Queen Elizabeth II Noisy & Vibration in cabins on Deck 1

enthusedtooth

While I can understand not getting the best cabin when paying bargain basement prices, any cabin for passenger occupancy should have certain minimum standards. This would include not having excessive vibrations or noise to the extent where you can't even sleep at night. It's obvious Cunard uses this section of cabins for staff members, and perhaps they should be pulled out of inventory for passengers if they are that bad. I know walking through the area and hearing the noise and feeling the vibrations I would not be happy regardless of what I paid.

For me the bigger issue is that Cunard is having to resort to bargain basement pricing to fill ships. It's a shame there is only a small niche of people interested in this style of cruising because it's so wonderful. I worry that Cunard will continue to dumb down the experience to appeal to a broader scope of passengers and if they do that, you can expect the experience to be diluted with each passing year. I hope that doesn't happen, but when I see rates of 575 Euros for a 14 day cruise I realize something has gotta give. Most likely the onboard quality and the passenger demographics. People that really should not sail on Cunard but end up booking them anyway because it's so cheap. Not a good thing.

Please don't stereotype - not all of us can book months in advance so last minute is the way to go. We love cunard and count ourselves classy enough to be on board. Booking late does not mean you expect Butlins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I booked this cruise 13 days from sailing, as an 'extra' holiday. I have sailed many times with Cunard in categories ranging from OV to QG, and am a Diamond member.

I had never seen so many red stripes when leaving and returning to the ship.

A very large proportion of the passengers were new to Cunard and many were non English speaking.

There was also a larger proportion of children aboard than I would have expected for early July, due to the school term times on the continent.

Many of the children were well behaved but there were others who weren't and didn't seem to understand shipboard etiquette and neither did the adults accompanying them.

Generally, the cruise didn't have the normal Cunard ambiance and reflected the large number of continental passengers aboard. It wasn't quite 'Butlins' but certainly not what I have come to expect from a Cunard cruise.

Probably more like I would imagine a Costa or MSC shipboard experience to be like.

I can understand that Cunard need to fill their ships, but when so many cabins have to be discounted at virtually giveaway prices the experience will ultimately be diluted.

Initial brochure pricing needs to be set at a more realistic level to encourage people to book earlier.

The two posters who experienced vibration need to understand that ships do move and vibrate, but having viewed the youtube videos I think that a mountain was being made of a molehill.

The rattling on the bunk steps could have easily been remedied by using a little ingenuity (e.g. using a towel to dampen the noise) and the glasses on the shelf, for pity's sake just move them apart! Did they spend the whole cruise in the bathroom? :rolleyes:

One of the posters was moved to a better cabin for half of his cruise, so his grumbling paid off but still he seeks 'justice'? Presumably he won't be happy until his whole cruise cost is repaid?

The two posters who experienced vibration need to understand that ships do move and vibrate, but having viewed the youtube videos I think that a mountain was being made of a molehill.

The rattling on the bunk steps could have easily been remedied by using a little ingenuity (e.g. using a towel to dampen the noise) and the glasses on the shelf, for pity's sake just move them apart! Did they spend the whole cruise in the bathroom? :rolleyes:

No he is not making a mountain out of a molehill. As Eroller and I have experienced, you can feel this vibration outside of the cabins in that corridor. Fare paying passengers should not be put in those cabins no matter how little they paid. Vincente put those glasses side by side on the video to illustrate how bad the vibration was.

I can imagine that there would be a lot of new and non-English speaking passengers on a ship that is stationed in the Mediterranean for months on end. I'm not sure why Cunard feel the need to do this when I wonder if they could fill the ships better with roundtrips from Southampton.

Not about deck 1 specifically but regarding Cunard's handling of noise complaints...We were on the QE three years ago and had some strange noise in the cabin, almost as if something like a metal ball was rolling above the ceiling tiles, and then banging when it reached each side. We complained on several occasions to the Purser as it was really affecting our sleep on a 21 night voyage. They kept telling us it was fixed but it evidently wasn't and in the end we insisted someone come and look at it whilst we were there witnessing it. We aren't particularly light sleepers either! After several complaints, we eventually got moved to another cabin to sleep two nights before the end of the cruise. We were in a Queen's Grill cabin originally and got moved to an oceanview but still had use of our previous cabin so we didn't have to move anything. After 19 nights of disturbed sleep we were just glad to have a quiet cabin to get some quality shut eye! Regardless of the amount you pay, whether that be an inside cabin or a Queen's Grill cabin, you do expect that you can at least have a restful nights sleep. It really affected the quality of the holiday. Yes, ships make noise but I've been on them enough to know the difference between what is normal and what is not. In 16 years we have never had a problem with noise on any Cunard ship but this was something else. We did complain to Cunard on our return but they didn't particularly seem interested.

Edited by bkecky

The two posters who experienced vibration need to understand that ships do move and vibrate,

Lets see I've sailed on over a hundred cruises on the vast majority of cruise lines and a great variety of ships, so I think I understand that ships do move and vibrate. I am also aware of the differences between what is considered acceptable and normal vibration/noise and what should be considered excessive and unacceptable. I wasn't in the OP's cabin so I can't speak specifically about what they experienced, but I did walk through the area frequently and what I felt was excessive. Standing in certain spots at the Purser's Desk I was literally bouncing. I joked about it with the Purser's staff while standing there and they admitted it was pretty bad.

Hello Vicente8,

I see you are new to Cruise Critic and welcome you.

We have not had the same kind of experience (thank goodness!) when sailing on Cunard ships as you unfortunately did, but I understand and agree with your disappointment. There absolutely should be minimal standards or there ought to be remedy or reimbursement.

Unfortunately, I think onboard staff isn't well-training in rectifying all types of problems. Or, they have been provided with no solutions (so they pretend the problem isn't real).

Either everything goes well (as it has for my husband and me) or there is a miserable time on shipboard---which isn't right.

If we had had your experience, we wouldn't be sailing with Cunard, again, either---unless they did the right thing and offered a refund or discount on the next booking---something!

The best to you and your family in the future. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I learn something from every thread I read.

For me the bigger issue is that Cunard is having to resort to bargain basement pricing to fill ships.

it was noticeable too, especially in the dining room. The first week out of Venice was good and people dressed for dinner. A lot got off in Athens on 4th July. Many of those who got on seemed to be sailing on very discounted tickets. Without wishing to sound snobbish, there were an awful lot of people on board who didn't seem very 'Cunard'. It did not ruin the experience for me, but I was left wondering at dinner each evening why some people felt it was too hard to iron a shirt and put on a jacket, or wear a dress (for the ladies).

it was noticeable too, especially in the dining room. The first week out of Venice was good and people dressed for dinner. A lot got off in Athens on 4th July. Many of those who got on seemed to be sailing on very discounted tickets. Without wishing to sound snobbish, there were an awful lot of people on board who didn't seem very 'Cunard'. It did not ruin the experience for me, but I was left wondering at dinner each evening why some people felt it was too hard to iron a shirt and put on a jacket, or wear a dress (for the ladies).

First may I ask how you knew that passengers who embarked on July, 4 "seemed to be sailing on very discounted tickets"?

Secondly, I would love to know what a "Cunard" person seems like to you?

Sorry, my English is not enough to understand you at all, also with help of translators that are not good.

Why you don't think about the possibility that Cunard Knows and sell some cabins of Deck 1 that don't have a minimum of comfort and they cause big problems to passengers that can not sleep at night, every night, also using earplugs?.

I felt tickle in my toes on bed, and the sound of the engine cycles in my ears through the pillow, even with earplugs, every night, during one week.

Why do you think I am here writing in English when is so hard for me?.

To complain, protest against Cunard for the damage they have done to us, and to warn future travelers, so what happened to my family, other travelers will not happen.

They were supposed to be a happy holiday, but it turned into a nightmare due to some problems they have known for years, and they are still selling those cabins.

As I read this thread, it makes me wonder just what you are after? From what I can understand Cunard did find you another cabin after seven days so I would expect the "nightmare" ended on the seventh day. And I am trying to understand what damage you incurred, I would guess a lack of sleep and endless trips to the purser. I imagine that justice would be compensation for those seven days. And maybe a little extra for the tack that came loose. Am I correct? :)

First may I ask how you knew that passengers who embarked on July, 4 "seemed to be sailing on very discounted tickets"?

A lot of people mentioned what a great deal they got. It's not unusual for those conversations to take place. Also, I saw how low prices dropped on the various world Cunard sites in the lead up to that voyage. So I know they were selling for next to nothing (compared to even what I paid, which was less than what others paid for the same service).

Beside the sudden drop in dining room dress standards after July 4th, the vibe on the ship was different. Even a member of the crew mentioned that to me one day. In his view it had to do with the passenger demographics. More young families (loads of teenagers) and a lot more non English speaking continentals, some of whom really struggled to comprehend what was going on. I was surprised they chose an English speaking cruise line.

Anyway, I didn't hate my holiday at all. Just a very different vibe during the second week out of Athens. Fortunately, Cunard didn't change to suit those who booked and I got what I hoped for out of my cruise experience (and the poor dressers at dinner were a great discussion starter with many of those who were on the week before the 4th).

A lot of people mentioned what a great deal they got. It's not unusual for those conversations to take place. Also, I saw how low prices dropped on the various world Cunard sites in the lead up to that voyage. So I know they were selling for next to nothing (compared to even what I paid, which was less than what others paid for the same service).

Beside the sudden drop in dining room dress standards after July 4th, the vibe on the ship was different. Even a member of the crew mentioned that to me one day. In his view it had to do with the passenger demographics. More young families (loads of teenagers) and a lot more non English speaking continentals, some of whom really struggled to comprehend what was going on. I was surprised they chose an English speaking cruise line.

Anyway, I didn't hate my holiday at all. Just a very different vibe during the second week out of Athens. Fortunately, Cunard didn't change to suit those who booked and I got what I hoped for out of my cruise experience (and the poor dressers at dinner were a great discussion starter with many of those who were on the week before the 4th).

Well, I noticed the teenagers on the Transatlantic home in July last year. Sailing to England was refined and quiet and much the same as it always has been on the QM2. But on the way back there were lots of teenagers aboard. I am not sure if that was due to the price or maybe school vacation for England's school kids, but they were running rampant through the corridors and public places. In fact they knocked an elderly man over. They also were diving in the pool in a no diving zone and parents paid no attention to any of it. In the past I have never seen many young people or children on the QM2.

But from what I see these days, that is the norm for any parenting the kids receive. So lots of what you mention I think might not be what they paid, but the way things are in society nowadays.

As far as dress. it was fine and people did remain true to the dress code.:)

To me a Cunard person is someone that appreciates tradition, formality, and doesn't mind a structured cruising environment such as two sittings for dinner with assigned tables. One thing Cunard isn't is "freestyle". It's also someone that enjoys dressing up after 6pm and for dinner and perhaps has a tux or gown in their wardrobe.

I think when bargain basement rates are offered, it can attract people to Cunard that really have no business sailing on Cunard. People that want a very casual, freestyle type experience. Those people would be better suited on less formal and structured lines like NCL, Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival. In fact on my last Cunard cruise I overheard several passengers complain about the formal dress code compared to other lines. My response is to BOOK THOSE OTHER LINES and quit trying to change Cunard!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately many people don't do their research and act on price alone. Sometimes too travel agents don't qualify the client and will book clients on a cruise line they are really not suited for. These passengers may end up disappointed with Cunard, and frankly if they are not willing to adhere to the dress code standards on Cunard it diminishes the experience for everyone else that loves that aspect of Cunard.

Cunard is essentially the last hold out of a structured, traditional, formal cruise environment. I don't want to see that change just because Cunard is trying to appeal to a broader market share with bargain basement pricing. If that becomes a reality and the Cunard experience gets "dumbed down" I might as well sail on Princess or Royal Caribbean.

I'll also add I don't want to see Cunard try to become the next "family friendly" cruise line adding promotions like "kids sail free" to attract the lucrative family market. Cunard is essentially an adult experience. Yes there are kids onboard but usually not that many and the kids facilities are not what I would call extensive. Again just about every other major cruise line sailing today is great for families, so let Cunard remain a primarily adult experience. Not having a ship overrun with kids is another reason I enjoy sailing on Cunard.

Edited by eroller

To me a Cunard person is someone that appreciates tradition, formality, and doesn't mind a structured cruising environment such as two sittings for dinner with assigned tables. One thing Cunard isn't is "freestyle". It's also someone that enjoys dressing up after 6pm and for dinner and perhaps has a tux or gown in their wardrobe.

I think when bargain basement rates are offered, it can attract people to Cunard that really have no business sailing on Cunard. People that want a very casual, freestyle type experience. Those people would be better suited on less formal and structured lines like NCL, Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival. In fact on my last Cunard cruise I overheard several passengers complain about the formal dress code compared to other lines. My response is to BOOK THOSE OTHER LINES and quit trying to change Cunard!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately many people don't do their research and act on price alone. Sometimes too travel agents don't qualify the client and will book clients on a cruise line they are really not suited for. These passengers may end up disappointed with Cunard, and frankly if they are not willing to adhere to the dress code standards on Cunard it diminishes the experience for everyone else that loves that aspect of Cunard.

Cunard is essentially the last hold out of a structured, traditional, formal cruise environment. I don't want to see that change just because Cunard is trying to appeal to a broader market share with bargain basement pricing. If that becomes a reality and the Cunard experience gets "dumbed down" I might as well sail on Princess or Royal Caribbean.

Well, generally I agree with you. The experience of a Cunard cruise is a very traditional experience and most passengers adhere to the Cunard tradition.

That said, until Cunard interviews perspective passengers about their shipboard psyche, turning away those that don't fit in, I think there is little anyone can do about it. The best hope and more likely the probable scenario is that those people will choose the "great deal" , sail on the Cunard ship and not enjoy the traditional approach, not ever to return. To me it is difficult to think that they will want to go back and buck the entire system.

Remember the saying, "Birds of a feather flock together" and I really think that is true on a ship as anywhere else.:)

Edited by The Real PM

...That said, until Cunard interviews perspective passengers about their shipboard psyche, turning away those that don't fit in, I think there is little anyone can do about it....

If they start that I won't have an ice cream cone's chance in hell of ever setting foot on another Cunard ship :eek:

J

We had similar vibrations when we were aft on a couple of Celebrity, Disney and even Princess ships. We normally just stuck tissue or a hand towel around the glasses, or between any two hard subtsances, to stop the clatter. As for the actual vibrations...The vibrations helped us sleep...sort of like being in one of those vibrating chairs or beds.

I'll just booked a room on the Queen Elizabeth room 5050 (easy cabin number to remember). Anyone know if this room is "noisy" or "vibrates" a lot?

Edited by Duane T