LA hotels and airport transportation

smurf1635

Where in L.A.? At the airport? Near the port of L.A. or Long Beach? I'm 99% certain you won't find any hotels there with free shuttles from/to LAX. It's a ways. Over 15 miles. Free shuttles for hotels right around LAX, yes, but to the ports, or downtown, Hollywood, etc., no. If you want an LAX hotel, you can get good deals through Hotwire, Priceline, etc., though in some cases (especially weekends) it can be almsot as cheap to book directly through thehotels and then you know where you'll be (we're looking at the Hilton, where we've stayed before, for an upcoming trip).

I see using an online TA for hotels precruise is pretty popular and most are getting good a price. What I need to know is, for that good price are any hotels providing transfers from LAX?

Thank you.

LA is REALLY BIG...

If you are cruising from San Pedro (which I assume since your signiture says "Golden Princess" in November) and what you want is just one noght near the port, then there are only two hotels I recommend...and bidding 3 stars on Priceline for Sanb Pedro should get you one of these two:

Crowne Plaza San Pedro or Doubletree San Pedro...

Both are nice...and both have free shuttles hotel to pier...

But it's 20 miles from LAX...none provide free shuttles...Call Supershuttle or PrimeTime shuttle and arrange transportation LAX tothe hotel...

As Fattony noted, only LAX area hotels have free shuttles to/from LAX...and then you are stuck near LAX (not desireable) and you'd need transportation to the pier anyway...

The other alternative is Princess usually offers a reasonable hotel/transfer package, the only drawback being you are at the Marriott LAX, I believe...and nothing to do/see/eat at nearby except the hotel restaurant...

I just bid on this and won it for $65 plus $17 tax..got the Crowne. However, I had to bid on three and a half star hotels to get them.

then there are only two hotels I recommend...and bidding 3 stars on Priceline for Sanb Pedro should get you one of these two:

Crowne Plaza San Pedro or Doubletree San Pedro...

Both are nice...and both have free shuttles hotel to pier...

But it's 20 miles from LAX...none provide free shuttles...Call Supershuttle or PrimeTime shuttle and arrange transportation LAX tothe hotel......

• 1 month later...
I just bid on this and won it for $65 plus $17 tax..got the Crowne. However, I had to bid on three and a half star hotels to get them.

Another benefit of CC "membership." :)

I never used Priceline, but just did so based on posts here. Got the $65 rate vs $144 as shown on the hotel website.

Thanks to all.

Where in L.A.? At the airport? Near the port of L.A. or Long Beach? I'm 99% certain you won't find any hotels there with free shuttles from/to LAX. It's a ways. Over 15 miles. Free shuttles for hotels right around LAX, yes, but to the ports, or downtown, Hollywood, etc., no. If you want an LAX hotel, you can get good deals through Hotwire, Priceline, etc., though in some cases (especially weekends) it can be almsot as cheap to book directly through thehotels and then you know where you'll be (we're looking at the Hilton, where we've stayed before, for an upcoming trip).

BW SouthBay has a cruise pkg with transfer to/from LGB or LAX terminals - between 120 and 202 (2 nights) or a park/cruise for 7days -

BW SouthBay has a cruise pkg with transfer to/from LGB or LAX terminals - between 120 and 202 (2 nights) or a park/cruise for 7days -

I did a search on Best Western South Bay and come up with a location in Lawndale. I'm not that familiar with that area, but I'm wondering if that is a good idea, location-wise. Maybe Bruin Steve or someone else who knows can let you know if you should continue looking.

One thing we locals say a lot (and mean): if the price is really low, it could be a dump of a hotel and/or in a really bad area.

I did a search on Best Western South Bay and come up with a location in Lawndale. I'm not that familiar with that area' date=' but I'm wondering if that is a good idea, location-wise. Maybe Bruin Steve or someone else who knows can let you know if you should continue looking.

One thing we locals say a lot (and mean): if the price is really low, it could be a dump of a hotel and/or in a really bad area.[/quote']

I would not recommend staying in Lawndale.:)

I wouldnt stay in lawndale either.

And from LAX to the hotel, why not Shuttle2LAX.com? It is cheaper than either Prime Time Shuttle or Super Shuttle and you'll end up on one of their vans anyway.

this hotel offers a pre/post shuttle and lodging -- i still can't find out why this is a bad choice.. for the price. Can anyone help me with that?

this hotel offers a pre/post shuttle and lodging -- i still can't find out why this is a bad choice.. for the price. Can anyone help me with that?

Trust us locals, there are many areas that you should not stay in or even drive through. Los Angeles is a patchwork of really ritzy areas and really awful, unsafe, gang-ridden areas. If you stay in the nice areas (and practice "safe touristing" just as you should anyway on the earth), you will probably have a fantastic time. We hope so as we want you to decide to return for another stay and see more of our interesting city/county.

Please read the various threads, especially any posts by Bruin Steve who can suggest some nice hotels in some nice areas. Don't try to save money unnecessarily as you may end up in an industrial area or a crummy hotel or one of those bad areas of town.

And just because you hear one area is nice, you could be a couple of miles away from someplace you shouldn't stay. I know that from living in Mar Vista and the edge of West Hollywood. I know that from my more substantial time living in the "Valley." In fact, I once was apartment hunting in the Valley when I wanted to return and when I said one street I was checking out, many co-workers warned me against the area. I listened, realizing when I drove around there, that they were right. Even now, I live within a couple of miles of multi-million dollar homes in one direction and a couple of miles away from a "videotape" zone (meaning that the police are keeping an eye out on this group of apartment buildings for drug buys).

I'm not saying this to scare you off from visiting here; again, we just want to make sure your visit will be enjoyable.

As for Lawndale, I'm not knowledgeable enough to advise you but I'm guessing if it's a really low price with a shuttle thrown in, it could be that they are desparate for paying guests. If you're coming in the day before your cruise, better to take the Supershuttle or execucar shuttle which has been recommended) from the airport to the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza in San Pedro. They will shuttle you over to the Port of LA the next day. If going on the Paradise or Splendor, you're leaving from the Port of Long Beach. Steve has a list of nice hotels in Long Beach (you can also stay in LB if going from the Port of LA, just make sure you tell your taxi driver to take you to the Port of LA and not the Port of LB). If staying more than one day, and you want to do some sightseeing, our locals here have some recs for hotels in the various areas. Just start a new thread and talk about what you want to do and see in LA on your pre-cruise stay and you'll get some advice.

I wouldnt stay in lawndale either.

And from LAX to the hotel, why not Shuttle2LAX.com? It is cheaper than either Prime Time Shuttle or Super Shuttle and you'll end up on one of their vans anyway.

Somebody has booked through this Shuttle2Lax website and posted on another thread that it's just a consolidator and not a shuttle service. So you don't get a choice as to shuttle service and they were given Prime Time (and if you search my posts on Western Destinations or read my blog that I posted in my siggy line, you'll find out why I'm advising against booking with Prime Time).

Archived