Going New To Old...

Hi everyone,

So my fiance and I are having a hard time deciding what cruise to take for June 2012. As you can see from my signature, we have been sticking to the newer class of ships. We just returned from sailing the Dream a second time & bought a FCC on board. We originally planned to sail Magic in June 2012, but to be honest, the ports aren't that great IMO. We would really like to do a Southern Caribbean cruise and Carnival Freedom will be doing 3 different routes in June 2012 that all seem great:

1. Grand Turk, Domincan Republic, Curaçao, & Aruba

2. Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Jamaica, Grand Cayman

3. St Thomas, Antigua, Tortola & Nassau

These are all 8 day cruises on Carnival Freedom. Now my biggest concern is going from a new ship to an older ship. Carnival Freedom would be cheaper to fly to, one extra day cruising and better ports. Carnival Magic will offer still new ports to us, just not ones we are thrilled about. It's also a brand new ship.

What to do?? :-/

Carnival Freedom isnt a older ship??

Its one of the newest... so I guess dont be worried.

Dream Carnival Breeze 2012

Dream Carnival Magic 2011

Dream Carnival Dream 2009

Splendor Carnival Splendor 2008

Conquest Carnival Freedom 2007

Conquest Carnival Liberty 2005

Conquest Carnival Valor 2004

Spirit Carnival Miracle 2004

Conquest Carnival Glory 2003

Conquest Carnival Conquest 2002

Spirit Carnival Legend 2002

Spirit Carnival Pride 2001

Triumph Carnival Victory 2000

Spirit Carnival Spirit 2000

Triumph Carnival Triumph 1999

Fantasy Carnival Paradise 1998

Fantasy Carnival Elation 1998

Destiny Carnival Destiny 1996

Fantasy Carnival Inspiration 1996

Fantasy Carnival Imagination 1995

Fantasy Carnival Fascination 1994

Fantasy Carnival Sensation 1993

Fantasy Carnival Ecstasy 1991

Fantasy Carnival Fantasy 1990

I haven't been on the Freedom, but I've been on the Pride and the Inspiration, which are different classes, but older ships. IMO, as long as you aren't expecting the layout to exactly match the ships you've already done, I don't think taking a cruise on an older ship is a bad thing. I barely noticed or cared that the ships were on the older side, and the cabins on most older ships have been renovated recently anyway. I would say you should read some reviews of the Freedom, especially do a forum search for "Freedom" and "pictures" and see for yourself what people have to say and what the ship looks like. That's what I do when I'm trying to decide on a ship.

Yes the Freedom came out in Nov 2007 so not an older ship say like the Fantasy or anything. You will love her! I vote for the Antigua & Tortola cruise! I am doing this on the Breeze in 2013. Or you can do Aruba & GT this year and go one the brand new ship in 2013 to do Antigua and Tortola. Either way, you will have a fantastic time.

Thanks everyone for all the responses. I knew Freedom wasn't an OLD ship, just older than Dream. We saw the Freedom docked in St Thomas last week and it looks almost as big as Dream. Maybe it will be nice to experience a different class of ships for a change since Dream & Magic are very similar.

Yes the Freedom came out in Nov 2007 so not an older ship say like the Fantasy or anything. You will love her! I vote for the Antigua & Tortola cruise! I am doing this on the Breeze in 2013. Or you can do Aruba & GT this year and go one the brand new ship in 2013 to do Antigua and Tortola. Either way, you will have a fantastic time.

Actually Nov. is when the Freedom debuted in the Caribbean. The Freedom debuted in March in Europe.

Thanks everyone for all the responses. I knew Freedom wasn't an OLD ship, just older than Dream. We saw the Freedom docked in St Thomas last week and it looks almost as big as Dream. Maybe it will be nice to experience a different class of ships for a change since Dream & Magic are very similar.

You can tell that there is a general difference between a ship that's a year old and one that's 12 years old. But between a ship that's a year old and one that's 4 years old, you won't even be able to tell.

My husband and I did the third itinerary a couple of years ago on Freedom, and really enjoyed it!

The main differences between Freedom and Magic are:

MAGIC: Red Frog Pub, Seaside Lanai BBQ, Cucina Del Captaino, 1000 more passengers, Beach layout for the main pool, open ended Adult Pool & Bar area, improved and expanded waterpark, outdoor fitness center, Cloud 9 Spa area (cabins and services), expanded Lido Buffet area.

FREEDOM: Stadium seating for the main pool, enclosed Adult Pool & Bar area, Fish & Chips Restaurant (no additional cost), Cloud 9 Spa area (services only).

If it was up to me, we'd do either of the first two itineraries in a heartbeat - new ports and not the same old same old (have done the Western Itineraries enough times that we're actually bored with it and looking to expand our horizons!

My husband and I did the third itinerary a couple of years ago on Freedom, and really enjoyed it!

The main differences between Freedom and Magic are:

MAGIC: Red Frog Pub, Seaside Lanai BBQ, Cucina Del Captaino, 1000 more passengers, Beach layout for the main pool, open ended Adult Pool & Bar area, improved and expanded waterpark, outdoor fitness center, Cloud 9 Spa area (cabins and services), expanded Lido Buffet area.

FREEDOM: Stadium seating for the main pool, enclosed Adult Pool & Bar area, Fish & Chips Restaurant (no additional cost), Cloud 9 Spa area (services only).

If it was up to me, we'd do either of the first two itineraries in a heartbeat - new ports and not the same old same old (have done the Western Itineraries enough times that we're actually bored with it and looking to expand our horizons!

Thanks so much for your input & opinions. It seems that Freedom does lack a few things we enjoyed on the Dream class, but Freedom offers more ports so I'm wondering that we will be too busy ashore to really miss anything. I'm gonna read more about Freedom and make my decision from there. Since I do cruise with my son who is a toddler, I don't really have time to enjoy Serenity or bars/pubs. Right now I'm leaning more towards Freedom because of the ports, cheaper airfare, longer cruise, and we are familiar with staying in Florida.

Been on Freedom twice and two great cruises. All 3 are excellent itineraries.

Toss a coin or go with cheapest.

Great to hear you enjoyed the Freedom as well. Out of the 3 routes, which is your favorite & why? All 3 routes/cruises on the Freedom are cheaper than Magic, so that's not an issue. I'm like 92% sure I'll choose Freedom - just have to decide on which route to take! :)

Looks like we sailed with you last year on the your Dream cruise 2010. We had a blast on the Dream too. In 2009, we sailed on the Freedom. We had a great time on that cruise as well. I think you would love her! We did the St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola and Nassau itinerary...I say go for it!!

I was just trying to get the information correct.

I did not say it debuted in Nov 2007. Like you said earlier, it came over hear to do Caribbean runs. Most people can't go over to Europe to do cruises. Had I said it debuted in Nov 2007, that would be incorrect info.

Archived