Art Galleries in Lahaina

mrboots

Does anyone know if the galleries in Lahaina are open on Sunday? We are on the POA which arrives at 8am Sun. We plan on renting a car and just messing around. Maui seems to have a lot of galleries. Are they open on Sun? Any recommendations? Somewhere on this trip would like to do a luau. Not much interested in the food really just the dances. Smiths is closed on Thurs., the day we will be in Kauia. Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks

Dont remember if the galleries were open wasnt really paying attention.

But I do know on Sunday @ the old Banyan tree in Lahaina they have an art n crafts fair.

The OLL is one of the better luaus on the Islands. Since we are doing road to Hana it doesnt fit in our schedule.

Smiths will be closed when we are there as well. So we will be doing probably doing Germaines on Oahu

My GF just got home from work and says the Art Galleries are open on Sundays on Front St. Lahaina

Also she said to make sure to do lunch @ Aloha mixed plate(it is good) If not doing the Luau on Maui

She has been there 7 times and her friend lived above Kimo's on Front St, So she has alot more knowledge of the area than I do;)

Galleries are definitely open. I always enjoy browsing in Lahaina Galleries (828 Front St - http://www.lahainagalleries.com/?GALLERY). Be sure to look for the work of Ronaldo Macedo and Al Furtado. btw - the visitor's center (in the building at the Banyan tree - http://www.visitlahaina.com/) has local art - and posters by Ronaldo Macedo as well as other artists. A nice option for local art and a great price. They also have books written by local writers - including a mystery series.

If you are just interested in the dances, you could consider the free hula show at The Cannery http://lahainacannery.com/hula_show.html Weekends are kids dancing. They are always very good. You won't get the elaborate dances of a luau - but you'll get a taste of several polynesian dances.

I'm going to disagree with the recommendation for Aloha Mixed Plate. We have been to Maui dozens of times. AMP was not good this past March. In fact, we were so disappointed that I will not return to AMP. I'd opt for either Kimo's or Lahaina Fish Company (just a few doors from each other on Front St.).

Enjoy your time in paradise!

I'm going to disagree with the recommendation for Aloha Mixed Plate. We have been to Maui dozens of times. AMP was not good this past March. In fact, we were so disappointed that I will not return to AMP. I'd opt for either Kimo's or Lahaina Fish Company (just a few doors from each other on Front St.).

What was wrong with AMP Ive always gotten good food there. The service isnt always the best or might have to wait for a table, but a great value, especially for lunch

Ive ate @ all 3 of those places and Kimo's was our favorite of the 3. I thought AMP was good. LFC is overpriced for what you get.

Now Its beeen a few years since we have been there, as our cruising has gotten in the way of our long weekend hops from SFO to Hawaii. So things might have changed.

What was wrong with AMP Ive always gotten good food there. The service isnt always the best or might have to wait for a table, but a great value, especially for lunch

Ive ate @ all 3 of those places and Kimo's was our favorite of the 3. I thought AMP was good. LFC is overpriced for what you get.

Now Its beeen a few years since we have been there, as our cruising has gotten in the way of our long weekend hops from SFO to Hawaii. So things might have changed.

The sometimes wait and the iffy service is a given with AMP, imo. So, that didn't bother me. Sitting there enjoying the view and the company was fine. But, the food was not fresh. Some of it was inedible (2 chicken dishes at our table - watched the other tables around us send it back as well, pork was okay but not moist like it had been...watched some of it go back, too). The worst part was the flies. OMG - I've never seen flies like that anywhere (including there in the past). I laughed when the lady behind us finally put a napkin full of food at the far end of her table in an effort to save us all the constant swatting we were having to do.

Just a miserable experience with a lot of uneaten food. (I was both surprised and disappointed!)

Archived