missing Gatun Lake shore excursions -- will they be offered on my sailing?

I'm going on the January 6-16, 2012 Zuiderdam partial Panama Canal sailing.:) Some shore excursions are posted in the shore excursion brochure for this specific itinerary. For Gatun Lake there are only seven (Fishing at Gatun Lake in the Panama Canal to Colon, Gatun Lake Eco Cruise & the Locks to Colon, Gatun Lake Safari to Colon, Miraflores Locks Observation Center to Colon, Panama Rail Standard Rail Car & Motor Coach to Colon, Panama Railway Dome Car & Motor Coach to Colon, The Shaping of Panama to Colon), and all of these are rated either easy or moderate. I was hoping to do something more active such as the Gatun Locks & Kayak in the Canal to Colon -- which appears when I use the "Find Shore Excursions" feature of the HAL web site without specifying a specific itinerary or sailing, or the Embera Indian village tour, which no longer appears at all.

Does anyone know if HAL is still offering the Embera Indian village tour? :confused: If they may offer the Panama Canal kayaking but just haven't posted it yet? :confused: If they are still offering these but not on my specific sailing? :confused: Is there some way to find out definitively? :confused: Or should I just wait until it gets closer to the actual sailing and see what shows up then? :confused:

I'm going on the January 6-16, 2012 Zuiderdam partial Panama Canal sailing.:) Some shore excursions are posted in the shore excursion brochure for this specific itinerary. For Gatun Lake there are only seven (Fishing at Gatun Lake in the Panama Canal to Colon, Gatun Lake Eco Cruise & the Locks to Colon, Gatun Lake Safari to Colon, Miraflores Locks Observation Center to Colon, Panama Rail Standard Rail Car & Motor Coach to Colon, Panama Railway Dome Car & Motor Coach to Colon, The Shaping of Panama to Colon), and all of these are rated either easy or moderate. I was hoping to do something more active such as the Gatun Locks & Kayak in the Canal to Colon -- which appears when I use the "Find Shore Excursions" feature of the HAL web site without specifying a specific itinerary or sailing, or the Embera Indian village tour, which no longer appears at all.

Does anyone know if HAL is still offering the Embera Indian village tour? :confused: If they may offer the Panama Canal kayaking but just haven't posted it yet? :confused: If they are still offering these but not on my specific sailing? :confused: Is there some way to find out definitively? :confused: Or should I just wait until it gets closer to the actual sailing and see what shows up then? :confused:

We were on the Zuiderdam in January of this year for the 10-day partial Panama Canal cruise, and there were just a few excursions listed six months in advance--about the same time you have left. There were many revisions to the excursion list, some with price changes. Each time I looked at the online list, something new was added.

We did the Panama Railway train to Panama City, which showed a much different view of Panama then that of Colon.

I'm going on the January 6-16, 2012 Zuiderdam partial Panama Canal sailing.:)

There is still a fair bit of time until your cruise. I have found that shore excursions are added as time goes by. Normally the list is not complete when they are first posted. I'd just keep checking. I'm pretty sure you will find more choices as time goes by.

We have also done your cruise.

There have never been a lot of excursions offered for that port. But the 2 that mentioned should show up in a couple of months. It is possible that HAL is still working with the vendors on setting up prices.

So hang in there and keep checking.

I, too, was looking for excursions on this cruise as I convinced a friend to try it. I told her about the Indians tour and it wasn't listed. I agree with KK that it is early yet and negotiations are involved with new contracts maybe because it is a new year. Hopefully this tour will appear because I think she will enjoy it but also the tribe needs the tourists.

Keep looking at the excursions because this is a popular excursion and one that you want to book immediately if it is offered. Don't wait until you are on the ship for something you really want to do. I loved the Panama Canal.

Archived