NCL Goes Down a few notches in my book!!

dongordon

I requested that my travel agent make a special request to book a reservation for me in advance for Le Bistro (my wife's favorite restaurant) on the day of sailing since it is our 40th Anniversary (that day!) and I did not want to spend our special day waiting an hour on line. I am surprising her with the cruise and she will not know about it until we arrive at the dock.

Only the EPIC has advanced reservations for the specialty restaurants.

Even being a Lattitues member doen't count!

Kind of disappointed in NCL since it is my favorite cruise line!

I wonder if other cruise lines bend the rules for special events. Probably not....it is still a business.

Since this is a special occasion for you, are you in a suite? If so your concierage can book Lebistro for you.

If not I would suggest going to the reservation desk when you first board. I find most people go to lunch, the pool deck, or find a drink:D and don't worry about dinner so your wait to reserve should be minimal.

Since this is a special occasion for you, are you in a suite? If so your concierage can book Lebistro for you.

If not I would suggest going to the reservation desk when you first board. I find most people go to lunch, the pool deck, or find a drink:D and don't worry about dinner so your wait to reserve should be minimal.

Thanks for the suggestion....we do the same...having a sail away cocktail and lunch in the dining room when we board. I wanted to surprise her with the dinner that night, since we usually go to the MDR. She would certainly suspect something if I immediately headed for the reservation desk.

I have requested that my TA try and get the hotel director's e-mail as sparks suggested.

Knowing how accomodating the officers are on the M&G, I am sure this will work.

Thanks again.....I might have to do as you suggested if the hotel director does not come through for me.

Don

I can totally relate. Because i went to an AI for my 50th birthday week and upon check-in was told the fancy restaurant was full on my BD. I had to go up the chain but got it. I would have been disappointed too if i had missed the chance.

But, i have never been able to prebook on any of the lines ive sailed, even in a suite on NCL. We have always been able to get a table even on the first night. What time are you planning to board? Do try to board early and make that your first priority. I am sure it will work out.

I requested that my travel agent make a special request to book a reservation for me in advance for Le Bistro (my wife's favorite restaurant) on the day of sailing since it is our 40th Anniversary (that day!) and I did not want to spend our special day waiting an hour on line. I am surprising her with the cruise and she will not know about it until we arrive at the dock.

I wonder if other cruise lines bend the rules for special events. Probably not....it is still a business.

On our NCL cruise on the Dawn, our wedding anniversary was also on the first night of the sailing. I was able to get a reservation for Le Bistro right in the cruise terminal before boarding the ship.

If you want it to be a surprise, you can just 'stretch your legs' while waiting to board and wander off to the restaurants table, looking at the menu samples, etc.

Don't fret. They are a business but while there are restrictions, there will be ample ways to fix. You are doing a ton of pre work to keep something like this a secret up to showing up at the dock (not sure how you are doing the packing -that's impressive). With a tiny bit of work once on board it will be a snap. First, you did not say if you were in a suite. If so, the concierge will be meeting you at registration. You will get his/her phone number at that time. At some point, you can sneak away for a moment (the bathroom?) and leave a message. If you are not, phones are thoughout the ship and reservations can be made from any house phone. You should have no problems getting a reservation on departure day for LeBistro (also our favorite) and don't tell her you saved 20% on the meal on their day of departure special.

I am surprising her with the cruise and she will not know about it until we arrive at the dock.

You are doing a ton of pre work to keep something like this a secret up to showing up at the dock (not sure how you are doing the packing -that's impressive).

:eek: Wow, this is impressive as Hockey ssaid that's an awful lot of pre-lanning to et this accomplished. I hope she is not like me... while I think it is wonderfully romantic and grateful I would really not like it if I had no idea I was going away for a week without any input to my clothes and things that I would need/want to have with me. Or have you told her you are taking her on vacation but just not telling her where? If that is the case I would probably love it!:D But quite truthfully if DH did this I would bug the *stuffing* out of him until he told me.;):D

Don't fret. They are a business but while there are restrictions, there will be ample ways to fix. You are doing a ton of pre work to keep something like this a secret up to showing up at the dock (not sure how you are doing the packing -that's impressive). With a tiny bit of work once on board it will be a snap. First, you did not say if you were in a suite. If so, the concierge will be meeting you at registration. You will get his/her phone number at that time. At some point, you can sneak away for a moment (the bathroom?) and leave a message. If you are not, phones are thoughout the ship and reservations can be made from any house phone. You should have no problems getting a reservation on departure day for LeBistro (also our favorite) and don't tell her you saved 20% on the meal on their day of departure special.

No, Unfortunately, we are not in a suite...could not afford it since we are also going on a cruise in January. I wanted this to be a complete surprise and she would never expect two cruises within the year. My daughter will assisting with the packing for my wife and she is telling her we are going to the Jersey shore and Atlantic City for our anniversary. I know my wife loves NCL and Bermuda (and I do as well)....should be great. I suspect when our car service goes into Manhattan, she will suspect something since that is not the usual route we take to go to Jersey!

I like the phone idea and I will certainly contact the hotel director as well via e-mail.

My TA is getting that info for me.

Thanks everyone for all your responses and suggestions....greatly appreciated!

Don

Frist off, if you make the reservation as soon as you get on the ship you should have no problems. We have done this many times for as few as two of us and 13 last cruise. We had no problems. And as for other lines, some do take reservations prior to boarding, some do not. Celebrity is one that does allow it, but everytime you try and make one prior to sailing unless you want to eat at 9:30 they say they are booked up. Remember, most of the other lines only have a couple sprecialty dining rooms.

Nita

Frist off, if you make the reservation as soon as you get on the ship you should have no problems. We have done this many times for as few as two of us and 13 last cruise. We had no problems. And as for other lines, some do take reservations prior to boarding, some do not. Celebrity is one that does allow it, but everytime you try and make one prior to sailing unless you want to eat at 9:30 they say they are booked up. Remember, most of the other lines only have a couple sprecialty dining rooms.

Nita

Nita, I agree. I booked as a Captain's Club member on elebrity for a very sought after night of my cruise. Thank God i ate in the specialty restaurant on another evening and I mentioned I'd be back . the Maitre 'd checked my reservation and it wasn't even there despite the fact that I had an e-mail confimation.... Bottom line is even of you could book in advance you still should be checking it upon embarkation..... Thankfully the first night is the least busy on the specialty restaurants so OP should be fine.....

If all else fails, and you don't want her to see you making the reservation upon boarding, check with your ships roll call. Maybe you could have someone on your sailing make the reservation for you. I certainly would, if we were sailing at the same time. Good Luck and enjoy your 40th!!

I do hope that plans work out for you and your wife. Congrats on 40 years. We celebrate 20 years while we are on the Gem in August. We also celebrate my wife's birthday every August when we cruise.

It is tradition for my family to have our first meal at LeBistro the first night. This will be our 9th NCL cruise and we have never had a problem getting a reservation. This will also be my plan on August 7th on the Gem and February 19th on the Star.

Congrats again and best wishes.

My sister and BIL have been married 23 years. Early in their marriage he whisked her off on a surprise beach vaca. He packed her bag. Notably, he packed no shoes but 20 or so pairs of socks. Socks? He got a dress out of the closet. It was actually a vintqge dress our grandmother had made as a young designer in Hollywood. It did not fit sis. So, sis ended up getting to do some shopping on that trip!

You were smart, OP. Bet my BIL wishes he would have enlisted my help in the packing.

Have a great trip!

A few years back both HAL and CCL started with one ship each taking reservations online and now it is done fleetwide for the specialty restaurants....They had many bugs to iron out when that first started....

The Epic could be a start for that happening with NCL....Even if they only do it for their two most popular restaurants on all ships...;)

If all else fails, and you don't want her to see you making the reservation upon boarding, check with your ships roll call. Maybe you could have someone on your sailing make the reservation for you. I certainly would, if we were sailing at the same time. Good Luck and enjoy your 40th!!

This is an excellent idea!

Last year we were surprising our teen with a New Year's Eve Cruise for Christmas. I sent an email to the NCL Customer Relations Dept. to ascertain whether I could buy a t-shirt or something with the ship logo ahead of time so my son could open it up Christmas morning with the e-docs. At first response I received the old I am sorry we could not assist you type email. Then I wrote another email advising that I was disappointed in the response and I was seeking additional assistance. To my surprise, NCL sent a NCL Gem Baseball Cap and Travel Bag to me within a week with a very nice letter. These apparently were leftover giveaways from when the Gem was introduced into the fleet. That being said, I would definately reach out to someome in Customer Relations and be nice, however, persistent with your request. After all, your request is not at all improper. Best of Luck!

With our electronic society it seems like a great idea to offer pre-booking. They do it for excursions, specialty dining seems a logical idea. I'd like to see them have half (or so) available for pre-booking and half held for booking on the ship. That way those that book late would not be dissapointed that it was unavailable and that would lend availability for suite guests.

When i sailed Carnival in March I was able to correspond with the Maitre D by EMail for my advance registration to the "Chef's Table". They confirmed by EMail which I printed and put with my EDocs. It really made this convenient and stress free. Likewise, i can see a need for the OP and others with specific and celebratory situations where an advance confirmation could be a comfort before sailing. NCL, are you listening?

Dear dongordon,

We'll be happy to make a reservation for you. Please email us at publicrelations@ncl.com with the details and we will set it up for you.

We are in the process of rolling out a fleetwide dining booking and reservation system that will enable guests to pre-purchase specialty dining. Please stay tuned for more information in the near future.

Best,

Norwegian Cruise Line Public Relations

Dear dongordon,

We'll be happy to make a reservation for you. Please email us at publicrelations@ncl.com with the details and we will set it up for you.

We are in the process of rolling out a fleetwide dining booking and reservation system that will enable guests to pre-purchase specialty dining. Please stay tuned for more information in the near future.

Best,

keeping this email since we will be having my DD birthday while we cruise

i want to give her the best day ever :)

Thanks NCL :)

Dear dongordon,

Best,

Somethings just are too easy- nice job NCL.

2128886834_ThatwasEasy.jpg.2476a1ce3ae323432dc2eff4146a3a46.jpg

Archived