wine bottle opener in carry-on or checked?

Jolimont

We're DRIVING to port today and I know our 2 bottles of wine must go in our carry-on, but where do I put the wine bottle opener? It's a typical cork screw thing, nothing too scary about it. If we were flying I don't think I could take it at all, but since we're driving I'm thinking it'll go through in the checked luggage that Carnival will check. What do you think?

Cork screws are allowed on airplanes -as long as there is no knife blade.

As for Carnival, unless the cork screw has a blade of 4 inches or more, there shouldn't be an issue of any kind. Note: unless your corkscrew is a sword, I don't think I ever seen one with a knife over an inch or two.

Yes it can be carried on with problem.

TSA at TF Green in Providence took mine from my back pack. Don't know if it was because he needed one, but said it had a blade (be it only 1/2 inch) and also a sharp pointy thing that can be used as a weapon. I was not very happy, but know two things. One, don't argue with persons with guns; two, if you want to fly hassle free and make your flight, don't argue with TSA. (As I posted on another thread, a little common sense goes a long way, unfortunately common sense is not that common).

Yes it can be carried on with problem.

TSA at TF Green in Providence took mine from my back pack. Don't know if it was because he needed one, but said it had a blade (be it only 1/2 inch) and also a sharp pointy thing that can be used as a weapon. I was not very happy, but know two things. One, don't argue with persons with guns; two, if you want to fly hassle free and make your flight, don't argue with TSA. (As I posted on another thread, a little common sense goes a long way, unfortunately common sense is not that common).

A blade of any size is a no no, even though in first class they will hand you a knife for your food. A corkscrew is ok, though. They are available with bladeless foil cutters which are supposed to be TSA friendly, too.

I like to play it safe.

I have seen them confiscate some very strange things over the years, while at other times they allow something that is potentially a weapon. We are at the mercy of TSA and how they act depends on their mood at that particular time.

Usually we fly down to a port the evening before, and purchase wine there. So it is an easy thing to place the wine opener in our (checked luggage) suitcase, on the top, and remove it while at the hotel and place it in with either the wine that we now purchase, or in a carry on bag.

Carry-on TSA rules are for flying only-- not for cruising. You can bring the corkscrew in either your carry-on or your checked luggage. TSA has nothing to do with cruises.

so true, but unfortunately most of us have to fly to cruise.:(

So I use the two step plan, put it in the checked luggage on the plane, yet easily accessible so that I can transfer it to my carry on for the cruise ship.

Archived