power point socket

ozzicruiser

If they are US outlets they are 120 volts! However, I could be wrong, although I have been on the Grand several times and used 120 V appliances. Of course, this was before the recent drydock - I don't know if they might have made any changes.

The socket for US/Japan look the same and carry 120V. If it doesn't look like a standard (for USians) socket, you won't be able to plug anything in without an adapter and you (likely) wouldn't want to anyway.

I say likely because many electronic devices can take both 120 and 220 (and in fact are actually to likely RUN on 220V anyway), but my suggestion is that if you aren't sure, don't risk it. If the plug doesn't fit in to the front of the socket, assume you need an adapter and a converter.

Most ships will have a few 220 V non-US-pinned sockets somewhere in the room. They will probably be the European 2-pin sockets, not the UK 3-prong-at-an-angle socket. I haven't sailed Princess, but I know there was at least one European socket under the desk on Royal because I used that for my laptop to free up the US-style sockets for devices that needed the lower voltage.

The socket for US/Japan look the same and carry 120V. If it doesn't look like a standard (for USians) socket, you won't be able to plug anything in without an adapter and you (likely) wouldn't want to anyway.

I say likely because many electronic devices can take both 120 and 220 (and in fact are actually to likely RUN on 220V anyway), but my suggestion is that if you aren't sure, don't risk it. If the plug doesn't fit in to the front of the socket, assume you need an adapter and a converter.

Most ships will have a few 220 V non-US-pinned sockets somewhere in the room. They will probably be the European 2-pin sockets, not the UK 3-prong-at-an-angle socket. I haven't sailed Princess, but I know there was at least one European socket under the desk on Royal because I used that for my laptop to free up the US-style sockets for devices that needed the lower voltage.

It was another poster that said the Japanese and US outlets are the same - not me. I wouldn't know since I have never been to Japan. I have been on the Royal once back in 1996 and did not bother to investigate under the desk since I am from the US and the US outlets were above the desk and readily seen and available.

As for laptops, cellphones and such most of them are 120 - 240, however, you will need a country adapter in order to plug them in to 220, just as you said.

Just another, if you have not sailed on Princess, what were you doing on the Royal?? Or have you just sailed on the Royal since it left the Princess group, in which case, they probably added the 220 for European sailings.

These are the power outlets fitted in the Dawn Princess and the Sun Princess. They are definitely 220v. There is only a single outlet in the cabin so it's advisable to take a small power board if you have camera's and laptop to charge.

As mentioned before, there is a shaver socket in the bathroom.

376383764_aus-nzpoweroutlet.jpg.6a2b3c15a2d57d5927a432d4d501f606.jpg

I'm from the Great White North (Canada) and up here we refer to them as plug ins and they are 110v AC. I'm certainly not an expert by a long shot, but I'm darn glad we have 110 as I have had the pleasure of having it run up my arm a few times when wiring our basement. 220v would have likely sent me into the next week, or worse. We use 220v only for clothes dryers and stoves in typical home wiring. I've always considered a power point as the outlet in an auto which delivers 12v DC which can be used with a proper adapter to power a variety of electronics. People from various parts of the world certainly do refer to things in different ways and what seems strange to some are just normal for others. Just my very limited knowledge (or lack thereof) of how stuff works.

It was another poster that said the Japanese and US outlets are the same - not me. I wouldn't know since I have never been to Japan. I have been on the Royal once back in 1996 and did not bother to investigate under the desk since I am from the US and the US outlets were above the desk and readily seen and available.

As for laptops, cellphones and such most of them are 120 - 240, however, you will need a country adapter in order to plug them in to 220, just as you said.

Just another, if you have not sailed on Princess, what were you doing on the Royal?? Or have you just sailed on the Royal since it left the Princess group, in which case, they probably added the 220 for European sailings.

That was my brain typing faster than my fingers. Caribbean is a key missing word in that sentence. I seem to fail at multi-tasking and posting lately. I should tell my boss to stop sending me emails when I'm doing important things. :o

I'm something of a geek and with 2 laptops, 2 phones, 2 e-readers, 2 digital cameras and the like in the room, I investigate outlets like crazy everywhere I travel (luxury of having a take-anywhere job is that I can travel a lot... the downside is that my job comes along... because I'm mission-critical as they say, I have to check messages once a day at least and can't leave the work and the laptops at home. Not at all complaining though. I'd rather work a few hours from wherever I'm at than not go at all!). I could travel with a power pad or a squid but I shove enough in my luggage and carryon that I usually don't worry about it and either charge things via usb (which takes forever) or crawl under the bed and plug things in.

This ia a joke, right? The Diamond sails out of the US, why would they have Japanese power outlets?

No it's not a joke why would I joke about this. The Japanese outlet is completely different to the US outlet, as all the US people had to ask the room attendant for an adaptor.

No it's not a joke why would I joke about this. The Japanese outlet is completely different to the US outlet, as all the US people had to ask the room attendant for an adaptor.

Odd, because that would mean that they're using the older ungrounded Japanese plug. That makes no sense at all from a design perspective because standard Japanese male-end plugs will fit just fine in to any US plug (grounded or ungrounded) and most US grounded male-end plugs will work just fine in any updated Japanese electrical system (and by updated I mean late 20th century, same time as we moved to the type A plug in the US as a construction standard). I would imagine that that level of inconvenience to that many passengers would have been noted in a review somewhere :confused: plus, that's an awful lot of adapters for Princess to pass out on a full sailing. I know that this ship is on a Pacific route, but I still can't imagine that Japanese travelers are anywhere near a majority on the average sailing and even if they were, most of the things they'd bring with them are the type A socket, unless someone's traveling with a 1950s vintage hair dryer.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2225.html has a picture of a Japanese male-end plug.

Odd, because that would mean that they're using the older ungrounded Japanese plug. That makes no sense at all from a design perspective because standard Japanese male-end plugs will fit just fine in to any US plug (grounded or ungrounded) and most US grounded male-end plugs will work just fine in any updated Japanese electrical system (and by updated I mean late 20th century, same time as we moved to the type A plug in the US as a construction standard). I would imagine that that level of inconvenience to that many passengers would have been noted in a review somewhere :confused: plus, that's an awful lot of adapters for Princess to pass out on a full sailing. I know that this ship is on a Pacific route, but I still can't imagine that Japanese travelers are anywhere near a majority on the average sailing and even if they were, most of the things they'd bring with them are the type A socket, unless someone's traveling with a 1950s vintage hair dryer.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2225.html has a picture of a Japanese male-end plug.

that's exactly the plug on the Diamond Princess and the Americans couldn't use their appliances without an adaptor

That picture looks like a standard ungrounded US plug which many US appliances still use. If you have a three prong grounded US device you would need an adapter which can be purchased at any hardware for abour 25 cents. I always carry one with me.

Archived