Cell Phones and iPods?

lmreddin

Wondering if there is any point in bringing my iPod along. My understanding is that it would work on the ship, but that the fee for using it would be outrageious.

Also wondering about cell phones working onboard?

3 ipods

1 laptop, maybe 2

1 ipad

2 cells

possibly a kindle

are all coming along with us

try and go away for vacation, yet technology has to come with us

and we are not getting any minutes to use the wifi...

and yet we still have to bring it all...

unless i can get the hubs to get all his comics on the ipad before we go, if not the laptop will be holding the ones to transfer at his leisure.

If you have an IPod with wi-fi and you try to connect to the internet via the ships wi-fi, it won't work until you buy a plan from NCL. Some ports have free wi-fi in the terminal or nearby.

While on the ship, you can use the WIFI to connect to the internet. It will cost $.40 to $.75 per minute for a slow connection. Same price for wired, wireless, your computer, their computer, ipad, cell phone, etc.

No plans count.

Phone calls are $2.49 per minute.

To just use an IPOD to listed to your music, it will cost nothing. To connect to the internet, see above.

Thank you. That's what I thought. Also, I am going to Bermuda, and it is my understanding that there is no free wi-fi there.

If you have an IPod with wi-fi and you try to connect to the internet via the ships wi-fi, it won't work until you buy a plan from NCL. Some ports have free wi-fi in the terminal or nearby.

Basically not worth it, I guess.

Not worth...?

I thought most people with an IPOD just used it to listen to music - not connect to the internet. Color me confused?

As to finding free WIFI - probably somewhere, but hard to find.

You can use your ipod to listen to music or view previously downloaded content for free. If you want to access wifi, there will be a fee. Rates on the ship for wifi is .50-.85 minute, and most people complain about the speed.

For cellphones, you may make calls at sea for $2.49 minute. Check with your cell carrier for pricing of minute charges while in Bermuda. If you have a smartphone, make sure you turn off all cellular data roaming, and disconnect any push notifications for email, etc. BEFORE you leave port. Also check with your cell carrier to see what texts, video and picture message charges are at sea and in Bermuda.

A tip for finding free wifi, watch for concentration of crew employees sitting in parks or in front of stores/restaurants. They know where any free wifi is in each port.

If you take a smart phone and do nothing about turning off features, you will possibly incur substantial data international roaming fees.

Not worth...?

I thought most people with an IPOD just used it to listen to music - not connect to the internet. Color me confused?

As to finding free WIFI - probably somewhere, but hard to find.

an ipod touch has wifi

i use that around the house and in hot spots...

An iPod is almost like a small computer. Surprising how much you can do with them.

I Agree! For several years, I had a regular iPod. Last year, I was given an iPod Touch as a gift. Until I had it, I never knew how much I would use it, including as related to cruising.

At home, it is my iPod Touch that I use 95% of the time to access Cruise Critic (including now); plus, I have the Ship Mate app loaded, which is good for making lists, viewing the deck cam, etc.

On our last cruise, I used my iPod Touch for music, but also to watch television shows and movies I had downloaded, play games, and take notes (it was great to have while relaxing in a lounger by the pool and sitting on our balcony), as well as for an alarm clock. On the cruise, I did not use it for an Internet connection, but with lots of other uses and its small size, it is definitely on my 'to-bring' list.

An iPod is almost like a small computer. Surprising how much you can do with them.

Ah, I am thinking about the "traditional" Ipod that is pretty much for music. The newer Ipod Touch is like a iphone, but no phone. Therefore it is used as a small computer to access the internet.

Maybe that is what the OP was talking about.

3 ipods

1 laptop, maybe 2

1 ipad

2 cells

possibly a kindle

are all coming along with us

try and go away for vacation, yet technology has to come with us

and we are not getting any minutes to use the wifi...

and yet we still have to bring it all...

unless i can get the hubs to get all his comics on the ipad before we go, if not the laptop will be holding the ones to transfer at his leisure.

This made me giggle.. I thought I was bad. :)

Yes. I was talking about the iPod Touch. I should have been clear about that in the first place.

Ah, I am thinking about the "traditional" Ipod that is pretty much for music. The newer Ipod Touch is like a iphone, but no phone. Therefore it is used as a small computer to access the internet.

My IPhone is pretty much like a phone, too . . . most of the time without the phone part.

Archived