Uniworld Empress - European Mkt. Dec. 2011

seabee22

We have just booked our second Uniworld Riverboat Cruise .... This time we are going Vienna to Nuremberg, with an extension to Prague for Christmas.

Please join us on the thread, and give advice ( previous travelers) and / or if you are going as well, let's discuss.

Seabee22 and Shipmate - Plano, Texas :D:)

Seebee22,

I did this cruise last December. I loved every minute of it. Having said that, the weather was not kind :( Due to high water levels and a barge running amok, the ship was not in Vienna to meet us. Uniworld put us up at the InterContinental for the night and we were able to board the ship the next evening. It snowed like crazy and was very cold the entire week. I recommend hats, gloves, scarfs and waterproof shoes. All went well until we reached Regensberg. The Danube froze up and no ships were allowed to sail:(

But Uniworld, being the first class operation they are, took good care of us. We might have a missed an hour or two more exploration time in Nuremberg, but nothing more. Enjoy the markets, especially the one at the Palace of Thurn and Taxis in Regensberg. It was absolutely enchanting with the torches lining the walking paths and the snow coming down..can you tell this was my favorite market? :) If you have any questions, ask away. I will do my best to answer them.

Bree

Seabees!

Saw your post on the Russia thread and wish you a good time on the xmas market. I'm glad to see you trying another river cruise after the River Victoria. She was much improved by the time we got on board, probably because of the comments by your cruise and one following.

That said, enjoy the markets. We did a bus trip of the markets in Germany in 2005 and had a great time but I think it would be better using the rivers as transit, not having to get your suitcase out at 6:00 each am.

The weather in '05 was not bad, cool but only snowed briefly up in the mountains. We had taken a bus to a wood carver and stopped by the Silent Night chapel.

Anyway, enjoy

Lynette

Lynette :

Thanks ... I am pleased to hear form you -- and happy your trip was great. I know that the Victoria had to get better ... and several people have told me their trips were wonderful.. with no problems and no food problems...

We are taking the Uniworld European Holiday markets Riverboat Cruise in December - and am very pleased that Uniworld has been so wonderful to us. My wife is recovered, we are happy enjoying the hot summer in Texas in our pool. - Looking forward to the Christmas in Prague and the Markets - in the Snow and Cold... bring it on.....

• 2 weeks later...
The trip sounds wonderful and we are thinking about taking this as well. We would be linking up with a group from Georgetown, Texas that plan to come so you'll have several Texans on the boat with you.

Vagabond;

We would welcome the opportunity to travel with some other "Texans" as we always have fun when several of us get together. We are excited about this trip as the opportunity for me to go to that part of the world is tremendous. My wife has been there on land tours but, not on a Riverboat Cruise. ( Our first was the Riverboat Cruise - Moscow to St Petersburg in May) We wanted to do a UNIWORLD owned boat this time, as we have been told it is so much better than the leased boats in Russia.

Please join us...

Seabee and Shipmate / Plano, Texas:D:)

We did this cruise last December and loved it. Snow every day made it even more beautiful. Some of the photos along the Danube looked like black & whites. If possible, go to Vienna a day early - it's a beautiful city and the smaller markets there are wonderful. We happen to love Uniworld - we've been on four of their river cruises and will probably do more. Enjoy this wonderful trip.

We did this cruise last December and loved it. Snow every day made it even more beautiful. Some of the photos along the Danube looked like black & whites. If possible, go to Vienna a day early - it's a beautiful city and the smaller markets there are wonderful. We happen to love Uniworld - we've been on four of their river cruises and will probably do more. Enjoy this wonderful trip.

Betty Lu :

Thanks for the info... yeah, I do expect snow .... and cold, and wet, and wind, and snow, and ice ... maybe a "frozen river", here and there, but my wife says we are going... so we are going. - And I am looking forward to it .....

Last Christmas Day it was 2 degrees in Prague :eek:

Guess I will just have to buy me some snow boots, and long johns for the trip.

Ron / Seabee /Plano, Texas

Hi Seabee22

Did this cruise last december, we were on the sailing that resulted in Bree's delayed departure. Props to Uniworld and the Crew/staff who worked very hard to maintain our itinerary while we were stuck in Regensberg.

We liked it so much we are returning to Uniworld this Christmas, only going from Nuremberg back up to Frankfurt. This time we will shop for our own Christmas decorations, as last years supply went to family and friends.

We agree with everything Bree said including the Turin & Taxais palace market (be advised there is an admission fee to that market, which was worth the money).

We are also open to questions about the cruise and cities.

Enjoy your trip and try the "Sylvaner" (sp) wine in Bavaria.

Thanks for the info..... We are excited about this "Cold Trip" .. and will have to prepare the best we can - as we are not cold weather people. We have to get the Barcelona to Galveston Cruise done in Oct. - then we can really start planning for the Christmas Trip.

Seabee / Ron / Plano, TX

Thanks for the info..... We are excited about this "Cold Trip" .. and will have to prepare the best we can - as we are not cold weather people. We have to get the Barcelona to Galveston Cruise done in Oct. - then we can really start planning for the Christmas Trip.

Seabee / Ron / Plano, TX

Seabee, being warm weather folks with an aversion to winter ourselves, we were leary of the cold too.

Suggestions:

1. Get liner socks and a pair of light but waterproof hiking shoes. If our experience is any guide we were walking on icy streets much of the time. Campmore catalog is a good source for the socks. Also chemical glove and shoe warmer inserts are good to have and help a lot.

2. Head coverings of your prefered type that cover both the head and ears. I used a knit ski hat and fleece hood and that was bearly enought.

3. Layers! Multiple layers of clothing let you adapt to changing conditions. We use silk long underwear as a starting point, light warm and very littler space in the bags. (again see Campmore)

Good luck and enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

We just signed up for this cruise. I expect that this forum is as close to a roll call as any. Looking forward to meeting you seabee22. I'm also an ex-sailor.

Thanks for the info that's been offered so far. Thinking about spending a day or two extra in Vienna. Have been there before and have to have a Sacher Tort from the original source (Sacher Hotel). Any other suggestions are appreciated.

We just signed up for this cruise. I expect that this forum is as close to a roll call as any. Looking forward to meeting you seabee22. I'm also an ex-sailor.

Thanks for the info that's been offered so far. Thinking about spending a day or two extra in Vienna. Have been there before and have to have a Sacher Tort from the original source (Sacher Hotel). Any other suggestions are appreciated.

We are going to PRAGUE on the extension trip after the Riverboat Cruise & Holiday Markets, - and I understand the average temp last December was in the single digits????

Christmas Day in Prague last year the temp. was + 2 degrees F.............?

So after this record heat wave we are having in North Texas - we will be looking forward to some cold. We weill just have to buy all new clothes before we go, - as we do not have winter stuff warm enough for that kind of cold. - Seabee

Based on experience ..... 10 degrees F or (-10) degrees F it all feels the same (Cold). It's the wind factor that really matters. That +10 degrees can feel very worse than the -10 F in any sort of wind.

I just saw that Dallas has had 33 days of over 100 degrees. WHEW!!! That's steamy.

Have a good time on the Christmas cruise!

Based on experience ..... 10 degrees F or (-10) degrees F it all feels the same (Cold). It's the wind factor that really matters. That +10 degrees can feel very worse than the -10 F in any sort of wind.

I just saw that Dallas has had 33 days of over 100 degrees. WHEW!!! That's steamy.

Have a good time on the Christmas cruise!

Paulinda;

My daughter lives in Hudson, WI - and we have visited her there and in Minneapolis, MN when she lived there. It was so cold my eye lashes froze !!! - and yes - we are having a major heat wave in N. Texas... 108 yesterday and no relief in sight. Maybe by mid Sept . - it will start to cool down.

Thanks.... Seabee

• 3 months later...
Looks like we have about 22 people coming from Georgetown, TX to this cruise. Should be a lot of fun.

Hope to see y'all there.

Howdy !!!

Happy to hear other Texas people will be making this trip.... We are from Plano north of Dallas, and are really looking forward to this Holiday Markets Trip.... It looks like it is going to be COLD !!!

Seabee & Shipmate / Plano, Texas :D:)

:)

To Seabee and Shipmate,

How about taking a fake fur red hat from Russia to keep your head warm??????

Sheila

Hi Sheila :

I have already requested from my Son - permission to wear his "fake fur - Red Hat you sent from Russia" on our trip to Vienna - Nuremberg - and mainly on our side trip to Prague 12/ 22 - 12/26. I understand the temp last Christmas Day was 2 degrees in Prague. (My Shipmate has already captured the Bonus Hat you sent for herself)

Hope you are doing well.................

Seabee and Shipmate:D:)

• 3 weeks later...

Fellow Texans from Georgetown area...... Vagabond and all...

We are all set to go... leaving on AA # 50 12/14 --- to London, BA # 6641 - London to Vienna ....

Packing all the warm clothing we can ... will hope to see ya'll there ...

Seabee / Ron / Plano :D

Hi Seabee,

Mentioned Cruise Critic at a social where we picked up our tickets and the travel coordinator answered some questions but I'm not sure whether any of the other folks signed up. We're headed over on the 12th to spend a couple extra days in Vienna. Would have done Prague but we want to be back home for Christmas.

I'm sure we'll meet once we get onboard. There aren't that many people on the cruise. Hoping the weather is nice enough that we don't run into any ice, although it looks like UniWorld does a good job in handling the excursions, if they do.

Also packing our cold weather gear. Lived in northern VA for a couple real cold winters and kept some of the coats. Actually getting a couple freezes here before leaving to get some practice.

Have a good flight and we'll see y'all on the boat.

Archived