Colosseum Tickets for RIL Rome Tour

katmich12

I will be with 7 others on a RIL tour in October. Has anyone purchased Colosseum tickets in Rome or prepurchased from a website? I have tried the site Jany suggested at ticketclic.it and a ticket request results in a message of NO EVENTS AVAILABLE FOR THIS SHOW. If I can't get this to work, I am inclined to wait and hope the lines are not too long. Any personal experience with this problem?

I will be with 7 others on a RIL tour in October. Has anyone purchased Colosseum tickets in Rome or prepurchased from a website? I have tried the site Jany suggested at ticketclic.it and a ticket request results in a message of NO EVENTS AVAILABLE FOR THIS SHOW. If I can't get this to work, I am inclined to wait and hope the lines are not too long. Any personal experience with this problem?

The problem you're having is because your date is too far out -- wait until closer to departure if you really do want to pre-book the tickets. You might try again after September 1st.

Have your driver take you to the Palatine ticket office, you can purchase the tickets there without a line (or a very short one).

I had heard that, but it's not always true. When we were there, the line at the Palatine was at least an hour long. We wound up buying a Roma Pass from a Tabacchi near the Colosseum, and that let us waltz past the long lines to the group entrance of the Colosseum.

The Roma Pass worked out for us, since we saw enough covered sites and used enough transportation to make it worthwhile.

It's certainly possible, especially as the day wears on. There is also a ticket office just off Via dei Fori Imperiali, but generally the best bet is to head to the Palatine office first thing in the morning when you arrive in Rome ... even in the height of the tourist season (July) I walked right up to the office at 9:30 or so in the morning.

I have sometimes seen school groups there, waiting to get in, that confuse the situation. There aren't waiting to purchase, but you wouldn't know that from the mass of kids blocking the way.

Yes, it's really best to get the tickets for the time slot that Jany advises... but the other poster is right, your date is too far out. If you want until 60 days or less (I think) you'll be able to pre-purchase the correct date and time you are wanting.

I think it would be best to contact Jany at RIL and let her advise youe because I have info that says you can purchase the Coliseum tickets 90 days before your tour and the Vatican 60 days prior.

Yes, it's really best to get the tickets for the time slot that Jany advises... but the other poster is right, your date is too far out. If you want until 60 days or less (I think) you'll be able to pre-purchase the correct date and time you are wanting.

That site charges a 1,50 euro mark up. Is the convenience worth it? There are four of us and this would be 6 euros or $9 difference. I just assume avoid lines.

The only thing it gets you is avoiding a line, which you generally can do anyway by going to the Palatine or Via Fori Imperiali ticket offcies first thing when you arrive in Rome.

I've come to realize that some people can't relax and enjoy their vacation unless every "i" is dotted and every "t" is crossed before they leave home, so if you fall into that group the extra fee may be well worth it.

The line can't be predicted on any given day. So, think of it as 'line insurance' and weigh for yourself whether it is worth a $9 'premium' to avoid standing in line on the lovely street in front of the Palatine entrance to the Forum. You can't go too far wrong with either decision.

One thing you probably have already realized is that running through Rome In A Day may be enjoyable (and a whole lot of other things) but even if like to have all your i's dotted and t's crossed, this may not be the most relaxing day of your vacation. I rather suspect your questions are meant to help you maximize your time as opposed to helping you 'relax.'

I'm also booked with RIL and used the site they suggested. The ticket office will not let you purchase your ticket until 30 days from the day you plan to visit. I needed tickets for July 19th and i was able to order around the 2nd week in June. Site was easy to use received my confirmation in my email and then printed my tickets. Should be able to get yours in Sept depending on when you need tickets for. Good Luck Tanya

I'm also booked with RIL and used the site they suggested. The ticket office will not let you purchase your ticket until 30 days from the day you plan to visit. I needed tickets for July 19th and i was able to order around the 2nd week in June. Site was easy to use received my confirmation in my email and then printed my tickets. Should be able to get yours in Sept depending on when you need tickets for. Good Luck Tanya

Thank you so much. I was hoping to hear from someone in the same situation. It is helpful to know that the site works and I am just too early. Did you have to put a specific entrance time or just any time on your date?

Lindy

We too are also with RIL in Sept. How did you know what time to purchase the tickets for or does it matter ? Just wondering how best to coordinate ticket purchases when with a group of 8 ?

The only thing it gets you is avoiding a line, which you generally can do anyway by going to the Palatine or Via Fori Imperiali ticket offcies first thing when you arrive in Rome.

I've come to realize that some people can't relax and enjoy their vacation unless every "i" is dotted and every "t" is crossed before they leave home, so if you fall into that group the extra fee may be well worth it.

We are doing a walking tour once we get to Rome (via train) and I am not sure if it begins at Palatine. I'll contact the operator of the walking tour.

Thank you so much. I was hoping to hear from someone in the same situation. It is helpful to know that the site works and I am just too early. Did you have to put a specific entrance time or just any time on your date?

Lindy

Yes u have to put in a specific time, Jany should tell you what time to put as you get closer to your sail date. I had to purchase mine for 2:30pm which is 14:30 on the site (Europe time)

We too are also with RIL in Sept. How did you know what time to purchase the tickets for or does it matter ? Just wondering how best to coordinate ticket purchases when with a group of 8 ?

Another site I tried did have a timed requirement. Since I couldn't access the site that RIL suggested, I don't know if that also has a timed ticket. I assume it does not. I also am with a group and do not know the others. I need to email them before I get any tickets so they can purchase their own on the site that was recommended. Can you do that?

Perhaps the confusion is over the different Colosseum tickets. The standard ticket is a two day, combo ticket that includes admission to the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill. This ticket does not have a time.

The other possibility is the new tour of the hypogeum, the underground area of the Colosseum. Tickets for this are sold seperately in addition to the regular entry ticket and there are limited places available.

I'm a cheapskate. And it would absolutely, 100% be worth 6 EUR to have tickets in advance. You do not want to have to buy tickets at the Colosseo. And buying tickets elsewhere could create wasted time/backtracking even if there isn't a line.

Another site I tried did have a timed requirement. Since I couldn't access the site that RIL suggested, I don't know if that also has a timed ticket. I assume it does not. I also am with a group and do not know the others. I need to email them before I get any tickets so they can purchase their own on the site that was recommended. Can you do that?

There are many places to arrange tickets to the Coliseum/Forum. But the official website that was asked about in the first post does not time the tickets for individual two-consecutive-day Coliseum/Forum admission. (Other types of entry tickets are timed.) This site allows pre-purchasing somewhere in the range of 60 days in advance; other sites allow you to arrange much further out and they may also ask you to specify a time.

But, if you've arranged a guide for the day, you probably want to consult them these kinds of questions. Managing the logistics of your day is, after all, part of what you are paying them to do.

I'm a cheapskate. And it would absolutely, 100% be worth 6 EUR to have tickets in advance. You do not want to have to buy tickets at the Colosseo. And buying tickets elsewhere could create wasted time/backtracking even if there isn't a line.

I'm with you!! Once we are spending a fortune on this trip the things that gain us time over money are not a big deal.

Thanks ....we have emails of the people on our tour and will contact Jany @ RIL to find out when we are scheduled for the Coliseum and I know we have arranged with her already for the Vatican at 1 pm.

We just returned from our Celebrity Equinox cruise. Prior to the start of our cruise we spent a few days in Rome. We scheduled a Rome city tour with RIL. I had not purchased our Colosseum tickets before our trip. The RIL driver asked if we had our tickets, we said no, so he stopped at a ticket office (I was so distracted, I am not sure where he stopped) and purchased our tickets for us. This did not even take five minutes. We paid for the tickets at the end of our RIL day.

We just returned from our Celebrity Equinox cruise. Prior to the start of our cruise we spent a few days in Rome. We scheduled a Rome city tour with RIL. I had not purchased our Colosseum tickets before our trip. The RIL driver asked if we had our tickets, we said no, so he stopped at a ticket office (I was so distracted, I am not sure where he stopped) and purchased our tickets for us. This did not even take five minutes. We paid for the tickets at the end of our RIL day.

Did you start your tour in Rome? We are at the port so that takes some time to get to Rome. I would prefer to pay when we get there but don't know if that is allowed. Anyone else get picked up at the port and prepurchase or bring Colosseum tickets with you? Your personal experience is appreciated!

We did start our tour in Rome, so did not have to deal with the port. You could always email Jany and ask her if it's a problem to stop and purchase tickets once you're there. We had no problems at all. Others may have different experiences.

Archived