The SS United States Remembered

Saw the story on her just this morning on CBS Sunday Morning; quite a ship. they said that the current owner is trying to raise money to bring her back to life, though did not say who that was.

I'm interested in seeing the movie that was filmed on the ship now.

As of February her new owner is the SS United States Conservancy. A Philadelphia philantropist donated $2M to buy the ship from NCL's parent company and give her a stay of execution from the scrappers. The group is working with New York, Philadelphia, and Miami to develop a self-sustaining plan for her.

http://www.ssunitedstatesconservancy.org/

While her interiors underwent extensive asbestos removal, her power plant is intact.

Saw the story on her just this morning on CBS Sunday Morning; quite a ship.

It is sad that she is a national monument, an American achievement, but I supsect few American's have even heard of her. It's a crime to let her just rust away, but that's what has been happening.

She will never sail again, but hopefully something can be done.

(I've heard of her and I'm a Brit!)

Britian still has the Queens, and did convert the QE2 into a troop carrier for the Faulkland Islands war in 1982. The US however has no US-flagged seaworthy passenger ships. (Unless you count the "Pride of America" on the Hawaii run - a mostly German built ship that qualifies as American-built only by special exemption.)

One problem the SSUS has is that people under 60 cannot relate to the concept of transatlantic travel. Say that you're making a "transatlantic crossing" and their mental image is somwhere between Titanic and "The Love Boat".

As somebody who supports the preservation of the SSUS, I'm grateful that NCL owned her for a long as it did. Had NCL not purchased her from the Cantor estate she would have been scrapped in 2003.

Had NCL not purchased her from the Cantor estate she would have been scrapped in 2003.

Agreed, but it is a pity that NCL were not able to keep there promises.

We all know that Hotel/Museum ships are notoriously unprofitable. I fear that the preservation of the SS United States may just be a stay of execution. I do hope not.

The US however has no US-flagged seaworthy passenger ships. (Unless you count the "Pride of America" on the Hawaii run - a mostly German built ship that qualifies as American-built only by special exemption.)

At least two of the Alaska Marine Highway ships are "ocean certified."

Britian still has the Queens, and did convert the QE2 into a troop carrier for the Faulkland Islands war in 1982. The US however has no US-flagged seaworthy passenger ships. (Unless you count the "Pride of America" on the Hawaii run - a mostly German built ship that qualifies as American-built only by special exemption.)

One problem the SSUS has is that people under 60 cannot relate to the concept of transatlantic travel. Say that you're making a "transatlantic crossing" and their mental image is somwhere between Titanic and "The Love Boat".

As somebody who supports the preservation of the SSUS, I'm grateful that NCL owned her for a long as it did. Had NCL not purchased her from the Cantor estate she would have been scrapped in 2003.

Thomson Holidays' formal SS The Emerald can be reflagged as on since she was built in a US ship yard, at the time she was known as the SS Santa Rosa. She is currently laid up

Archived