Did Secure Horizons pay any part of your onboard medical bill?

impartfish

The people at Secure Horizons won't tell me if they will cover any medical expenses we may happen to have while on a Carnival cruise. So, I'm wondering if anyone has had a medical problem arise while onboard and if their Secure Horizons coverage paid any of the charges?

Thanks for the help!

Most US health care providers do not cover medical expenses outside of the US. The ship is "foreign" country. Which is why people purchase travel insurance that also covers medical expenses up to a particular amount.

I'd call again and ask if coverage extends outside of the US.

Whether they do or not depends on your policy.

However, I can almost guarantee, that if you require medical services, that you will not be able to just give them your insurance card and walk away.

All medical services are a cash/ credit card only basis, THEN, when you return, you file for reimbursement.

Just to add more info and to possibly help a little, You and I could work at different places, have the same insurance company, but have different coverages. You need to talk to your employers Human Resources department and ask if you have international coverage.

I have international coverage but it's limited to "Out of Network" coverage. Therefore, higher deductable and only about 50% coverage.

Check your policies. I do know if you get hurt on one of their excursions put on by Carnival, they will treat you for free for the injury you sustained on their excursion.

Outside of that you are on your own, and often it will be charged to your S & S card and they will give you the paperwork to mail to your carrier (or travel insurance for reimbursement)

from you own insurance company, please, do not rely on anything said here!

Sounds like you need a very clear and specific reply from your insurance carrier, not rom any kind hearted guess work any of us might provide.

I have Blue Cross and when I called them they said that they would definitely cover us if we needed medical attention outside of the U.S., but that some of it may have to be paid up front and then re-imbursed. I would definitely get your answer from them and also definitely supplement with travel insurance.

My Dad had to be air evacuated from Cabo on our Celebrity Mercury cruise. He had been treated in onboard hospital, then taken to Cabo hospital. From there he was put on a jet back to San Diego.

Before leaving the ship, we paid their bills with a credit card.

In Cabo, we had to come up with $12,000 on a Sunday, pre-paid, before he was allowed on jet.

Bottom line...cruise insurance paid for the non used portion of the trip.

Secure Horizon paid for the entire hospitalnand air evacuation...minus my dads co-pay.

In addition to getting all the prepaid money back, the great news is my dad recovered from this illness ( pneumonia)

The people on Celebrity exhibited AMAZING customer service, allowing us to make complimentary ship to shore calls to San Diego, prior to our arrival in Cabo. The entire staff were comforting and helpful during an incredibly difficult time.

Hope that this re-assures you....First..yes, buy travel insurance for the cruise and travel part of reimbursement. secondly..Secure Horizons will come through.

Dad passed away peacefully on April 2...two months after a family cruise on Celebrity Solstice

It was my Dads 54th cruise.

We decorated His celebration of life with lots of old cruise magazine pictures.

His eulogy said " He left on his final journey on April 2...port of call..Heaven"

Travel safely, my friend.

The people at Secure Horizons won't tell me if they will cover any medical expenses we may happen to have while on a Carnival cruise. So, I'm wondering if anyone has had a medical problem arise while onboard and if their Secure Horizons coverage paid any of the charges?

Thanks for the help!

My Dw used to work for Secure.. They will cover all your costs BUT you have to pay them upfront and they will reimburse you.

Thanks for the help!

I am a loyal NCL cruiser and this is the first time I came to the Carnival board. I know it doesn't make any difference which line you cruise for the insurance but be prepared to wait a long time to get SH to pay off. In December 2010 DH developed a major bacterial infection while on board (due to a recent eye surgery a few days before the cruise). We had shipboard expenses as well as seeing a doctor while in Tortola which we submitted a claim in beginning of Jan. We waited and waited then started calling. We were told it was never received several times and then when they finally admitted that they got it they said it was being processed. We called many more times and said that we should be getting something soon. I really don't remember exactly how many times we called but it was in the dozens. We didn't even care about if they paid or not we just wanted the EOB so that we could submit it to our travel insurance company. We finally filed a complaint with Medicare and low and behold the check was written and sent out that day!

They did pay more than I thought they would though. They actually paid for the foreign fees that were on my credit card.

Hope you don't need it but if you do be prepared to wait a while for it.

Archived