Dawn Princess - had to use the Australian plug adapter on the outlet by the TV and the outlets by the desk were US.

thanks, I have an adaptor for US, UK and Europe...I'll take all three

I think you mean power outlet (power point is a software application). As far as I know they are all US 3 prong outlets. If your country uses a different form, you will probably need an adapter.

I think a power port (or point?) is what we commonly call a receptacle or outlet in the US.

when I was on the Diamond last year..it had japanese sockets as she was built in Japan, so that's why I was wondering what it may be on the Sun.

If the Sun has been converted to the Australian socket...that will be good for me.

This ia a joke, right? The Diamond sails out of the US, why would they have Japanese power outlets?

This ia a joke, right? The Diamond sails out of the US, why would they have Japanese power outlets?

The Diamond sails out of Asia and Australia as well. Why would they have US power outlets!

We call them power points down here. :)

The Diamond sails out of Asia and Australia as well. Why would they have US power outlets!

We call them power points down here. :)

Dunno - it just seems strange that it would have Japanese power outlets just because it was built in Japan. The Saphire was also built in Japan, does it have Japanese power outlets? The Dawn and Sun were retrofitted because they were assigned to and sail strictly out of Australia. The Diamond is still a Princee US ship.

For those electrically challenged posters, Japanese power outlets are identical to US power outlets. They also carry the same voltage.

For those electrically challenged posters, Japanese power outlets are identical to US power outlets. They also carry the same voltage.

Thanks for the info. BTW - I do not appreciate the sarcastic insinuation that I am electrically challenged. I believe that sarcastic postings such as this are in violation of the posted rules and regulations of this site. You might be subject to reprimand however that works. I just have never been to Japan.

Also does anyone know what the voltage is in the staterooms on the Grand Princess?

If they are US outlets they are 120 volts! However, I could be wrong, although I have been on the Grand several times and used 120 V appliances. Of course, this was before the recent drydock - I don't know if they might have made any changes.

Please read post #4 for the correct answer.

The Dawn and Sun have been modified for the Australasian market and are fitted with the Aussie/NZ 3 pin power outlets at 220v. There is still a 2 pin 110v outlet in the bathroom.

(I have been on almost all of the Princess ships in the fleet with the exception of the Diamond, Caribbean and Saphire and have never seen any readily available 220 volt outlets. I have some posters post that there are some behind the bed but have not looked as they are not readily accessible for use.

I think the outlet in tthe bathroom for shaver use only might be a combination of 220/110 but not sure since I never use it.

Just for information and has nothing to do with the cabin outlets.

The ship's generators put out voltage of up to 6600 volts which is stepped down for various applications. The ship propulsion motors probably use the highest voltage. Things like the AC, elevators and large motor applications are probably using 480 volt three phase. Most other applications, other than your cabin, are probably 220 volt.

Archived