Why are Disney cruises so costly compared to Nickelodeon?

MadisonMom65

Oh wait, I just read for the "free" dining it's $86 PER PERSON per day. OUCH! I thought it was per room.

:(

Yeah, welcome to WDW! ;)

The $69 per night is room only.

The $86 pp sounds more like a Disney price to get "free" dining. :p LOL. Yep, they make sure you pay for the room AND the tickets - THEN they give you the free dining.

Oh the joys of Disney! ;)

We just got back from our first ever cruise, and it was on board the Dream. It was more expensive than other lines, but actually not significantly so. We booked well in advance for the cheapest inside cabins, and one interesting thing I found is that disney charges a much higher price for 3d and 4th in a room that the other lines we looked at. The result was that it was only a few hundred dollars more to get two connecting cabins than to get one for four. Having the two cabins was awesome, and it was still much much less than we would have paid for a balcony cabin for four.

We picked the disney cruise mostly based on reading about the various youth programs, thinking it would be most commensurate with what we wanted. Also, the timing of the cruise was good for us, and a 5-day was a bit more appealing than a 7-day. The funny part is that we don't really like disney style entertainment very much. This was actually a great benefit. After dinner, while most of the people who ate at our dining time were at the shows (and everyone else was at their dinner), we had the run of the ship. Not standing in line for characters was a nice benefit and liberating.

I was pretty impressed with how top rate everything felt, but I have nothing to compare it to. Very clean. Very well organized. Exceptional crowd management. And zero nickle and diming with respect to food and beverages. The few things that cost money, including alcohol, was priced much more reasonably than I expected, and our final bill at check out was much less than I envisioned -- it was not exactly all inclusive but it was more so than I expected. If I were to do another cruise, I would much prefer to do one that goes places I haven't been and would like to see. But, that said, the disney private island is pretty awesome for families. As I said, I have nothing to compare to, but it's hard to imagine it could be beaten for a beach day.

Last, and maybe most signifcant, the disney Dream has something other cruise ships don't have: The aquaduck. I've got a water slide nut in my family and, silly as it sounds, that was a key component for us. After watching you tube videos of the slides on the epic and various carnival ships, I don't think there's a comparison. It is really an awesome ride.

All in all, it was an extremely relaxing trip, with plenty to do for the kids, on a pristine ship. The food was good not great. It was a bit regimented at times for my tastes. Without experiencing other ships, I can't make comparisons. I could be convinced that others might be better, but I would have a hard time believing they would be much better for a family cruise.

"Free" Dining at WDW is definitely not free. You end up paying quite a bit more for your room. Really, it's only worthwhile if you are BIG eaters, or if you really want to do a ton of sit down meals. Most people find that they break even or perhaps spend more than if you had booked without free dining and paid out of pocket.

We're spending a week at WDW prior to our cruise in August. We are using a timeshare week we already had ($140 to exchange) and we bought tickets through the Disney YES (Youth Education Service) Individual Enrollment program at a great discount. DS will take a class at Animal Kingdom on one of the mornings we are there and that entitled us to purchase what are essentially group tickets. Four 7 day park hoppers with Water Parks and More (usually around $1300) were $820 using the YES program. Since we don't really like to plan all of our meals in advance, this works really well for us. We have a couple of special character meals reserved, but we'll mostly do counter service. Breakfast is usually in the condo.

In terms of DCL, we decided it wasn't worth the premium for our first cruise, since it was going to cost more than 3x as much. We're using the difference to pay for the whole week at WDW. What Michele said about pampering kids on other lines makes a LOT of sense, honestly, and even on the DCL forum I've read some lukewarm opinions of the DCL kids program.

Last, and maybe most signifcant, the disney Dream has something other cruise ships don't have: The aquaduck. I've got a water slide nut in my family and, silly as it sounds, that was a key component for us. After watching you tube videos of the slides on the epic and various carnival ships, I don't think there's a comparison. It is really an awesome ride.

I had never heard (or seen) the Aquaduck and since you mentioned it, I had to look up some videos on youtube. I have to say, it looks pretty amazing. Hanging out over the edge of the ship and all clear...then you add the lights to it. WOW :eek: Now that's my kind of water ride! :D It seem like it lasted a very long time too! I just might have to check into this in a few years when my little one gets older and could enjoy it more. :)

Disney is having a sale right now. Kids sail free.

Kids Sail Free on Select Mexican Riviera Cruises

Kids age 17 and under sail free when traveling with 2 full-fare Guests in the same Oceanview or Verandah stateroom in categories 4A - 9D on most Mexican Riviera sailings from October 23 to December 18, 2011. Government Taxes and Fees not included. See important details.

Escape on the ultimate getaway to the Mexican Riviera! This region is synonymous with colorful cities, charming beach towns and pristine beaches, as well as endless water sports and recreation. It's also a bargain shopper's paradise. Combined with Disney Cruise Line's outstanding personal service, enchanting experiences and unmatched entertainment, these vibrant ports of call create the trip of a lifetime.

Act now—while this terrific offer lasts! Book online now, call (800) 951-3532 or contact your Travel Agent. Guests under 18 years of age must have their parent or guardian call this number. Be sure to indicate booking code "KFO" at time of booking.

"Free" Dining at WDW is definitely not free. You end up paying quite a bit more for your room. Really, it's only worthwhile if you are BIG eaters, or if you really want to do a ton of sit down meals. Most people find that they break even or perhaps spend more than if you had booked without free dining and paid out of pocket.

Yeah, the disney dining plan is definitely not for everyone. During the periods of time of the year that they offer the "free" dining, substantial discounts on room only reservations almost always can be had, so paying full rack rate to get the dining plan definitely renders some portion of the plan not free.

My bigger problem with the plan is that during a 7-day WDW stay, we are not that interested in 7 full table service meals. Plus, gratuities are not included, so paying 20 percent of the bill on a table service meal that I wouldn't ordinarily have even eaten as a sit down dinner is not for us. Particularly in free dining periods, you have to be very aggressive about planning ahead because the best reservations times for the best restaurants book way ahead of time. But more fundamentally, having a set meal time for a 1 hour sit down meal each day is inconsistent with how we tour the parks.

Also, other than the buffets, I don't like what the dining plan gives you -- none of the meals (except kids meals) include an appetizer. If you'd like maybe a salad and an appetizer, for example, the dining plan really won't help you. Both the table service and quick service meals include a dessert. Fourteen desserts in one week is too many even for me. The snack part of the plan is definitely nice. For a family of 4 for a 7-day vacation, you get 28 little things in the parks, like a bottle of water, or a mickey bar, or popcorn. That's probably about $150 value, and something I'd usually spend money on anyway.

For those who like the sit down meals, it can be an absolute boondoggle. If you plan ahead and eat at places like O'hana or like lots of character buffets, which are pretty expensive, you can make it work to save a lot of money. But if you're just doing those things because you're on the dining plan and otherwise wouldn't, then the notion of "free" can get lost in translation.

For those who like the sit down meals, it can be an absolute boondoggle. If you plan ahead and eat at places like O'hana or like lots of character buffets, which are pretty expensive, you can make it work to save a lot of money. But if you're just doing those things because you're on the dining plan and otherwise wouldn't, then the notion of "free" can get lost in translation.

Yep, that's us. I mark my calendar for the morning that is the 180th day IN ADVANCE of arrival and I call the 407-WDW-DINE line and I reserve every character sit down meal. I reserve breakfast and dinners. I make sure we are at one park in the morning and a different one at night. Which means we need hopper passes to make THAT work.

We need VIP dining passes before Fantasmic. And breakfast with Lilo and Stitch. I know Winnie the Pooh & Friends - Breakfast which will get us into Magic Kindgom EARLY before the park opens and we will be there for rope drop. :D

And of course, all of this is compared and matched up to the Extra Magic Hours for each park. AND - I have to make sure we travel during either Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party or Pirate & Princess Party so we can attend a party and get extra riding time when no one else (except for party goers) is allowed in the park.

Did I mention I am a LITTLE obsessive about it? :eek:;)

Did I mention I am a LITTLE obsessive about it? :eek:;)

LOL, we leave in 3 weeks and I still haven't figured out which parks we're visiting on which days - except I know we'll be at AK on Tuesday morning for the YES class that DS is taking. Work and this pregnancy are kicking my butt. Want to plan for me, lol??

Disney is having a sale right now. Kids sail free.

Kids Sail Free on Select Mexican Riviera Cruises

Kids age 17 and under sail free when traveling with 2 full-fare Guests in the same Oceanview or Verandah stateroom in categories 4A - 9D on most Mexican Riviera sailings from October 23 to December 18, 2011. Government Taxes and Fees not included. See important details.

Escape on the ultimate getaway to the Mexican Riviera! This region is synonymous with colorful cities, charming beach towns and pristine beaches, as well as endless water sports and recreation. It's also a bargain shopper's paradise. Combined with Disney Cruise Line's outstanding personal service, enchanting experiences and unmatched entertainment, these vibrant ports of call create the trip of a lifetime.

Act now—while this terrific offer lasts! Book online now, call (800) 951-3532 or contact your Travel Agent. Guests under 18 years of age must have their parent or guardian call this number. Be sure to indicate booking code "KFO" at time of booking.

Well, let's see. No Acapulco. No Puerto Vallarta....for now.

LOL, we leave in 3 weeks and I still haven't figured out which parks we're visiting on which days - except I know we'll be at AK on Tuesday morning for the YES class that DS is taking. Work and this pregnancy are kicking my butt. Want to plan for me, lol??

Oh honey, pregnancy and Disney in the Summer heat? I'll say a small prayer for you :p:D You are a saint for even attempting it! You don't need to run around and stick to a schedule. Just try to stay hydrated and leave the parks when it gets too hot.

When the kids were small -- we would do a Disney park in the morning - when the heat (and crowds) got to be too much in the late afternoon we would leave and go back to the hotel to swim - take naps - or just relax. Then we would return later after dinner when it was cooler and the crowds were less.

Take it easy! Worry about you and that baby! :D:D

Oh honey, pregnancy and Disney in the Summer heat? I'll say a small prayer for you :p:D You are a saint for even attempting it! You don't need to run around and stick to a schedule. Just try to stay hydrated and leave the parks when it gets too hot.

When the kids were small -- we would do a Disney park in the morning - when the heat (and crowds) got to be too much in the late afternoon we would leave and go back to the hotel to swim - take naps - or just relax. Then we would return later after dinner when it was cooler and the crowds were less.

Take it easy! Worry about you and that baby! :D:D

I know, I know. I wasn't pregnant when we planned the trip and I didn't really want to back out of it. If we had decided not to do WDW, we'd have wanted to change our cruise to a 7 day instead and by then prices had started going up. Believe it or not this will be my second trip to WDW while pregnant in the middle of the summer. We are just awesome planners that way! We planned a trip 7 years ago and I got pregnant a month later so I was 20 weeks or so that June. DH says that just the mention of WDW increases my fertility! We have Water Parks and More on our tickets so we do plan to spend some time at the water parks and we will definitely be doing the mid-afternoon swim breaks at the hotel!

Sorry - meant to say that Puerto Vallarta IS currently on the itinerary even though it may soon be dropped. Other cruise lines have dropped PV, but according to the VERY nice DCL rep I just spoke with, DCL is "monitoring" the situation in PV. She admitted that PV would be dropped, and this would most likely be a 7-night cruise from LA with two days in Cabo. You could get a better deal flying to Cabo from LA and staying at a nice AI for a week than booking this cruise! Nothing against Disney, but for a guy who supposedly loves kids and baby deer, he's made it very difficult for families to enjoy a Disney vacation! I grew up with Disney, and it's very sad that it's all about MONEY. I think Disney has overextended itself.

It really depends on your circumstances and what you want. We are a family of 5, so we are already limited in our choice of which resorts to stay in. But if we all stay in one room and the free dining is offered per room, it's a great deal for us because it includes 5 free dining plans, KWIM?

We are also "foodies" and enjoy eating in the nice restaurants, so it works out well for us to take advantage of free dining. We always book lots of character buffets and the more expensive sit-down restaurants, so we almost always come out ahead.

On the other side of the coin, the quick-service dining plan is not such a great deal and that is the one most offered with the value resort during "free dining" promotions. Personally I don't want to eat fast food the whole time and the numbers just don't work out. If you're staying in a value resort, you're probably better off doing the room discount and then either adding on the regular dining plan (which includes one sit-down credit per day) or just paying OOP for your dining.

That's the beauty of the Disney website, though, you can run the numbers either way and see which is the best deal for your family. If they are offering room discounts and free dining discounts simultaneously for your dates you can try booking either way and see which one turns out to be a better deal.

Having been on all the ships mentioned. I honestly believe the Disney ship Dream does seperate itself from the pack. No one else has basic outside and balcony rooms that accomodate families like they do. The Dream is much more lavish and rich, the dining experience is totally different. The character interaction is so great IMO going to one of the Disney parks (for character interaction) is a waste of time. If I were someone who wanted to go on Disney at a fair price I would book the first few weeks of February. The prices are very affordable then.

Now for NCL Epic Nickalodean wow...they do a great job with the daily kids shows and the breakfast is top notch as the characters actually perform. Toddler swimming area HUGE.

RCCL Oasis/ Allure-- Actually kind of disappointing from a character interaction standpoint...Yes they have a cool aqua theater show and some extremely crowded parades to view but the breakfast they offer is really really lame.

I would say for a toddler Disney Dream hands down (magic/wonder ok but they are no Dream).

For older kids (tweens) Epic hands down. Nickalodean shows/multiple water slides.

Teenagers- RCCL Allure/ Oasis hands down. Ice rink, boardwalk, flowriders. Huge sports deck.

Reading this thread makes me so happy that I can go to Disney for a day trip and not worry about all this. We used to go much more, but now we usually just go for the special events partys, Mickeys Very Merry Christmas is the overall favorite. The tickets say it starts at 7pm, but really they will let you in at 3. I would love to try a Disney cruise, but I really hate there ports, and the cost is insane. We were parked next to the Dream in Nassau and after a full day at Atlantis, we just layed in bed and watched people on the aquaduck (it looks very very cool). If your planning Disney dining a very overlooked experience is the luao at the Polynesian Resort. My sister had her wedding rehersal dinner there at it was amazing.

I would love to try a Disney cruise, but I really hate there ports, and the cost is insane.

You hate Disneys private island of which you have not been to? I can understand Nassau but the Disney island is in a class of its own. As far as price goes.. if you go in February or the first couple weeks of December the prices are a third of what they are any other time of year.

For us, it comes down to how special my kids are treated. On Disney, they were 2 of a 1,000 kids. So I have to say, I just didn't see the doting that we are accustomed to on the other cruise lines. So you can pay Disney prices. You can dance around with the mouse. But I want my children pampered. And they just weren't that special on their Disney cruises.

I so agree with you on that point. I want a cruiseline to treat my daughter like a Princess, not be just one of the 1000 other little Princesses onboard;).

Honestly, I wouldn't mind taking a cruise with the mouse just once but I just don't see it in the cards for us (it would mean I'd have to book now and cruise in 2018 to afford it - I'd rather take a cruise every year instead:D)

We're on the Epic in a few months (finally!!!) and I know my daughter is looking forward to seeing some of the Nick characters. Why don't you book with us Cruisinmama - still some cabins available!!

We're on the Epic in a few months (finally!!!) and I know my daughter is looking forward to seeing some of the Nick characters. Why don't you book with us Cruisinmama - still some cabins available!!

Because if I take the kids out twice during the school year the school will have my head. :eek::D But thank you for your kind offer! Have a great cruise! And PLEASE come back and post a review back here on the family board so we can read all about it!

I am thinking Fall of 2012 is our time for EPIC. And it's just spaced out enough not to annoy the school. :D (who does allow for 7 days of family vacation time during each school year, but not 14 ;))

Because if I take the kids out twice during the school year the school will have my head. :eek::D But thank you for your kind offer! Have a great cruise! And PLEASE come back and post a review back here on the family board so we can read all about it!

I am thinking Fall of 2012 is our time for EPIC. And it's just spaced out enough not to annoy the school. :D (who does allow for 7 days of family vacation time during each school year, but not 14 ;))

Well, we certainly don't want any truancy officers knocking on your door. I will post a review upon my return then to tide you over.

Do you need/want any of the kid's info from the ship? I know I'm still month away but if you want it, I'll most likely have it anyway to share.

Re: the WDW Eat Free, we've only been to WDW when DH has had a conference there. The last one in Nov 2009, was at the Swan/Dolphin and we booked there. But I was thinking maybe I should have a booked a nearby Disney hotel as they had eat for free promo on. My parents booked at Pop Century at the same time and they had the free value meal plan with the counter service meals. They had so much food that they treated us to some of the meals and snacks in the theme parks. I can't imagine how much the other plan has. And my kiddos are 8 and 11 so by the time we get back both will be adults as far as Disney is concerned.

I really haven't been looking into Disney cruises, maybe if they have a good sale on, I'd consider it. But I'm wondering how older kids like it. We are going on our first cruise next year on Carnival. DD will be in grade 6 so I'm thinking after next year we will be limited on when when she can miss school.

Re: the WDW Eat Free, we've only been to WDW when DH has had a conference there. The last one in Nov 2009, was at the Swan/Dolphin and we booked there. But I was thinking maybe I should have a booked a nearby Disney hotel as they had eat for free promo on. My parents booked at Pop Century at the same time and they had the free value meal plan with the counter service meals. They had so much food that they treated us to some of the meals and snacks in the theme parks. I can't imagine how much the other plan has. And my kiddos are 8 and 11 so by the time we get back both will be adults as far as Disney is concerned.

I really haven't been looking into Disney cruises, maybe if they have a good sale on, I'd consider it. But I'm wondering how older kids like it. We are going on our first cruise next year on Carnival. DD will be in grade 6 so I'm thinking after next year we will be limited on when when she can miss school.

The food in the park is horrible IMO. It needs to be free. The food on the ship however is excellent. Whatever you do, please do not go on Carnival and confuse it with a Disney cruise as it is apples and oranges.

The food in the park is horrible IMO. It needs to be free.

Which park? What food?

Epcot has several excellent resturants. The Brown Derby at Hollywood Studios is excellent. There are even some very good resturants in the Magic Kingdom.

Sure some food is basically state fair quality but such a absolute blanket statement is simply wrong. Unless your palate is so great that nothing but haute cuisine is edible ;)

Disney offers an Epcot after 4PM yearly pass so that locals can go to the park late, usually for eating.

Which park? What food?

Epcot has several excellent resturants. The Brown Derby at Hollywood Studios is excellent. There are even some very good resturants in the Magic Kingdom.

Sure some food is basically state fair quality but such a absolute blanket statement is simply wrong. Unless your palate is so great that nothing but haute cuisine is edible ;)

Disney offers an Epcot after 4PM yearly pass so that locals can go to the park late, usually for eating.

I was referring to the Magic Kingdom park and package I believe the poster was referring to. The free food offer is as you say state fair quality. I was following the thread.

Sorry I was not specific enough for you.

Archived